Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Odd line in an older gentleman's profile. Ideas?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pamioakley
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Odd line in an older gentleman's profile. Ideas?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
My guess is that he is not a religious man and doesn't want you to try to reform him. I've never seen it before, but I have known men in my life that were so anti-church that the possibility exists they would put something like this on their profile.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Odd line in an older gentleman's profile. Ideas?
Posted: 8/3/2013 5:43:47 PM
I have seen a number of womens profiles, which prominently express their desire for a religious mate, in one way or another. And though I have yet to have had a woman contact me online for the express purpose of proselytizing, I have run into a lot of it in social situations. I imagine it depends on your location.

You can't know for sure of course, some people get caught up with griping in their profiles. I would bet that he pursued one or more women who he failed to properly vet in advance, and then was embarrassed and disappointed when they turned out to be more religious than he is.

It's also possible that that is his way of cagily complaining that he's only after FWB's, and any woman with serious expectations need not apply. I've run across a few guys like that too.
Posted: 8/3/2013 5:45:13 PM
I've seen many profiles from women who are only interested in Christian men and are not interested in meeting men who are not. I have under interests "Bored Again Christians" as a subtle hint that the reader will not get me attend an organized religious activity. I can respect their views without trying to convert them to mine and I hope they can reciprocate.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/3/2013 5:45:55 PM

I'm sure there are many people who attempt to convert everyone they date--and he knows he has NO interest in that experience and is making it clear.

This would be my guess as well.

PS If you are trying to recruit a man to join your church, I'm not him.

In other words, he has no use for church flavored guilt trips. I feel and share his peace. :-)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/3/2013 10:50:43 PM

People from time to time will use their profiles as a bit of passive-aggressive way to 'lash out' at the last bad date/match they experienced in here.

There's a woman in a neighboring town to me that is fairly attractive looking, but has a really grumpy, angry profile - and she keeps changing it about every week or so, usually with a new line grumbling about how she won't tolerate men who do 'this'. I've seen the changes happen so many times now I actually TRY to find her profile every week or so to find out what she's b*tching about now. Some of it is just hilarious. I often wonder if her Facebook page has become the victim of her bitter tidings as well.

Maybe the dude just had a bad experience with hislast date being a surprise pop-up Bible thumper or something...
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2013 10:56:33 PM
He sounds like a man who refuses to prostate himself at the altar of organized religion. However if such an individual proclaims such in his profile it would lead me to think he is seeking an altar he feels comfortable being prostated before. It may have nothing to do with religion but more with worship.Worship is a product of this world, not the next.IMHOOA
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2013 2:15:00 AM
He must be from the south like myself....I quit dating because of it. Nothings more sickening than a bible belt Southern belle....every other word out of their mouth is the Lord this and Jesus that.....the simple minded ignorance is discusting.
 Walts
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/4/2013 4:12:59 AM
I don't find the line "odd" at all, especially when comparing to some of the other "lines" I've read out there.

Basically, I'm assuming this

I am guessing that he is not religious...

and, at his age, has had enough of the people that do not understand that not everyone believes in the same thing. I'm only 52 and I have had enough of these "types", so I could imagine his frustrations.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/4/2013 9:23:14 AM

I would think he is not religious or not willing to leave his church.

PS If you are trying to recruit a man to join the church of you, I'm not him.

He is unwilling to kowtow to self-centered females.

PS: Both statements apply in my case.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/5/2013 3:42:10 PM
Shortly after my brother passed away a couple of Jehovah's came knocking at my door so I invited them in. My good friend was over visiting at the time and after listening to the conversation for a bit ( I was in tears) she politely ushered them out.

I was surprised that she would do that and I told her so. Her response to me was....."You shouldn't have invited them in, especially when you're so vulnerable, they could have turned you into one of them."

Shades of "Body Snatchers" comes to mind...haha

...mae
 ohenryx
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 2:30:02 PM
I have a very similar statement in my profile. Worded differently, but the same meaning.

I am not religious, but don't mind if you are. (As long as you don't try to save me -- smile).

I’m sure it’s not applicable to anyone in this thread, but there are some women on this site who are … how to put this in a politically correct way? I guess it can’t be said in a PC fashion. There are some women on this site who are religious nut jobs. I have had women try to save my soul in their initial messages. And just like the gentleman the OP was talking about, I ain’t interested.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2013 3:47:09 PM
^^^where's a "not worthy" emoticon when you need one? :-)

at his age, has had enough of the people that do not understand that not everyone believes in the same thing. I'm only 52 and I have had enough of these "types", so I could imagine his frustrations.

i agree with Walts 100%.

for some reason, i keep getting emails from religious types and i am just NOT interested. there is one man here in town who continually deletes and recreates profiles - most with the word "godly" in them - and he always, ALWAYS emails me. it got to the point that i put this line in my profile:

If religion and/or spirituality of ANY flavour are of even slight importance to you, please go to another profile.

of course, as we all know, people rarely read profiles!

LOL!

it's not just christians - i had 2 longer term relationships 7 years apart with men who were devout pagans, and, in both cases, i do think my non-believer status, and my unwillingness to become a convert, had something to do with the end of the relationships.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2013 2:45:33 AM
"had a woman contact me online for the express purpose of proselytizing"

I'm sure there have been many who have contacted users here for that ;)
 Maleman999
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/20/2013 8:50:54 AM
I recall a time when I was getting friendly with a woman who invited me to to go to a picnic/barbecue with her. When I asked who was going, she said it was friends ans some family members. When I pressed for more details, I found out it was a church event, which meant during the barbecue, they would have a church service along with any other religious rituals. So when I finally found that out, I declined the invitation. What I thought would be a date would have turned into a recruitment assignment. Oddly enough, about a couple of years later, I ran into the same situation with another woman. I guess I had "He can be converted" stamped on my forehead without knowing it.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/20/2013 7:33:54 PM
Religion is another polarizing field - like politics; where the attitude of, "If you're not with us, you're against us" seems a little TOO prevalent. To me, requiring participation and obedience to one specific house of worship doesn't sound like a religion; sounds more like a cult. Whatever variances of belief you have, Love has proven time and time again to be absolutely BLIND to those differences.

I believe that relationships should start as a 'contemporary' friendship first, but people are going to believe what they want to believe - and there's plenty of profiles out there that put 'God First' so you know up front. It's up to each person to decide if they want God ahead of their relationships, and it's it's up to everyone else to decide if you want to tolerate that belief - or not.

Obviously the guy from the OP won't change beliefs for a relationship - at least, not to the degree he's probably been asked to change before. If people put lines in their profile in 'retaliation' for something negative that's happened before, it tends to be an exaggeration - but to what degree, nobody can be really sure.
 Maleman999
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/7/2013 9:46:11 AM

Msg 44: To me, requiring participation and obedience to one specific house of worship doesn't sound like a religion; sounds more like a cult.

Do you mean like Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, or any other religion or any non-Christian religion?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/7/2013 4:01:39 PM
I am an Atheist...and I state so on my profile..it weeds out believers.
Yes, I have received mails from POF members attempting to save my soul...

As well, I'm sure - a few messages that didn't involve religion, per se... but they implied they wanted to get you to scream, "Oh God, Oh God!" a few times. ;)
 jlynn1955
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2013 7:19:44 PM
Seems obvious to me. I don't understand why it struck a nerve with you. I don't understand why it's that important to you to know why he said that.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/8/2013 3:37:48 AM

He must be from the south like myself....I quit dating because of it. Nothings more sickening than a bible belt Southern belle....every other word out of their mouth is the Lord this and Jesus that.....the simple minded ignorance is discusting.

^^^^^^^I run across many men like that in the south, so don't think it's just the women.
It's the type.

I avoid interests that list Jesus/God/church..Half use it to make you think they dont just want to jump your bones.
They still do.

I find thats the one "sin" some are not afraid of committing other than judging others.

That one line in a profile would not bother me.

Maybe he just broke up with a snake handler?
 cooldog65
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2013 4:29:11 AM
The OP and I are both from Washington state which is part of the unchurched belt. The Northwest is the least religious part of the United States.

I think stating non-religious on my profile is sufficient enough.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/8/2013 11:31:43 AM
The OP and I are both from Washington state which is part of the unchurched belt. The Northwest is the least religious part of the United States.

You have obviously never been to Yakima - heavily Catholic. Just how Catholic? Some time back, radio stations here were banned from playing Billy Joel's Only the Good Die Young because the people here objected to the line "Catholic girls start much too late".

Being non-religious, I am like a fish out of water here.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2013 5:06:16 AM
Sorry but it's pretty obvious for me.
He isn't religious, and probably had a few bad experience with women trying to shove religion down his throat.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2013 6:15:26 AM
Yes, I have had an offer for my "pretty blue eyes to see God."

At first I was like 'Alright! Lets Do it!' ( I AM a guy after all and do occasioanlly have those 'non-thinking' moments)...then I found out they really DID want me to see God...and drag me along every few days so I could repeat the experience.

Maybe he has had too many of these requests?
Either way, its very clear to me that he isnt interested in being converted or saved.
He has most likely saved himself in whatever fashion he chose.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/15/2013 3:54:03 AM
People from time to time will use their profiles as a bit of passive-aggressive way to 'lash out' at the last bad date/match they experienced in here.

There's a woman in a neighboring town to me that is fairly attractive looking, but has a really grumpy, angry profile - and she keeps changing it about every week or so, usually with a new line grumbling about how she won't tolerate men who do 'this'. I've seen the changes happen so many times now I actually TRY to find her profile every week or so to find out what she's b*tching about now. Some of it is just hilarious. I often wonder if her Facebook page has become the victim of her bitter tidings as well.

Maybe the dude just had a bad experience with hislast date being a surprise pop-up Bible thumper or something...

Danimal....funny you mention this, there's this woman that was once on this site that I know (mere acquaintence) that's on FB...she's constantly taking selfies of her at a local bar, and even complains about "I'm here ,sitting alone at the bar, crying my eyes out!" Trying to drum up some sympathy from her followers. She whines about how broke she is, but yet she's taking pictures of whatever money she's spent on something. She's trying to get people to feel sorry for her. Complaining she can't meet a "nice guy". It's gotten to the point where it's embarrassing to read.

It's the type.

I avoid interests that list Jesus/God/church..Half use it to make you think they dont just want to jump your bones.
They still do.

I find thats the one "sin" some are not afraid of committing other than judging others.

That one line in a profile would not bother me.

Maybe he just broke up with a snake handler?

Funny LOL.....there's actually a friend of mineI know that had a profile online....but she'd never mention such things within the body of her profile. The only indicator of her being Christian was the choice of religion in the drop down when she created the profile.

She is an active member of the church, plays an instrument in the band there and quite involved with her kids ministry, but she leaves all of that completely out of her profile for the reasons some of you have stated here.

"Too much, too soon" ..that's pretty much her explanation. She left it out purposely, and would let the person she's dating find out naturally about her belief systems and such. She figures that's something to be left when in the beginnings of dating.
 Reality.of.Life
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/26/2013 12:45:20 PM
You can google this guy up pretty easy. I am not posting his ID since I do not know it that is acceptable here.

Contrary to some previous speculation he is from Washington State and a Cat-o-lick.

I take his statement at face value. He is not marrying.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Odd line in an older gentleman's profile. Ideas?