Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help !!!! Advice needed !      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Greeneyesandblonde
Msg: 1
Help !!!! Advice needed ! Page 1 of 1    
I know this has been done to death but here goes .......

I'm a single woman, adult children, considered pretty .....good job ...home
Financially stable .....I cook I bake I clean I garden ....nothing I reallly can't do ....independent ......etc etc ......I think my profile is good ....articulate .....eloquent ....... BUT I'm still single .......HELP !! Any suggestions welcomed .......this is not a pity statement ....I just find that men want one thing .....have at'er peeps ! Suggestions ?
 Lexti
Msg: 2
Help !!!! Advice needed !
Posted: 9/29/2013 4:55:34 PM
The written part is probably a bit TOO long and a bit TOO much for anyone with an "x" chromosome to get through and still hold interest.

I don't want to be in that ever revolving "next" in line....sorry guy's...so NOT interested in this candy store, someone better on the next page ..you want games ? Go play with someone else ....not interested !

^^^Delete this. Never start off negative OR refer to yourself as a candy store.

You're interests section needs to be chopped down. Go with a Top 10. Your interests in "skinny dipping, lingerie, and kissing" are probable some of the things that are attracting Mr. Right Now. Delete most of the quotes. Men just don't care. You have way too many references of yourself being "attractive, cute, pretty, sexy, etc." Let the guys be the judge of that. If a man does find you attractive, he may also find you arrogant or egotistical.

Compress this down to the essentials. Pics look good, but #7 with the watermark looks outdated? I would also delete a couple of the headshots and add a couple full body shots.
 ouija2013
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/29/2013 5:44:44 PM
you have up old photos.
Men will determine if you are pretty
your header is killing you can see why you are drowning
The interests. no. flavor of the week, appeal to all and hope for a hit

Beauregard63
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/29/2013 6:01:23 PM
OP the first thing I would be wondering if I was looking at your profile would be why you choose to not post any pictures showing yourself much below your chest and why you look significantly younger is some of your pics. Those two things often make a man think that your body type described as average is really a few or more extra pounds and will think that the picture where you look the oldest is what you currently look like at your best.

Yes leave it up to those who are viewing you to decide on your level of attractiveness.
 Hailey_Smurff
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2013 6:08:21 PM
I think cutting this profile will benefit you. - Less is more approach.

It's very chaotic, and all over the place. Being concise while still keeping your personality will help greatly.

Take out the unimportant cliches, and fortune cookie sayings, and keep the real stuff.
 tatersprout
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/29/2013 7:59:19 PM
I've never seen 60 interests before, but then again, lemon ice, vanilla, cotton candy, intimacy, kissing, and passion aren't interests. You can easily get rid of half and still have too many.
pics 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 look really old--I'd get rid of them. Tricking someone into a date will never end well.

You have a paragraph of 52 adjectives and once again mention being sexy, sexual, and alluring!
Not really surprised you are getting only sexual interest. You seem like that's what you want and a lot of your text spells it out. It's really not a classy profile and won't attract a classy guy. I think you should delete the whole thing and seriously start over. I can't find anything salvageable.
 firefly416
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2013 8:22:11 PM
None of the photos seem quite right. It's really a shame you had on sunglasses on the last one.

I'd keep the Interests which end in "ing" plus maybe thunderstorms, snowstorms and fireplaces.

The written part is just all over the place. First get rid of those unidentifiable pictures at the beginning and end. Then get rid of all of the quotes. Then take out half the sex.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/30/2013 2:57:40 AM
Oh man... as soon as I look at you profile I think NEXT. I would never even bother reading that if I were browsing. But since this is reviews, I will.
Profession "professional"? Professional what, dog groomer? Paint stripper?
Do you have some aversion to smiling? A lot of your pics are very old (watermarks) and bad quality. The last one wouldn't be too bad if you didn't have shades, but you still look like someone just stepped on your ice cream. You can do a lot better than this. Delete them ALL and get better ones.

Interests OMFG. Delete and do it properly. No more than 9, 12 or 15 and make them proper interests not a c0cktail menu.

What's with the funny symbols at the start?
First paragraph DELETE, nobody is interested in a bitter jaded woman.
Second paragraph delete. (What??)
Third delete.
Oh dear sorry I know I said I was going to read it but I just can't. Just delete the whole thing and do it properly this time. Seriously, it's really terrible.
 sandytm
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/30/2013 6:21:39 AM
1. Put up 1-2 nice recent photos of yourself without any sunglasses or hats. You won't have to describe your looks, a man will see the obvious. Throw in a photo of your dog. Get an action shot of you doing one of your interests (baking, cooking, fishing, ona trip).
2. Don't use adjectives to describe your personality. Show it. Instead of someone saying they are funny, they can show it in their writing. If a person cares for people, they mention what volunteer work they like to do.
3. Don't be negative.
4. Don't be long winded. No one wants to read that much and it leaves nothing to talk about in emails or the first date. Leave something to the imagination and for the man to discover about you on his own.
5. Don't use more than one quote, adage, cliche. Choose the one which is most meaningful to you.
6. Interests: Theatre, Fine Wine, Gardening, Cooking, Hockey, Outdoor Activities, Boating, Motorcycles, Travel, Playing Cards, Board Games. (Outdoor Activities covers also camping, swimming, fishing, skinny dipping. These items require little or inexpensive gear compared to a boat, which is why I kept boating. Mentioning fine wine, chardonnay, & champagne is redundant.
7. Write in complete sentences and paragraphs. It is easier to read and if it doesn't work in a sentence, don't use it. Use good grammer. DON'T capitalize words, when SO many words are IMPORTANT, NONE of them are viewed by the reader as IMPORTANT.
8. Don't use keyboard art (I really don't know what it is called) in your profile. It distracts from what is important and is used most by teenagers, for vanity reasons.

Good Luck, you look beautiful.
 Indira46
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2013 7:08:18 AM
That was really, really bad. Delete the entire thing and start over.

Your photos should be no more than 6 months old. You are not fooling anyone with some of the ones you have up now.
 FunnyGal1965
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/30/2013 10:18:07 PM
1. You are still a very attractive person, but your photos cause doubt of that due to their age, and poses. Go to a local high school and find a kid wanting to practice their photography skills. They will have an artful, creative, fresh spirit to approach your photographs. Have them take a BUNCH of photos, then pick a couple of good head shots and a couple full body shots - in different clothes and in different outfits. Go to a park - let them pose you - be creative, but not too weird. At the end of it all, people really want to know what you look like - without it looking like a "Wanted" poster for the FBI! Do this BY YOURSELF! Don't have a bunch of girlfriends, boyfriends, dogs, cats, vehicles, etc. in your photos. Guys have ADD! (Said lovingly...)

2. Arrange to have your photos taken on an overcast day first thing in the morning, or in the shade. This prevents you from squinting and is far superior to "inside the car" shots. If possible, take the photos about an hour after you drink a glass of water, shower, and apply fresh make-up. The reason I say this is: As women age, early morning shots are when the skin is most rested and you look freshest. If you hydrate, your skin will look better. Add all that to a creative high school kid who is patiently trying to build their portfolio, and you have a winning combo.

3. In your written prose, who are you? Give this no more than 50 words. What are you looking for? Skip ALL negatives here. Consider the guy who would be pleasant - describe him. Then, leave the rest for those special guys who want to meet you. It will give him a chance to express what he would prefer to know about you. Your profile, as written, tells so much, so fast - that it's like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. : )
 daysleeper5
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2013 11:31:50 PM

... Go to a local high school and find a kid wanting to practice their photography skills. They will have an artful, creative, fresh spirit to approach your photographs. Have them take a BUNCH of photos, then pick a couple of good head shots and a couple full body shots - in different clothes and in different outfits. Go to a park - let them pose you - be creative, but not too weird...

Not too weird??? The whole thing sounds weird. In fact, this is the weirdest advice that I've ever seen on here. It's like one of those peculiar things you read where eyebrows get arched, mouth opens and head gets scratched. Let me get this straight: You want a woman over 50 to attempt to enter a high school (explain this one to security) to solicit a random teenager (a minor) to photograph her for her online dating profile? What if the genders were switched - would you tell a man in his 50s to walk into a high school and do the same thing? I'm sure that would go down real well with the school administrators. Hello, police?

It's not that hard to have a friend or a family member take some flattering pictures. Really, she needs to smile more in her pictures or just give off a lighter aura. The ones she has now seem sullen and gloomy. Then she needs to edit out about ninety-percent of her current description. It goes way past overkill. Though it seems like she's really complaining about men only wanting sex from her. Welcome to the dating world.
 Seki1949
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2013 12:47:44 AM
1. Too many interests! My eyes gazed over and I didn't read any of them. We (your target audience) are simple creatures and tire easily.

2. Profile too busy. We (your target audience) are simple creatures and tire easily.

3. Something is not quite right with your pictures. Smile...be happy...even if it kills you. Somehow you need a new set and I know that can be embarrassing to ask for as a single.

Bestes!
 ouija2013
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/1/2013 6:29:48 AM
I'm with Daysleeper. You CAN'T wander into a school asking kids to snap pictures of you unless you enjoy a ridde in the back of a police car!!
 FunnyGal1965
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/1/2013 8:50:49 AM

Not too weird??? The whole thing sounds weird. In fact, this is the weirdest advice that I've ever seen on here. It's like one of those peculiar things you read where eyebrows get arched, mouth opens and head gets scratched. Let me get this straight: You want a woman over 50 to attempt to enter a high school (explain this one to security) to solicit a random teenager (a minor) to photograph her for her online dating profile? What if the genders were switched - would you tell a man in his 50s to walk into a high school and do the same thing? I'm sure that would go down real well with the school administrators. Hello, police?

Ah, now we know who's been watching too many crime shows on television! I don't advise slinging a machine gun over your shoulder and entering the local high school and demanding young, nubile types, but I have teenagers, know lots of their friends (and most 40- 50-ish women do) and I know, firsthand, that there are several kids who are begging for people who CAN pay them to HIRE them to do some photos. Most of them will do so cheaply to improve their skills and show samples of their work to create portfolios. Just do so in a public place, and for Gawd's sake, keep your clothes on! Geesh! Your mind went to such a dark place! Then, again, what a great first date idea - helping each other to get decent photos! So many on here are nothing short of painful! : )

Regarding exchanging roles, only a problem if the man blows the "appropriate" threshold. Private settings and alcohol/drugs are completely out of bounds, but surely, in your neighborhood there are families you know? Friends of friends? Churches? There are plenty of students, college or high school, that would be eager for the chance to prove their skills, and from a dater's perspective, I'd rather give them a shot than pay tons of $$$ for something more fussy. Be appropriate. Quit watching crime shows! ; )
 ouija2013
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/1/2013 10:52:01 AM
Who said Boo about hiring? You go out.. if you don't know a soul you ask a stranger to snap a few pix. Change and then repeat.
Easy.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help !!!! Advice needed !