Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Hide Profile / Hide Viewing other Users / Changing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 13thour
Msg: 1
Hide Profile / Hide Viewing other Users / Changing Username Now Paid Features (other threads will be deleted)Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Hi I just tried to hide my profile and it is now saying I have to pay for this feature.

What is POF doing? I have to deal with all these ads...after ads...after ads and I do this willingly because this site is free. I thought that is how you made your money? Now I have to pay again for something you offered free. You have been taking away this and that for a few years now. This is not good.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 2
hide profile now has to be paid for?
Posted: 10/1/2013 10:12:31 PM
Curious to read POF feedback on what you've encountered.
Very interesting update you have shared.

EDIT TO ADD:
Yep, saw this news in a few other threads.
It seems if one unhides a currently hidden profile, they will be directed to upgrade to a paid membership in order to hide the profile again. That is unfortunate as this will cause an even GREATER volume of non-response due to greater percentage of inactive profiles. :-(
 Seki1949
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2013 10:44:50 PM
I'm a paid member. Since I hide my profiled and then unhide it I have had no views. I understand that traffic drops off after the initial newbie rush, but I would think I would still get the odd 'view'.

I'm going to go test this.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/1/2013 10:46:24 PM
Yes I saw the same comment from a woman in another thread. I wonder if women are still allowed to send private pics? They could keep their profile visible with no public photo's and just send pics to the men they actually wanted to talk to.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/2/2013 3:44:13 AM
So what do you do if you get into a relationship now? Previously you hid your profile, and if the relationship didn't work out you unhid and started using again.

Now you have to either delete it entirely, run the risk of your partner seeing your active profile on a dating site (and all the "heyyy sexy" messages you're getting), or pay a subscription to a site you no longer need to use.

And like Eric said, it will increase the amount of "no response" messages that guys moan about, since there's no way to tell if they're active. Which in turn will make men more bitter and increase the amount of carpet bombing males on the site, which will increase the amount of women complaining (and quitting) about idiot carpet bombing men....

It's absolutely crazy to remove this feature from the free site.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2013 6:36:39 AM

So what do you do if you get into a relationship now? Previously you hid your profile, and if the relationship didn't work out you unhid and started using again.

Is the answer that hard to come up with?

You either delete your profile
or
you edit it to state you're in a relationship.

Just my 2 cents but I suspect any partner in a relationship would hope you'd do the same too, instead of already having a re-entry plan back into the dating world.

As for no longer offering hidden profiles for free, I see this as a good thing.
Saves a lot of game playing.

Eric_Summit
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/2/2013 7:12:05 AM
Posted by Forum_Moderator:
"Just my 2 cents but I suspect any partner in a relationship would hope you'd do the same too, instead of already having a re-entry plan back into the dating world."

I can see what you're saying...yet it does not "scale" in the dynamics of real world dating.

For example, there was a woman who I dated perhaps 4-5 times last year. I was certainly at the point where I wished my profile hidden...at the same time totally deleting the profile would have been rather hasty. As it turns out, she dumped me because I was not moving quickly enough towards marriage. What a hassle it would have been to have had to completely rebuild an entire profile in that instance.

From a business perspective, this has been seen previously. NetFlix used to allow customers to "suspend" their rental account, yet simultaneously preserve the "movie queue" for when the person wanted to start receiving DVDs again. I must have had 40-50 movies in my queue when NetFlix announced their policy change. I quit the service and just never returned. The ease and convenience of Pay-Per-View made the notion of rebuilding my queue seem a big effort.

Same thing here...POF might see people delete accounts because they believe a dating relationship is going well. A few dates later, and things aren't so sunny, so a man or woman then needs to completely rebuild their profile, yet again? Rinse and repeat this a few times and the person is increasingly likely to say, "Forget it. I will go try the vast array of other free dating sites."
 ouija2013
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/2/2013 7:33:43 AM
Just copy and save your profile.. easy.
I think perhaps it will stop those who are involved with someone yet "keeping" options open.
 NYRDER1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2013 8:39:41 AM
I am quitting, too many weirdos now i cant hide my profile
 rainbowcolors
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/2/2013 9:06:15 AM

It's ridiculous. I (hidden) only messaged people that caught my interest. Now all kinds of freaks and weirdos will see my profile, that's why I hid it in the first place.
So many people have a feeling of entitlement. Why should 'you' be able to browse while 'others' can't browse and see you? Some of the women you message may think you're a weirdo - it works both ways.
 hipshakergurl
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/2/2013 9:16:15 AM
What the heck is POF doing? It used to be such a great site, but not so much anymore. First the age restriction thing and now this. I have a date set up for this weekend and I want to hide my profile until I see what happens with that date, but I have to pay to do that? Ridiculous. So I guess I will keep my profile up and ignore anyone that sends me a message or delete my account completely. Ugh!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/2/2013 9:27:10 AM
HipShakerGurl, you are 100% correct. Excellent post.

Hiding and unhiding profiles is a technique often used by very UPSTANDING and OPTIMISTIC daters as it facilitates the "greater pool" to know whom is or whom isn't available at a given time. I agree with you that as a reasonable woman or reasonable man we should be able to temporarily hide our profiles if we do not wish to receive new inbound notes. That is reasonable when we are hopeful a new dating situation could fortunately work for a good long time!
 HawkingJr
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2013 10:27:13 AM
I do feel like POF had long been searching for a feature that women would think was worth paying for, and on the surface, it looks like they found it. Pretty much all the other paid features (except maybe extra pictures) appeal mostly to men, as they're supposed to help you get more messages (or in some cases, help you stalk), which most women seem to already get plenty of activity on this site, so not many protested when those other features became pay.

But this feature will help you REDUCE messages when you have more than you want to deal with, which is a problem many women frequently end up with at some point. Not to say, as already pointed out in this thread, that some men don't have a legitimate need for a hidden profile at times, but I'd definitely say this is just about the only feature that strongly appeals to many women, and in my extremely extended experience on this site, I've come across very, very few women with upgraded profiles (and years ago the majority of those randomly received free "experimental" upgraded profiles, so even less actually paid for them).

That said, if the responses from women in this thread so far are an indication of what general site reaction is going to be, looks like POF still isn't going to sell a lot of upgrades to women -- most would rather go without that feature than pay a dime to POF, particularly for something that for almost ten years was free! I'm guessing taking away previously free features and making them pay must have worked out financially in the past or else POF wouldn't still be trying it, but again, in the past, it was mostly just males that were annoyed when those features were taken away, so this is a completely different scenario. I mean, the reality is, as much as the moderator might want to downplay yet another free feature turning pay, it's the people writing those who wanted to hide their profiles but refuse to pay to do so that will ultimately suffer the most in this scenario (which, of course, is no big deal to POF, as it's a win-win scenario to them: page views and ad revenue will increase from the new activity at forcibly-unhidden profiles -- who cares about the rudeness and inefficiency of the situation? Speaking of which, why can't POF concentrate on paid features that make this behometh of a site MORE efficient instead of LESS efficient?).

I did think it was rather ironic this particular move came about when they can't even fix the problem with profiles that are continually hiding themselves against their users' wills.
 hipshakergurl
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/2/2013 2:09:16 PM
Thank you Eric Summit.
 I_travel_light
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/2/2013 2:48:13 PM
Mine is hidden know. The amount of How R U messages is overwhelming. I am sure there are a lot of really nice guys out there that get missed. I guess it is a business. Just makes it more difficult. Or I guess we can pony up. It's way better then Match.com. lol
 Dreams_are_Real
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/2/2013 2:58:33 PM
This is just a money making scheme for Markus and his buddies at POF. There is no reason to charge for this. Of course the moderator is going to side with Markus because he knows where his pay check is coming from. Just a bunch of greedy @#$%^!^'s!!!!

Listen up and listen good - - we don't get paid - but perhaps we should to listen to some of the utter BS spawned from some of the odd brain dead thoughts.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS ||

northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/2/2013 3:04:09 PM
Hmmmmmm maybe it time to drop this dating site yet again.
 NDTfan
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/2/2013 4:43:58 PM

Of course the moderator is going to side with Markus because he knows where his pay check is coming from.

As far as I know, mods don't get paid.

The idea that Markus is being greedy is ridiculous, since it's his site and how he makes money. It's even more ridiculous that you don't consider yourself greedy for wanting it for free.

I do think it's a mistake though, since women who get a lot of messages have taken to hiding their profile when they're not online to cut down on messages. They see a full inbox, then a big influx when they come online and it's hard to keep up. At least if you kept it hidden, you could go through your inbox first.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/2/2013 5:33:26 PM
^^^^ I did a username search in the dating portion of this site and your profile came up so I would say you are not hidden so I guess this change is not geared to females only.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/3/2013 2:17:52 PM

I suppose you could argue that by not unhiding currently hidden accounts, the impact to current users will be minimal, and that new users will see it as the policy in place.

They ARE unhiding currently hidden profiles. I noticed mine was now visible as of today.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2013 2:52:47 PM
I posted this thread earlier but mine was deleted.

Well, I don't want to delete my profile. I think the fact that you have a 5 year old profile shows that you are a legit person and posses a decent track history they you don't need to delete and hide from from week to week.

When you don't want to date, not looking to date, going out of town and don't want emails to build up you should be able to hide your profile for free (or at least turn off emails for free.)

I was a paying member for a good while until POF thought they were better suited to decide who should be able to email me and who I should be able to email under the ruse of this member is not excepting emails from members like you when in fact POF put the restriction in.

As for this change, I think the main reason to do this is to get the married/in relationship people who want to look for that lil extra fling to pony up for a membership as if you need to be hidden from your significant other you will gladly pay the upgrade feature. As for the rest who just enjoy privacy, it now how a cost and people who like privacy will pay it as well.

I expect to see a lot more faceless profiles with private images...soon followed by, if you want private images you need to pay the upgrade fee.
 _Vicariously_
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/3/2013 4:30:27 PM
I think this is another silly rule. First they targeted polyamorous daters (no married but wanting to date allowed), no discussions about 'sex'(heaven forbit people want to be open and honest about THAT), then men not being able to send private pics(they aren't all crotch shots), and now the inability to hide your profile. My ex keeps sticking her nose in my personal life so I selectively hide my profile. Guess that's not possible now. I enjoyed chatting with like minded people (as does my wife).

Silly, silly stuff...
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2013 4:54:43 PM

I don't think POF will miss a few who decide to wander. They'll be replaced ten times over in ...

While it's your opinion it is a terrible position for any business to take. Those arrogant business operators that think customers are easily replaceable, let alone by 10x will soon find their business revenue shrinking. Marcus is trying to find ways to improve his revenue not lose it, if he wanted to increase it by 10x he would offer everything for free and look at ways to enhance it while still keeping it free. Charging folks $$$$ for something they used to get for free is never a good thing unless you are trying to shrink your customer base and move your business in a different direction. Marcus obliviously feels his profitability will improve with a smaller free customer base. Problem is other free sites will see this as a opportunity to grow their base. Notice there is never a add for free dating sites here...only fee based "hook up sites" that are not direct competition with POF.
 up2late82
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/3/2013 7:30:35 PM
The funny thing is, by its very nature this change will make people leave the site.

A lot of people on here, when they start seeing someone, will make their profile hidden (but not delete) in case they decide to come back. Now, they'll just delete. Maybe if they need a dating site, since they have to create from scratch, they'll look elsewhere next time. Because no one's going to pay a monthly fee to keep that inactive profile hidden.

And I don't know about the area you guys are from, but around here, there are noticeably fewer people on here than a year or so ago.
 blueeyesinoly
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/3/2013 11:14:41 PM
Interesting how all the hidden profiles are suddenly becoming unhidden when Marcus wants to charge to hide them. And for the last year or more, POF supposedly couldn't fix the hidden profile problem and couldn't have the decency to address it publicly....
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Hide Profile / Hide Viewing other Users / Changing Username Now Paid Features (other threads will be deleted)