Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Please review      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 usernamed123
Msg: 1
Please reviewPage 1 of 1    
Hi folks,

I joined POF just a few days ago and I'm hoping to get some feedback on my profile. I know, I haven't added any pictures yet but I was hoping to get a review on the written portion first. Any help and tips you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 tatersprout
Msg: 2
Please review
Posted: 10/23/2013 10:24:35 AM
You will get nowhere without photos.
Delete first paragraph. If you have to explain your headline, it's bad.
Change the username to something original--it's boring, not witty.

Add a paragraph about you as a person--personality and such. Use that for the opener.
Your profile isn't bad, it's just boring and lifeless. Try to inject some excitement, humor, personality into it.
 Indira46
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Please review
Posted: 10/23/2013 11:01:56 AM
Delete the first paragraph.

The second paragraph is really dull and boring.

Remove your age restriction.
 usernamed123
Msg: 4
Please review
Posted: 10/23/2013 3:52:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your helpful feedback and tips.

The first paragraph didn't sit well with me either so I removed it. How's the headline itself, does it need to go too? Regarding my username, I wasn't too sure at first if this site was going to be for me, so I put in whatever I could think of to get my foot in. Now that I like it here, and now that I know how to, I'll be changing my username to something a bit more creative. TaterSprout, after reading your review I realized you were completely right. I went on about my interests, but nothing about my personaltiy. I'll work on that next.

Indira46, my second paragraph, well I guess it's my first now, I babbled about my favorite author's artists, tv. I'm just curious, is it too much information at this point? Should I keep it in, but just trim it down? I removed my age restriction.

I also removed the last sentence in the last paragraph: 'If you like what you see, you know what to do'. I've already seen that phrase a bunch of times in the last three days and it goes without saying.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and anyone else's future feedback. I'll get working and I'll post my changes soon.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 5
Please review
Posted: 10/23/2013 4:13:37 PM
The profile is the typical profile that guys put up. It's certainly better than many we see here, however it's nothing special, it's just average. Doing the factual thing - this is what I am like, these are my hobbies, this is the TV and music and movies I like - makes an average profile. And average doesn't cut it on this site. You need to stand out from the crowd.

Go read Unfzed's profile and see the difference.....

Delete the mail restrictions, they're entirely useless for any male on here.
New username.
Good photos are extremely important.
 firefly416
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Please review
Posted: 10/23/2013 5:28:31 PM
I think the user name is sorta cute but the headline is bad.

Okay, the thing is it's all about the photos and you don't have any and didn't tell us why. If a woman likes your main photo enough to glance at the profile, I really don't think your profile is bad. It's rather normal, certainly not awful. But if she doesn't like your first photo (or there isn't one there) she won't be looking at the profile at all. When I do a search I only ask to show me the people with photos and I assume many people do that.

Now if someone without a public photo wrote to me, explained he had a secret service job and wasn't allowed to post a picture publicly but included one in his message, I might consider reading the profile. However, I'd probably still think he was married.
 usernamed123
Msg: 7
Please review
Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:27 PM
Hi folks,

I had a profile review done back around November but I left the site for a good while. I decided to jump back in and I re-worked my profile. Obviously since I'm asking for a profile review again I'm not getting many bites. The thing that really triggered this request is that I sent a message to someone yesterday and when I logged in today I saw that she's totally gone. I'm assuming that she blocked me which kind of 'unsettled' me. Please take a look at my profile and give me any honest feedback that you have.

I originally created a new post but I was kindly informed that I needed to continue in my original post, so here it is.

Thanks,
 Ainen
Msg: 8
Please review
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:15:38 PM
Didn't see anything to warrant a block. However, your text has often-repeated unnecessary cliches: love to laugh, thanks for visiting, message me.

Good if you had more than one photo. Perhaps a photo of you playing guitar, as long as it's not like the guitar scenes in A Shot in the Dark (surprised this site doesn't have enough fans for Inspector Clouseau to be a blue interest).

Music, do you mean Skynyrd?

People block for no apparent reason, don't worry, but to confirm, in contact history but not in sent messages is blocked, not in contact history is deleted or hidden.
 usernamed123
Msg: 9
Please review
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:44:27 PM
Thanks Ainen,

I'll get a friend of mine to take a pic of me while attempting to play guitar and thanks for catching Skynyrd, I can't believe I missed that. I looked in my contact history and she is gone so I guess she's either hidden or deleted her profile. My message was pretty straight forward. A couple of sentences talking/asking about things in her profile, a couple of sentences about things not in my profile and then a closing line. I guess the total disappearance just threw me off a bit. I'll re-work a few thing to get rid of the cliches. Once again, thank you very much
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 10
Please review
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:49:59 PM
OP: I think you have received some excellent suggestions above me. In my opinion, I would definitely get a different user name. Try something like this. Two things you specifically like and put them together. How does it sound as a user name? That's what I did. And, I would delete the part where you have been told you are a great guy. If you can describe why you are, let the woman decide on her own. For me, it would be a turn off. Good luck and be patient :)
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 11
Please review
Posted: 4/20/2014 11:33:43 PM
Don't be evasive with your profession. You don't need to post your exact job title, but give a general idea of how you make a living.

Clean up your interests so they are all searchable. For example, "hiking/walking" is not searchable. And change "learning to play guitar" to "guitar".

The first 200 characters are what show up next to your name in searches. You spent that valuable space saying the exact same thing every guy on this website says. Women aren't going to click on the tenth "easy going" guy who "loves to laugh". Start off with something original to draw her in.

"You need to be" is demanding. Rephrase it so you're not giving her a command.

Sounds like you deserve someone special because your friends and family can't believe you're still single after all this time. Delete that bit; makes you sound like you think you're entitled to have a girlfriend. Being told you're a nice guy isn't reason to date you.

Also delete the part explaining how to use the website. Women aren't saying "hi" because they are afraid. They aren't saying "hi" because they aren't interested.

Delete the age restriction.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Please review
Posted: 4/21/2014 5:04:49 AM
You will continue to get a limited response until you have more and better quality photos.

My honest advice get some decent photos first, then come back to to fine tuning the text.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 13
Please review
Posted: 4/21/2014 12:41:42 PM

The thing that really triggered this request is that I sent a message to someone yesterday and when I logged in today I saw that she's totally gone. I'm assuming that she blocked me which kind of 'unsettled' me.

"She" could have been a scammer or a 15 year old "boy" whose profile got deleted by the site. I wouldn't get too "unsettled" over some flake who vanishes quickly.

Obviously since I'm asking for a profile review again I'm not getting many bites.

You're not alone.
Most men are "not getting many bites" as evidenced by the fact that this profile review forum is overwhelmingly populated by men requesting reviews, and their number one complaint is "not getting many/any "bites"/responses.
Women are just not responding and/or initiating messages as much as they used to in years past.

Be truthful and show some humor is my best advice.
 UserNamed123
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Please review
Posted: 10/3/2018 3:23:32 PM
Hi there,

Well, I'm getting back into pof world seriously again and I thought it would be good to get a fresh review. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Please review
Posted: 10/3/2018 7:58:33 PM
You've been told a couple of times to get better photos. We mean it.
GET BETTER PHOTOS.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 16
Please review
Posted: 10/3/2018 8:13:24 PM

GET BETTER PHOTOS.

Yes, please do. You are tall, good-looking, in good shape and with all your hair. :) You can have much better pictures than what is up now.
 Forums_only
Msg: 17
Please review
Posted: 10/3/2018 8:47:23 PM
It's unanimous: PHOTOS

More specifically -

- main photo should be shoulders up, well lit, no sunglasses or caps, preferably outdoors (daylight works well), big freakin' smile (we don't care if it's fake, we won't know the difference), no distracting background, no obvious selfies.

- add photos of you doing some of the things you enjoy, on a recent vacation, at an event. Avoid or crop group photos - we just want to see you. Nothing more than a year old, preferably.

- if you don't have anything that would fall into those categories - get outside with your camera/cellphone and get some shots in a park, in town, wherever. If you feel uncomfortable asking a friend/family member to go with you and don't want to ask a stranger, learn how to work the timer on your camera. Get some photos at your next family gathering - maybe a photo at your desk at work (or wherever). Use your imagination - fill in those photo boxes!!!

Remove any incoming email restrictions until such time as you're overwhelmed with actual incoming emails.
Elaborate on some of the things you like - otherwise it's just a boring list.
In your Interests field you have noted 'Hockey'. Do you play? If not, who is your favourite team? Use memorable specifics instead of vanilla generics.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Please review