Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help with my profile please      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RedWine59
Msg: 1
Help with my profile pleasePage 1 of 1    
I would love some tips/critiques on my profile. I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I send messages, they look at my profile, and then.......nothing. When I send messages I always try to pick one or two things that have been mentioned in the profile to comment on. I have gotten a few responses but not much in the way of ongoing conversation. I am sure some are just politely responding and that's great that they do. I am not so worried about any conversation or lack thereof, I am more interested in why they may look at my profile and not respond at all....
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Help with my profile please
Posted: 11/29/2013 6:59:16 PM

I am not so worried about any conversation or lack thereof, I am more interested in why they may look at my profile and not respond at all....

This is something that cannot be fully rationalized. They saw your message, looked at your profile and didn't care to respond. Simple. It happens to virtually everyone.

Remove the pictures of your feet and the fireplace. The only pictures that should be up should actually show your face.

It's hard to come away with a good idea of who you are when you stick to information about foods, movies or music.

The written word can only go so far when you are getting to know someone. You really have to meet in order to determine compatibility and see if there is any chemistry. Try me...you might like me! But you will never know if you don't meet me....

If you couple that with your headline then it gives off a desperate vibe. I see that as the main deterrent in your profile. You know, 'please try me'. Remember, you're talking to a complete stranger that you have no actual correspondence with so far. You dismiss guys just as easily as they have dismissed you. So, is this even really necessary or important to say?

Delete the information about using common courtesy with messaging at the bottom. It's unnecessary and doesn't really add to your profile at all. Common courtesy and online dating go together like respect and two guys in a slugfest; they don't! Also, remove the info about chatting, texting and messaging. You don't need to coach them as they already know the process.
 USF_girl
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/29/2013 7:02:30 PM
Hi there!

I really don't see anything too wrong with it, then again I'm not a guy....

Anyway, I think you have a nice length for your about me section and you seemed to really let your personality shine through, which is wonderful! One thing that kind of got me was the last line in your about me. I see what you were going for and I totally understand wanting at least a brief and courteous reply, however, I think that line may rub some the wrong way.

For example, if I were someone who might be interested and read that, I'd feel a little nervous to even send a message for fear of getting a rejection response. I think because when you see you received a message from someone that caught your eye, you're expecting to start a conversation, not be reject (at least online).

Other than that, I thought it was a very well constructed profile and description of the kind of person you are!

I hope that made sense and I wish you much happy and successful fishing! :))
 traveltrekker
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/29/2013 7:10:46 PM

I am more interested in why they may look at my profile and not respond at all....

Overall, your profile looks pretty good, with one "interesting" exception........your mail restriction as far as age range.

19 years younger and only 5 years older?
That will strike a lot of people as "cougar-ish".

How much difference would it really make if a guy was 59 and 11 months or 60 and 1 month?
 RedWine59
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/29/2013 7:56:58 PM
Thank you! I will take all that you said into consideration and make some adjustments.
 RedWine59
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/29/2013 7:57:30 PM
It makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for your comments!
 RedWine59
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/29/2013 8:00:14 PM
Oops!! That's not supposed be 19 years younger! Need to change that!! And I suppose that I can change to top age to 60 although for the most part I prefer a slightly younger man.
Thank you for your feedback!
 You go first
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/29/2013 8:18:32 PM
This version has a lot of hints/details that a man can use to start a conversation. However, the whole 'keep in mind' paragraph can go. Emotionally mature guys already know this. Idiots never will. Why waste the energy?

Two photos of your feet is one too many, unless you're looking for someone with a foot fetish. No problem if you are, just putting it out there....

I have also seen comments from men that have to do with dating 'tall' women. At 5'9", you are taller than average and many men will be intimidated by that. Nothing you can do about it of course, just another thing to be aware of. Keep messaging the men you find interesting - worked for me!
 RedWine59
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/30/2013 7:16:25 AM
Thank you! Definitely not looking for someone with a foot fetish!! LOL And thanks for the advice on the 'keep in mind' paragraph...you are right, the idiots will never get it and I am not interested in anyone that doesn't already know that.
 sandytm
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/30/2013 9:45:14 AM
I read your name as the drug flagyl.
 firefly416
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2013 2:25:00 PM
You're trying to attract someone who loves feet? If not, I'd delete the 2 feet photos. The rest of the photos are nice although it made me wonder why you had the same necklace on in most of them. The written part, while not extra thrilling seems okay.

I pretty much only date younger men too. Online dating is much harder than in real life. I've only met a couple people online but meet many at singles dances. Nothing that has worked out which is why I'm still looking everywhere. I still have the grocery store fantasy as a place to meet someone.
 RedWine59
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/1/2013 6:34:20 AM
Thank you all for your feedback.....I am making adjustments and have already gotten some positive results!
 ouija2013
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/1/2013 6:42:21 AM
It is just too cute for a woman your age. Example - you call yourself a girl twice. No.. just puts out the wrong vibe IMO
There is a sameness about your photos, try to get at least one of you out doing something.
Not sure what men would find in common - perhaps include the types of wine you like, your favorite football team.. things like that.
Overuse of the word I.
Not sure having " if you are an engineer" helps. What type of engineer do you actually mean?
Lose the coy " I might put on a skirt"
 Seki1949
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2013 7:44:28 AM
Moving to Central California and opening up your age restriction to 64 would help a lot. Assuming this is not foreseeable, drop the December 12 party picture with you all in red. The red top is not at all flattering compared to the rest of your nice pictures.

I like your text and disagree with ouija2013 who is usually wise. "engineer" and "skirt" are nice 'flirts.' Your current profile would be easy for me to reply to.

Let me know if you book a moving van....
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help with my profile please