Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I get profile views, but no messages      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 johnny_116
Msg: 1
view profile
History
I get profile views, but no messagesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So here's the deal. When I send messages, the recipient usually will look at my profile, but not respond to the message. My thought is that they like the initial message, but lose interest after viewing my profile. I understand that not everyone is going to respond, but I've only had 1 response out of about 30-40 messages. I'm not copy and pasting, these are all unique messages usually with a quick joke relating to something in their profile (nothing offensive) then I ask question about something in their profile.

I would appreciate any feedback on my profile and any suggestions to improve it. Are my pictures okay? Which is the best? Which is the worst? How is my headline? How is the about me section?

I'll gladly return the favor and critique your profile if you wish. Thanks.
 sandytm
Msg: 2
I get profile views, but no messages
Posted: 10/28/2013 8:54:50 AM
1. Main pic should be a close up of you looking into the camera without a hat. Need more pics.
2. Not a bad write up, but there should be more. In online dating, even in jest, women don't look kindly on the words: stalk, sex panther, and any kind of bathroom humour.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/28/2013 9:04:21 AM
The main pic is too far away, you really need a good head shot. The snow pic would be great if only it were in focus! Umbrella one is funny. These pics are all decent but you really need a new head shot for your main.

I don't really get the headline, is it a quote?
All the drop-downs and interests box are good.
Fill in your name, so it says "About Johnny" instead of "About Me".
Overall it's pretty good, certainly a lot better than most we see on here!
I'm not sure about the number 2 and bathroom humour, I laughed, but I'm not your potential audience! Same for the sex panther.
The "light" and "opportunity" jokes seem quite forced and unconnected, like they were just copied form somewhere? I don't know, that's just how it seems to me.
Get rid of all your mail filters, they are entirely unnecessary for any male on here.

Sounds like your messages are good. I think you just need to persist. 1 in 30 responses is not unusual in your age group........

Returning the favour is not necessary on these forums, in fact it's against the rules. If you want to help out others with reviews then you can reply on their own threads :)
 Lexti
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/28/2013 9:22:06 AM
What's wrong with the girls in your age group?? Cute as a button. Love the pics, especially the raining umbrella. Can't go wrong with a man that can play the guitar. I really liked the writeup. I think the only thing you're missing is a good head and shoulders smiling main pic. You appear to have a great smile. Showcase it, kid.
 johnny_116
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2013 9:52:15 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's good to hear that my profile is not terrible. I agree that some minor tweaks are necessary as I knew some of my jokes may not be for everyone. But then again, if that kind of joke pushes someone away, that may not be a person that I want to meet anyway.

I'll have to find a good head shot. For now I'll switch my main photo to the umbrella as that seems to be a favorite so far.

Keep the reviews coming!
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2013 9:54:43 AM
I like the umbrella picture. I agree that main pictures should be a close up, especially for cell phone browsing, but in this case, it gets attention. That, of course will prompt people to look at your profile.

I would assume that anytime you send a message that is read the person will look at your profile. It doesn't mean they are interested (or not), just that they are going to look to see who is writing them. I couldn't image ever getting an email and not looking at the person's profile, unless the email was so repulsive I deleted it right away.

Barely missed that bottom rock jumping, didn't you? Crazy.

The profile is definitely unique. It's going to pull in a certain type and turn away other types. I think it's like the quality over quantity issue. Only the few that "click" with your humor will reply, but that gives you a good leg up on the selection process. :)~
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/28/2013 10:13:45 AM
The "sex panther" joke might be a bit off-putting for some women. I thought it was kind of funny, but probably not the best thing to end your profile with.

Your pics are great. I agree with the others, a nice plain headshot (no hat, no snow) with you smiling would really round it out.

Other than that, I'm not sure why you aren't getting replies. You're cute, you're funny, you're unique, you play guitar. If you lived in my state, I would message you back.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/28/2013 10:18:35 AM
Narrative was pretty funny. Some of the humor seems staged. Almost as if copied from the internet.
It might help to have a few more "serious" sentences included to show greater balance, too.

As a man, inbound mail filters are not needed. Women might receive hundreds of messages daily which simply will not happen with a man. Simply handle any screening manually.

Lastly, a nice, bright, focused close-up photograph will help a woman to see you far easier.
Lots of folks read POF using a mobile device, so the screen is literally the size of a Triscuit cracker. Good luck.
 ouija2013
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/28/2013 10:22:09 AM
Like the Main.
Text reads like you cribbed lines then mashed them together.
No sense of you at all, except you appreciate bathroom humor ( flash most women don't)
Try to have some serious bits in so we figure you actually CAN be serious
Plus you are on the short end of average - many women have a 6ft line in their profile.
 johnny_116
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2013 11:09:27 AM
Okay, I made some tweaks. I took out the stalker thing and the sex panther line (I thought everyone loved Anchorman).

I think the only line I stole was the cologne joke from Anchorman. Maybe I just need to work on the way I deliver the jokes in my profile. I figured it was better to make someone laugh rather then just say I'm funny.

I also added a couple serious sentences (and another joke) about my job for some balance.

I feel like the profile may be getting a little too long now. What do you guys think? How do you like the changes?
 sandytm
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/28/2013 3:04:47 PM

I figured it was better to make someone laugh rather then just say I'm funny.

That's exactly what you're supposed to do. But, the flow of it all is important too. Otherwise it comes off as random jokes from a book.

I feel like the profile may be getting a little too long now.

If it's entertaining, I'll read the whole novel. I like it.

Do you wear a kilt during the race?
 firefly416
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2013 3:10:38 PM
I love the photos but you still need one close up head and shoulders shot, no hat or sunglasses. Take out the bathroom joke. Even if women laugh to be polite the are thinking "can't ever take this one home to meet parents".

The first date is silly but I'm not sure it would stop anyone from contacting you.
 GJBrown
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/28/2013 8:24:17 PM
Its not you or your profile. its Far from terrible.
Its the age range. 18- 27ish women don't know what they really want. and the few that do get so many messages anyway that a few good guys get over looked. and youre 5'9. lots of shallow ladies don't like the whole under 6 foot thing. and being Non- Religious could be a factor if you message women who are religious.
Anyway at our age OP we are better off Offline. but this is also an option. You seem like a decent young man and easy on the eyes so you will meet someone eventually
 AChangeOfSeasons
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/31/2013 9:27:23 AM
Sorry for the pointless message but OP you and I could be brothers (barring ethnicity differences), lol.
I don't go a day without playing guitar either plus also an engineer here :P
I know you got that scale from Conan's video game reviews, that's pretty clever. Wish I had thought of that haha.

You seem like you have your life and goals together. If you don't get replies now (specially cause you're < 6' [dumb reason]), don't worry, at an older age it becomes easier for males and more difficult for females lol.
 ouija2013
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/31/2013 9:40:32 AM
^^ cling to that theory^^^
 Lexti
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/31/2013 5:44:57 PM
^^No he didn't!! Keep thinking that kid...lol. KEEP.THINKING.THAT.
 You go first
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/31/2013 6:36:23 PM
It was definitely a good read. As already suggested, it seems they can't get a good look at you and won't take a chance.

A well-lit smiling full on shoulders up shot would be killer. NO selfies.
 talldarklove
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/1/2013 8:57:24 AM
I wouldn't feel discouraged, but online dating isn't for shy people though. I don't know you personally, but you really have to be aggressive in a non stalker/creepy way honestly. You have to really take charge by introducing yourself, if not all you will get are profile views and some meet me notifications from my experiences online.
 AChangeOfSeasons
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/2/2013 12:14:47 AM

^^ cling to that theory^^^

Didn't make a theory. Just cliff-noting a reference to cheer the OP up, relax.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/society-and-culture/why-women-lose-the-dating-game-20120421-1xdn0.html
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/2/2013 2:03:59 AM
^^ LOL. What a load of utter rubbish. Someone got paid to write that tosh?
 AChangeOfSeasons
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/2/2013 7:57:22 AM
lol apparently.
It's pretty dumb and generalized but hilarious. The butthurt comments are the most fun to read IMO lol
There's a few around the internet like that
 MichelleMyBelle2003
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/12/2015 7:26:47 PM
Your main pic is just fine. At least it shows artistic thought. I didn't see a sex panther joke and I just looked at your profile, so maybe you took it off. You can't win, so just get a grip on that. I get a zillion views. 98.998% of them are a 0% match. The ones who do write are so NOT for me that it's ludicrous. I do actually scan their profile if they appear to be at least nominally normal.
Don't feel bad. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Take it as entertainment and look elsewhere in real life. You are nice looking. Too young for me but I can appreciate your dilemma.

Most of the profile pics on there fall into these categories:

1. Thug types of all races, with tough faces, in their car, on a blue collar job site, or in crude self-shots with zero originality.
2. Naked torsos and bed shots. Guys so hung up on themselves there will never be room for anyone else.
3. Triple-chinned middle-aged chubsters, but these men all want a supermodel chick half their age.
4. Obvious fake photos/profiles....one guy claims to be a dentist but is on there 24/7. When does he have time to drill, teeth, I mean? Fake. He wears a goofy red baseball hat and shirt, really long face, horse teeth, yuck.
5. Guys wearing baseball caps in all pics. Bald.
6. The big adventurer who has to impress everyone with himself placed in exotic travel situations or wresting with multiple lions, like Samson. Upon further inspection, I can see photo-shop in operation.
7. Guys who pretend to be looking for marriage and hint at a big income. They pose in places where only the well-heeled go, or in front of giant marble fireplaces, with expensive artwork hanging above. These are the scariest, I think. They are looking to lure women into thinking they are marriage material when in fact a woman will find they are looking for sex. The marriage/money image is a big hook for a very silly fish. He's probably already married.
8. Pictures taken from so far away that you have no idea of what you are actually looking at. Could be the Sasquatch. Or a serial killer. Who knows. Can't see the guy.
9. Men who have had the SAME one photo and profile up for years.
10. Men with psychotic eye stares, like Manson or Bundy.
11. All of the above may or may not have multiple pictures showing them with alcoholic beverages, and allude to promiscuous sexual proclivities.
12. The odd-ball sincere guy who might actually be worth knowing if he didn't come across as desperate.

I'd put a 13th here but I'm superstitious.
 MichelleMyBelle2003
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/12/2015 7:29:39 PM
Not rubbish. I have the same exact problem as he does.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2015 9:57:17 PM
You so seem to have everything going for you and I wonder why you are not meeting women in real life? If you think that your choices will increase greatly by being on a dating site, I am afraid you may well be disappointed. There are so many men compared to women and if you are contacting really hot looking women they could be fakes or just playing games. So do not have any great expectations and you will not be disappointed. If you do connect with someone ask for their number as soon as you have exchanged a few messages and arrange a physical meet, if they delay or make excuses, then move on.
 MichelleMyBelle2003
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/13/2015 6:38:25 PM
Letitia, I view your profile. No pics. An archaeologist with SOME university listed as profession? You have to at least have a baccalaureate in that field to even think about archaeology as a profession. A PhD. is more like it in actuality.
You repeat ONLY FOR THE FORUMS incessantly as the reason you're on POF. What category in my outline do YOU fit? You say you want to date but nothing serious but joined only for the forums? As an archaeologist, I'd think you have better things to do. What a world.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I get profile views, but no messages