Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What music makes you feel the most intensely?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 1
What music makes you feel the most intensely?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I did a thread search and couldn't find anything on this...And if this isn't the place for this sorry; but it seemed like the music topic made the most sense for a music post.

Went to Foreigner the other night and it was INCREDIBLE. They are a band that my daughter and I absolutely love and with her being deployed, I was trying to enjoy it enough for the both of us.

Afterwards, the times we'd shared jamming to them and others of our favorites, her belting out Jukebox Hero, all the feelings I felt when listening to some of those songs the first time as well as all the good feelings of the associations of the shared appreciation of it just came coursing through, and I teared up more than a little. It made me think how intensely emotional some music and the associations with memories experiencing it are.

What song was playing when you had your first kiss? What band was the band you were into at your first party? Did you ever do a Pink Floyd concert where you experienced them in an altered state? Amazing concert, an album that you start singing the first note with a smile on your face; a song you associate with a person (whether good or bad)..

Music overall seems to draw strong emotion (some can bring intense anger and some sadness, some make it impossible to feel anything but gut tinglingly excited.)

What song/artist/music memory makes you feel intensely, no matter where you are when you hear it?
 I_travel_light
Msg: 2
What music makes you feel the most intensely?
Posted: 9/8/2013 7:41:33 AM
I agree music can be such an amazing experience to share with someone. I love classical. I listen to all kinds, but when I need to get something done or relax, classical will always do it.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2013 9:58:00 PM
Well, let me see: nothing was playing during the first kiss - doesn't mean I didn't hear anything; never listened to music, of any genre, in an altered state; and yes, music can be a very powerful emotive experience.

The genre that I gravitate to, the genre that I identify with the most, is country/folk/bluegrass. While I have found pleasure in many other forms (some never unless we can find pleasure in headaches) and music/songs that I would otherwise never have listened to has moved me very much, nonetheless, c/f/b almost always stirs my heart. There are some songs that touch [something] in such a way that I can not sing along with them - but I do anyways. Sort'a. Alone.

First singer I have any memory of is Sonny James.

TK
[Rascal Flatts - "Skin" is one such song of the past decade]
 ladymercury
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/9/2013 5:23:12 PM
Music is all around quite a neat thing if you really think about it. I'm mostly amazed because I lack the skill to play an instrument and have an awful singing voice, very flat for the most part. I can't seem to get how it all works and so am compelled to try and understand it. Absolutely enjoy every moment of live music in any genre or the radio, club music and traditional drum beats. Enthusiastically, too. But I do listen to it selectively and probably spend more time not listening to music.

I was seriously impressed with the recent KISS concert that travelled through my hometown ... some pretty intense wow moments, that's for sure ... and what a wild show. I felt super thrilled for almost every moment of the concert if I remember correctly.

A couple of friends and I are heading to see Nine Inch Nails in a couple of weeks and possibly Pink in a couple of months. I'll take in a live show now and again for the awesomeness!
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/10/2013 8:53:20 AM
^^^ nice. It is really great when you are pleasantly surprised by the feeling of a concert rather than let down by it. Have fun at Nine Inch Nails!!! Foreigner was inside in a more intimate venue but blew the cover off the place; it was AMAZING. A ton of wow moments, most of which were how can a guy have that incredible of pipes when he is literally jumping and running all over and off of the stage every line of every song?

Went with a friend to the Rock USA and Rockfest in Wisconsin this year; and a couple of the dozen and a half bands I was not really that excited about seeing I INTENSELY loved (Twisted Sister and Motley Crue blew me away the most). I still when it is a certain temperature outside now and I hear a song in the radio I will be out in that field with all those crazy drunk Wisconsinites at midnight rocking out to the Crue with all those weird neon glow things floating around; the sound of the crickets and the intense pulsing energy. I am back there literally. Same thing last year with Poison and Def Leppard.

Van Halen this year, however, was a letdown. But some of the others more than made up for it. :)

A lot of people didn't get why on earth waste four days outside 8 -10 hours a day watching half a dozen bands a day in a dusty rocky field... not getting the experience of the place was as good as the music itself; it was incredible.
 :
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2013 12:43:55 PM
It would have to be live Jazz music for me. You know small little Jazz bar effect? Saw NIN outdoors a few years back, I must say it was pretty sweet.
 catfuneral
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/12/2013 11:16:31 PM
....well, post-punk/goth has a grasp on the heartstrings that few other things can match. Like, what else can replicate anxiety other than Bauhaus' Nerves...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ1AO-d8M3U
 junipermoon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 2:33:47 PM
stravinsky's rites of spring.
 cooldog65
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 9:16:29 PM
I love the intensity of 21st century rock!

Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2013 4:02:36 AM
Depends on the intense feeling you are asking about.

Most emotional would be opera and violins.

Maybe some tune from my youth that brings back memories of childhood that make me wistful of innocent times.

Usually one of a parents fav we would hear through out the house.

I love all kinds of music and the music of today is mostly good/fun and it makes me feel good.

I do have "go to songs" to calm me, rev me up ect. Depending.

Best concerts Santana/Clapton/Heart

Still love the music I heard at the pavilion in Myrtle beach when it was a great place to go, esp in the early 70's and before 83.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/18/2013 5:27:27 PM
Depends on my mood that day...right now it's Tommy Emmanuel, Mark Knopfler, and the amazing Boz Scaggs... especially his Speak Low album.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2013 3:18:20 AM
Boz Scaggs..

^^^^^^^^^^Have to admit thats one I have had to repeatedly buy ( not that particular album/C.D., but LOVE some Boz)
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/20/2013 3:54:53 AM
^^^nice!

Best concert Elton John (going again in two months, yay!) Best surprise concert Motley Crue. INCREDIBLE. Especially outside at 11 pm on a gorgeous summer night with tens of thousands of drunk wisconsinites :)

songs that make me sing just because:

Tiny Dancer Elton
Mad World Adam Lambert cover
Aerosmith Hangman Jury
Smooth Criminal - Michael J
Ah Leah Donnie Iris
Lovin Touching Squeezin Journey
Lightning Strikes - Live (LOVE that song; massively makes me feel)
Breathe - Anna
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2013 2:56:44 PM

^^^^
Bringing back memories for me.

The first time I heard that song I was on a dirt road after dark on a weekend drinking sloe gin with my best friend and we went NUTZ!!!...Ab SO lutely nutz and decided to head to Myrtle beach after calling our parents and telling them the old "Im at her house/shes at mine thing".

We kept debating if that was a man or womans voice at first
LOVE IT!!

Fell in mad deep puppy love with Steve Perry and that summer started dating a guy that was his spitting image.
My only broken heart and its all Steve Perrys fault.

I still get the weak knees and a huge smile when I hear that one.

What a summer..
 cooldog65
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2013 1:45:06 AM

At my high school dances, "Open Arms" was the go-to slow dance song. We would try to sneak our hands into the girls' back pockets when we were slow dancing. Ahhh... the memories.

Most intense and best concert for me was Trust Company/Disturbed/Korn. The crowd surfing was entertaining. When Disturbed was playing, they crowd surfed a man in a wheelchair to the stage.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/30/2013 9:03:01 AM

The first time I heard that song I was on a dirt road after dark on a weekend drinking sloe gin with my best friend and we went NUTZ!!!...Ab SO lutely nutz and decided to head to Myrtle beach after calling our parents and telling them the old "Im at her house/shes at mine thing".

We kept debating if that was a man or womans voice at first
LOVE IT!!

Fell in mad deep puppy love with Steve Perry and that summer started dating a guy that was his spitting image.
My only broken heart and its all Steve Perrys fault.

I still get the weak knees and a huge smile when I hear that one.

What a summer..

that's hilarious; i thought the same thing when I first heard his voice (first heard Don't Stop, then Open Arms, but couldn't not dance to Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'. And LOL (and I'm so sorry) for your broken heart over his doppelganger :) Sounds like a nice summer :)

Most intense and best concert for me was Trust Company/Disturbed/Korn. The crowd surfing was entertaining. When Disturbed was playing, they crowd surfed a man in a wheelchair to the stage.

Seriously? They crowd surfed a WHEELCHAIR guy? Holy cow, and here I thought I'd heard it all
 Foodfan
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/30/2013 9:11:52 AM
Good topic - I could go on and on and on here but don't worry, I won't , lol

I remember as a kid walking to school with a little transistor radio and every time the song " Fox on the Run " by The Sweet came on I became very excited and cranked up the volume.

The song begins with this low bubbling sound that goes into a high pitched screetch before the power chords kick in ... it was like getting a shot of caffeine , lol
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/1/2013 3:13:42 PM
^^Fox on the Run, huh? ah, those songs with the fun beginnings where two notes in you start to sing along.

Gimme Some Loving, Wanted Dead or Alive, Don't Stop Believing, the beginning of Rock of Ages, Back in Black, Miami 2017 (LOVE that song), Highway to Heaven

the Coldplay one... Lightning Crashes,

as for the memories of when a kid with the radio; earliest I remembered was having a radio in bed and the top 40 #1 song for a ridiculously long time was You Light up my life... (we've come a long way ;) Nobody Does It Better, Imagine, and when Michael J first came screaming onto the scene as a solo artist...

the first time I saw Purple Rain and LOVED the music (and at the time loved the clothes LOL)

Wearing out Benny and the Jets...

good old memories...
 Proteaus
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/2/2013 3:24:45 PM
Blackest Day , by Annihilator . Kind of fits the incoming comet . Can not wait to see what is in the comet's tail as we pass through it . Jan 12 - 14 , 2014
 aquila75
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/5/2013 8:42:43 PM
I always did favor 70s and 80s rock tunes; the Doors, Nazareth, Ozzy, throw in some Don Maclean and Carly Simon- lol Your So Vain, love that tune
 ceedacajun66
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2013 7:17:24 PM
Well, if I am driving, best song ever: Radar Love by Golden Earring but otherwise I really enjoy some jazz/blues such as Harry Connick Jr, I am originally from the New Orleans area, so music has always been a big part of my life. I also enjoy rock and Christian.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/10/2013 7:38:25 PM
moonbeamlover- It depends on the emotion I want to invoke.
If I want to relax, it's classical.
If I want to be excited I turn to rock.
If I really want to FEEL, it's got to be the blues.
I've had some awesome moments at concerts.
Heart is fantastic, Metallica never fails to deliver, Journey takes me back to my teens/the 80's, the best concert by far was AC/DC. BB king came to Bayfest years ago, but I didn't get to go, I hope to see him before he retires, the best bet to take your children with you for their first concert, for me, is Lynard Skynard (sp?), LOVE THEM, I know almost all their songs by heart (my favorite is Curtis Lowe). Either them or Journey, I saw them last year with two of my children and they knew all the words! Mom did good :)
 aanarchist
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/15/2013 9:00:55 PM
music that has a clear message, whether it's through the lyrics or through instrumentals. like two of my favorite artists are a rapper and an alternative metal band, both spread the same message in their own way and as such touch me with equal intensity in their own way.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/23/2013 11:05:45 AM
Last night saw Sir Elton John at the Excel in St. Paul.

And every note of it was INCREDIBLE. He always has a way of making me feel, making me dance, or moving me.

His singing about the soldiers in oceans away while my daughter is still deployed and also oceans away made me feel,

I am a lifelong musician who grew up on a piano and have sang my entire life; but what he does with his voice and piano is SPECIAL.

His energy level blows my mind; and he was supposed to have a two hour exactly set, and he was up there almost three hours,

including dedicating a song to a man he had never met with hodgkins lymphoma, and having the guy jump on stage and hug him on his right arm while he played piano and sang with his left Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me. INCREDIBLE.

Last night, I laughed, cried, yelled, sang, and smiled ear to ear every note from eight o'clock to eleven. HIS music makes me feel intensely; and his concerts bring me unbelievable joy.

What a gift he is. I am going to be on this high for a while.
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2014 8:33:26 AM
depends on my mood at the time, as sometimes its tiesto with trance or pachebell in d major, or yanni, my moods and emotions at the time reflects how music affects me
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What music makes you feel the most intensely?