Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Advanced Search interest search missing?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Advanced Search interest search missing?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was redoing my profile the other night and my interests disappeared.Even the ones on the page.Actually I had to re-list them.Then again I am an investor!Kack!Kack!
 Ainen
Msg: 4
Advanced Search interest search missing?
Posted: 12/8/2013 7:21:21 AM
A strange decision to remove interest search from advanced search.

The banner ads to the right of the full profile picture seem targeted to interests in the profile you're viewing. Therefore the feature seems like a good money maker for the site. For example, if I view a gal who has bicycling as an interest, the ad shows a hottie on a bike with text "click here for active outdoor singles in your area".

Clicking on an interest in a profile ()
Edit: you can search on some parameters, but it doesn't honor the smoking / kids / overweight settings.

Two other things I see in advanced search:
1) It doesn't remember intent selections reverting to all intents. Not a huge problem; it takes just a few seconds to check long term and dating again.
2) The search by newest users apparently still sorts pages by last online, then newest users within that page. Better if it sorted the whole shebang by newest users. An easy tweak in the sql code?
 2003Corvettes
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/9/2013 6:01:00 PM
I agree 100% ,who cares about hair color ,height, money ,etc...i want to meet someone with similiar interests .and some of us want too meet a younger women with a lot more vitality ,and energy ,not ready for the rocking chair. I do agree getting rid of the filthy dogs just looking for hook ups ,but i guess no ones listening anyway . Maybe time to search else where.Good luck find a real relationship!!!
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/9/2013 10:45:32 PM
If all you want is a simple search with an interest, use the one you get by clicking a linked interest on your or any user's profile (the interest has to be a hyperlink). The Begin Interest Search button actually initiates an Advanced Search using only the criteria available on that page. So, while you can search for an interest, the search itself is limited to just the few parameters available.

No idea but did you realize you can go to your own profile and click on one of your interests to get a list of people near you with the same interest?

Clicking linked Interests on a profile does not necessarily show users who are close by; it's capable of simultaneously showing users of both genders, any age, worldwide. For example, http://www.pof.com/interests/music.aspx. Those results are unique to that function and are different from the results obtained by clicking Begin Interest Search.
 tick
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 6:18:33 PM
that really sucks. i spent near an hour looking for the interest search. now i find that you threw it away and replaced it with a search engine that only works a little. you know, philly isn't anywhere near 100 miles away. more like 250...

anyway, there's no interest search, and no decent search engine. i need to sort thru completely bazaar results, and somehow this is better?

give us back the interest search.

oh, and that msging thing is bs. if someone says their looking for someone 18-40, then why the hell cant i msg t hem? do i need to make a completely fake profile just so i can?
 cjkrythos
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2014 6:00:03 AM
Not to necro a thread, but it appears the framework for the search function IS STILL THERE! I actually noticed this issue too, so I decided to just modify the google search engine into its advanced mode, do a search of only POF.com and then typed in interests that I wanted to see. Not only did I get a bunch of links to specific profiles, but the first one I got was the following.
http://www.pof.com/interests/wolves.aspx

Of course, you all probably wont be searching for people interested in wolves, and might want to modify the "men" or "Women" parts, but since I seem to have stumbled on two distinct ways to still make this work, I figured Id share. You better not let the people at POF know they havent taken this out, they might do so just to spite us. Of course, if they do, I can personally guarantee my profile will be deleted within hours of this decision. I have no tolerance for a company that doesnt care for the needs of its customer base. Its bad enough we all have to resort to playing with the website address in order to get what we want.

Either way, enjoy!

No worries about reviving old threads - if the topic is relevant and the post adds to the conversation, this is a preferred method of posting.

the other
Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS ||
 furydeath93
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/24/2014 2:02:11 PM
Ya I used that a LOT and now that they removed it you have to search a ton of profile's just to find anything good. Like others have said I don't care about money or Drinks, or hair color, or income, or easygoingness but oh don't you DARE look for people of the same interests.

I do like how at the top of the page it still say's "If you are searching for multiple interests, separate them with a comma."
 checkinthingsout15
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2014 4:41:50 AM
Yea, I noticed too how it says that at the top. Not surprised though, POF is a pretty JV run website. A dating site without a keyword or an interest search just kinda sucks.
 takemetoahigh
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/20/2014 3:20:17 PM
Hey there,
We can do an advanced search, but in particular the interest/keyword section is missing in the Advanced Search.

Such as if I want to narrow down to aviation as a key interest. I used to be able to type in the word "aviation" and it would narrow down to all users who talk about aviation on there profile.

What happened to this function? Is this function coming back? It would help out a lot.
 JP1989MKE
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/12/2014 3:51:51 AM
I agree. Complete bull. I want to find women that play tennis and now I can't anymore. Arrgh
 SimonEly1967
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2015 4:13:58 AM
The above tricks work for now but only for single word interests. If you try to edit the interest to a two word one then the search will fail even if there are users with those interests. I can't believe POF dropped keyword searches. I can only assume they don't want anyone to actually find their match as they would then stop using the site.
 Acon101
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/6/2016 9:50:02 PM
I found you can not search user names anymore am i doing something wrong? Am finding this dating site wants you to pay and is slowly taking away useful tools for a dating site unless you pay
 SamuelVimes
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2016 11:15:13 PM
Its still there but it doesn't work in any useful manner

Click on an interest (you profile or anyone else's) and you get a list of all users in the database with this interest.
Sadly this is totally useless since it is not limited by country, age or anything else
However, a section at the top appears which seems to allow you to limit the search to useful stuff like Country, Age, etc and has a box in which you enter an interest.

Sadly I have never managed to get anything other than
There are no users in the database with this interest "interest">
 Luckyday21
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/30/2016 4:34:00 AM
yeah it seems LAME now that they got rid of it...

I was interested in searching for VEGETARIAN or VEGAN and now it's pretty much a useless site... unless one is just seeking casual sex.... by removing that interest search feature they made it more of a site geared toward casual sex in my opinion
 Dr. Weird
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2016 12:27:40 PM
That's kind of a weird philosophy, since casual sex would also be more of an interest, but it certainly makes the site useless for any actual pursuit of someone compatible.
And therefore completely useless.
 Zenon86
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2017 5:28:10 PM
How?
 Amazing_Adventure
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2017 10:52:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out if the search function is broken or the page javascript is broken. I suspect it's the javascript since actually doing the database lookup at the back end is trivial.

The advanced search is now done with a POST. This is because the data exceeds the 255 character limit of a GET. But the www.pof.com/advancedsearch.aspx? still accepts query strings. Someone just has to figure out what the correct field name is for interest.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Advanced Search interest search missing?