Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Whats with Instagram on girls' profiles?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RedSleipnir
Msg: 1
Whats with Instagram on girls' profiles?Page 1 of 1    
Whats up with girls that have their instagram on their POF. Are you trying to collect followers? Are you looking for a guy to look at it but then include something about your additional photos in the opening message? I just don't get it - what are you hoping to achieve by having your instagram account on here?
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 2
Whats with Instagram on girls' profiles?
Posted: 8/12/2013 5:31:20 PM
Why is the worst assumed?

They probably want to show they are not fake, they want you see what they are into (through pictures), their sense of humor, their friends, their lifestyle, etc.

So many men complain about fake women, and you have an issue with them offering more access to who they are? I don't get it.
 RyanohRyan
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/12/2013 5:39:38 PM
Totally lame, undatable girls post their instagrams. Click on..

The "worst" is assumed because this website features the ability to talk about yourself and show pictures, and the majority of (if not all) those who post instagram crap have very little on their profile.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/12/2013 6:36:40 PM
Oh @ Ryan

Men do this too, I find it tasteless only because it sounds like advertising in the way they throw it out there.
 LeeleePhoenix
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/12/2013 6:47:41 PM
Maybe they're trying to collect followers. Maybe they see it as a way to show more pics of themselves. Maybe they use Instagram more and would prefer to communicate on there. I don't see the problem here. I'd post mine but I have copious family and friends pics on there.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/13/2013 8:29:32 AM
I dont use instagram, but many of my buddies do...they just like to share thier likes and dislikes through that site and they enjoy photography. They are not collecting followers but they do appreciate when someone compliments thier pictures. Is that a terrible thing? Some of them will have a couple of pictures upladed here, and the pictures they know POF wont like, they put on instagram and share that way. For example, a chef may want to have an awesome platter of food as his/her main pic...but POF wont allow that so they shuttle it off to instagram and tell folks about it. Or super sexy pictures sometimes get reported here but are fine over there.

Like anything, if your 'spidey senses' are saying something is fishy, then just move on to another profile.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/13/2013 9:40:35 AM
I have one instagram picture on my profile but it was just because I was playing around with different effects and filters. I'm certainly not looking for "followers" ... I've got enough weirdos following me on here already lol
Posted: 8/15/2013 11:37:14 AM

Why is the worst assumed?

Men do this too, I find it tasteless only because it sounds like advertising in the way they throw it out there.

speaking of negative assumptions. i think we have a record here: pot/kettle dynamic executed in the space of two posts.
 Bellagiofan1
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/29/2013 10:10:12 AM
I would believe it's legit if it weren't for the fact that the majority of the time, it's above-average looking women posting their IG up front and not putting any effort into their profile. It's always the same canned 2-3 lines in their About Us section with "Surprise me" or something similar in their First Date section.

It is mathematically impossible that so many women are creating the same profile.

I don't know what kind of scam or to what ends are they creating these profiles. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, they aren't serious about finding someone.

Yes I hear from many women that there are a bunch of not-serious men as well. So the only real solution is to ignore 99% of the profiles on here. Because, at least here in Vegas, when you cull out all the transgender profiles (there are a VERY large number of TS profiles, about 1 in 10), the profiles where women clearly are not taking care of themselves (I'll just leave it at that), the profiles with no effort put in to demonstrate they are serious.... you're left with less than 1%.

When you're left with that small of a percentage, it becomes tedious and for the most part, a waste of time. So naturally, you're going to put less effort into it yourself because it would be foolish to be overly optimistic. The proper thing to do is to move on to more effective means to find what you're looking for.

So then both sides continue the spiral of not taking it seriously (regardless of who thinks what side started it first) and you end up with a site more appropriately called Plenty of Fakes.

I'm trying various creative ways to get some of these people to explain why they're putting up a fake profile, in the hopes that at least one of them will be honest about it, but haven't gotten one yet to spill the beans.
Posted: 8/29/2013 9:18:09 PM
What the hell is instagram? No, I'm not gonna google it. Tired of googling stuff. Got a feeling the instagram-on-POF problem is just the next stupid thing.
 Bearfish13
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/29/2013 9:45:09 PM
I agree with the user that said to prove that isn't fake.. I mean it makes sense, but the thing is 90% of the time I go by my gut and say whoever I meet here is legit
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/30/2013 1:24:54 PM

speaking of negative assumptions. i think we have a record here: pot/kettle dynamic executed in the space of two posts.

I take it you have not seen profiles with 3 lines, 2 pictures, and then a request for people to follow them on IG. It's the way they phrase it on their profile.

I don't assume they want followers or the worst possible scenario, but its all in the way it is presented.
 35brock
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/31/2013 10:45:35 AM
I don't think this is a big deal.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 4:57:40 AM
As with all other things you don't like in profiles - if you don't like it, don't write to them.

Just in case you're being hounded by hundreds of women with Instagram issues, you could just engage the block button multiple times.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/15/2014 5:21:21 PM

I've seen this a lot lately, along with links for Skype and Kik, too.

It's all part of the current "anti-social media" proliferation.

I'm pretty sure if you went on a date with them, they would be paying more attention to their phone than to you.

And that kind of behavior would confirm my description of "anti-social media".
 ScooterSB
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2014 6:37:30 PM
A few things to consider...

1) It is not just women that post their instagram on their profile. Those of use who review profiles in the review forum see it on both genders all the time. People also post links to their facebook, twitter and kik accounts.

2) Posting a like to ANY other social media/messaging/dating site is against site rules. If you see it on someones profile you could polity message them to tell them, or you if you are feeling particularly mean you could report them. Either way, if site Mods find out, the profile could get blocked.

3) Why is instagram a bad thing? It's a fun way to share photos and make them look nice. A number of my photos profile were taken from mine, or others instagram.

There is nothing wrong with people using instagram, if it's not for you don't use it. It is however against POF site rules to post a link to it, so this debate should be irrelevant.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:48 AM

There is nothing wrong with people using instagram, if it's not for you don't use it.

I don't have an Instagram but my kids do and like it. I don't have an issue with it but for noting on a profile (man or woman) on any online dating site would seem to be what OldHag noted:

Ego boost
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2014 3:28:50 AM
I see more "check out my you tube- whatever" in my age range.
Usually the profile has very little in it.
I never do check them out..

Now if I am already communicating with them and they tell me to check something out and I am interested or on the fence about them, I will look at it.
We can't know why one individual does it, just speculate.
As said , if it bothers you click on the next one.

I have seen profiles with their name, work place , e mail addy and phone number.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Whats with Instagram on girls' profiles?