Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > could my profile be the issue      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 You go first
Msg: 2
could my profile be the issuePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
The profile is written rather well for someone your age on this type of a site. There are, of course, a few tweaks.

The selfies need to go. Let someone else take your photos, preferably outdoors, big ol' smile. No towels or bathrooms. A good shoulders up head shot works for a main especially for someone viewing you on a little cellphone app. Got any shots from a recent holiday? event? Something full length and casual? (shirt on, shades off)

You tend to look a LOT younger than your age in your photos. I'd have guessed 16-17 tops.

The Interests are a bit generic. Replace the generic words with one or two-word specific examples. (ie: instead of Travel, put Bermuda... or whatever. See the difference?)

The big massive paragraph needs a break in there somewhere. There are a couple of typos but it doesn't really detract from what you're saying (worthwhile is one word; definitely is spelled wrong)

Are you overthinking your messages? Are you rambling on about a bunch of topics and fluff? I'm going to cut-and-paste some notes I made from another thread on sending first messages. The guy had "Fishing" as an Interest:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try this template which may help you get over the 'writer's block' for first messages:

Message: 3-4 sentence at most, light humoured, including 1 question only so she has an easy way to respond. Sign only your first name.

Do not say:

- Hi, Hey, Hello or How are you (wastes time)
- I read your profile (should be obvious)
- you're cute/pretty/beautiful (creepy in a first message)
- let's meet up for .... (again, creepy/pushy in a first message)
- check me out and email me back ( they know what to do already)
- hope to hear from you soon (sounds like begging/desperate)
Don't blather on about yourself - your profile is supposed to give information about you.

If I were writing to you, I'd use the specific interest of Fishing. Actually, that is the exact interest I used when I first wrote to my (now) husband.

Message: I just learned how to fly fish, but haven't actually caught anything yet. I much prefer spincast river fishing - fewer casualties! Have you been out yet this season? (first name only)

See the difference? I obviously read your profile, opened a conversation, no pressure.
 Lexti
Msg: 4
could my profile be the issue
Posted: 10/6/2013 7:32:08 PM
Sweetheart, you only have MAYBE 2 usable pics. Delete the main pic, driver's license pic, OLD pics, and the pic laying in bed with no shirt on. Upload some CLEAR, smiling head shots and full body shots.

Write up is very nice, but has a lot of grammatical and spelling errors.
 ohryanohryan
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/6/2013 11:31:24 PM
pictures are your problem man, your written profile is pretty good to me.

Get pictures of yourself that you would expect a cool, approachable, sociable guy would have of himself. Its not hard to figure out what those would be, look up guys profiles and you know right away what guys are probably getting responses... put up similar photos regardless of how you feel about your looks in them, it isn't how pretty your face is but moreso the confidence you project in those photos and owning what you do have to the max.

Just put your insecurities aside and get some real pictures on there
 Indira46
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2013 3:18:43 PM
Go outside and ask any random person you see to snap some photos of you. That's how I got my main photo.
 sandytm
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/9/2013 3:28:42 PM
Smiling doen't mean a big grin, just something mild, pleasant and comfortable.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/9/2013 3:49:57 PM
3 of mine are selfies.
Practice practice practice. The advantage of digital photography, you can take 100 and delete them if they're bad.
 sandytm
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/9/2013 3:52:59 PM

im not photogenic

Many people could say that. Just figure out which is your good side, some people do better smiling without showing teeth or very little of their teeth (not b/c of nasty choppers), sometimes a tilt of the head.
 usmale6
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/9/2013 3:57:55 PM
Consider getting your teeth fixed ... there is nothing women like more than a nice smile.
 Archiver
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/9/2013 4:00:05 PM
Proof-read your profile and fix the punctuation and capitalization. Content-wise, it's not so bad, but could be better. This is your ad. Would you want to meet you based on what you posted?
 ouija2013
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/9/2013 5:05:18 PM
Do not give up. Actually the one with you in the beater.. pretty hot
I personally HATE those cheesy show me your teeth before I cut out your heart pictures
Remember.. look at the age of most here.. we should be on ice floes
You are over thinking Darling
Now, lets start by changing the header= makes it sound like you are looking for a threesome
And for the people who suggest fixing teeth, etc
go get a FREAKIN MIRROR
then come back... oh, and be prepared to pony the coin to pay for your DB suggestions. Thanks muchly
We are to review the profile and suggest pictures, not tell ppl our shallow****ad ideas of what we think is attractive.
And yes.. you know who I am addressing. Any issues feel free to msg me
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/9/2013 9:32:08 PM
Fliguy, it's a solid profile, especially for a youthful guy like you. Good job.
I would divide the description into a few more paragraphs to render it a bit more legible.

Have a friend take two dozen well-lit, outdoor, crisp photographs using a high-quality digital camera...which is preferred over a fuzzy cellphone. Include a variety of backgrounds, activities, and various articles of clothing to add greater interest. Upload the best eight images of the bunch. Ensure you date and caption each pic. Good luck!
 sandytm
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/10/2013 2:46:35 PM
fliguy: I apologize. I'm rereading my comment #8 and it may have not come out the way I intended it to. If it offended you, I'm sorry b/c I didn't mean you had "nasty choppers". My own pictures show little teeth b/c I just look better that way.

I wanted you to know that we all have a better side or look. Don't hide your teeth, just something mild and pleasant. If you look comfortable with yourself in the photo, girls will be comfortable with you.
 sandytm
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/10/2013 2:47:17 PM
Oh, and I liked the previous photo as your main. There's a smile.
 sandytm
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/10/2013 4:36:28 PM
You're teeth aren't so clear that I could give you an opinion on them. All I see is a common overbite, which doesn't mean your teeth aren't pretty.

I like the haircut in the new photo, but I'd still like to see a smile like in your license pic.
 sandytm
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/10/2013 4:52:45 PM
1. Clean up the spelling, grammar, and punctuation
2. "I am unusually emotional for a guy." Do you mean the sensitive guy women always look for? Your wording makes me think you cry a lot.
3. "so my favorite genre would either be poetry or lyrics"
 ouija2013
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/10/2013 5:12:02 PM
Darling
I like you - happy to help.. sad as that might be, meanwhile I do Rock .. stop letting silly things stand in your way
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/11/2013 2:00:24 AM
They may seem perfect for you but they don't think you're perfect for them. It happens to us all dude. Even the most successful guys on here get about a 10% response rate, and that is when we have a good photo and profile, messaging women who are a good match, and sending good messages.

You need a thick skin for online dating, that's just the way it is.
 ouija2013
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/11/2013 5:50:45 AM
I imagine it is a bit of a numbers game - ie the more msgs you send. But for me that seems shotgun.. msg those you are interested in. You only need to connect with one :)
 tatersprout
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/11/2013 6:00:04 AM
Ok, if all you can do is selfies, hold the phone farther away so you can crop it out. Hold it up higher and hold your chin up. Take lots of them--think happy thoughts, play your favorite music loud and go at it. Distract yourself from the task; pretend you are a rock star! Experiment with different lighting.
Also vary the clothes you wear and get outside for different backgrounds. Experiment with different angles. If you are having fun, it will show in your pics!
Does your phone have a front camera? If you have a timer, you can eliminate the arm stretched out holding the camera completely. Do you have an editor on your phone or can you download one?
Consider asking a coworker to take some pics for you--you can say they are for your grandma.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/4/2014 8:53:21 PM
Ensure you keep improving your profile and embrace lots of these suggestions.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/4/2014 9:19:46 PM
You have 8 seconds to make a good impression. Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and attractive. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cell phone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling.

Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Ask a friend to take 24 pictures of you outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8. Caption and date each photo-giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.

Interests should be ACTIVITIES you enjoy and would enjoy doing with a woman. Choose 12 or 15 activities. Since interests are displayed in three columns, this will give you three equal columns that look sharp on your profile.

Your headline should be short and upbeat, and say something about you. "Life is Amazing!" is my headline.

Good luck in your romantic search.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 3:22:15 AM
Get good pictures.
Women tend to like to see guys outside in a few shots.
You have great arms so put a full body shot up and a nice short sleeve shirt and clothes that fit to show your physique.

I am the guy that wants a working, long-lasting relationship.

Doria gave you great advise.
No skin off our nose if you don't want help.
^^^To young to go on about lasting relationships.
One step at a time there..
You are 22, so sound fun and not like you are looking for a wife..
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > could my profile be the issue