Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is there something amiss with my profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Beauregard63
Msg: 2
Is there something amiss with my profile?Page 1 of 1    
Getting little or no replies in your age group ( 18 to 28 ) is common on here and the number one question that comes to mind is what sort of women you are messaging. There are probably 5 to 10 men for every woman in your age range on this site so the women tend to be very picky which they can given the overwhelming odds in their favor. The men tend to be picky as well and then wonder why they are not getting any replies.

Best thing I can suggest is to add some pics where you are looking sharp rather than just pics in a casual setting.

I would focus on meeting women IRL... given your hobbies you are probably encountering groups that are usually a sausage fest - you might want to engage in activities that women tend to attend as well.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Is there something amiss with my profile?
Posted: 12/4/2013 11:49:01 AM
There is only one photo where we can actually see your face. How is a woman going to decided if she wants to date you or not if she cant see you.

Your text is ok, but you don't mention anything about dating. Tell the reader what kind of woman you are looking for, what you like about being in a new relationship. Why should the female users of this site date you over every other guy on here?
 You go first
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/4/2013 12:41:13 PM
A couple of quickies...

As already suggested, a close up shoulders/head shot with a big smile is great for a main. Consider someone viewing you on a little cellphone app. I like the 'Tough Mudder' photos- we have that here, too.

At 24, women you will be contacting may be a bit daunted by the Long Term thing, expecting you'll want to propose by the second date. How about considering changing that to Dating and just see where it goes? It's generally expected when you have "Looking for a relationship" in your Intent that you are not just playing around.

The Interests tend toward the immature. (manga, anime.... I had to double check your age) Why not add a few more items outside of the world of animated fantasy? A favourite holiday spot, sport you play/team you follow, TV show that is not anime, comedian, music group or artist? A woman wants to know you have a full range of Interests.

The "Hi, how are you?" messages tend to be viewed as 'spam' messages and more that not get deleted. Instead of wasting your opening line with fluff, start right in with "I saw you liked Disneyland". (or whatever) It immediately tells her you read the profile and are not cutting and pasting a message to dozens of girls in hopes of a hit. Follow up with one or two sentences on the same topic and close with a question so she has an easy way to respond IF she chooses.

But first, smiling head shot for your main.
 prit123
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/4/2013 1:33:42 PM
I don't think this is passing judgement, but really is a constructive criticism. It's not that you have to change who you are, it's about showing the best side of who you are that girls will like. Someone once told me that it's easier to ease into a relationship if you introduce these things slowly. Most women will say Manga/anime/video games is something you should grow out of. But we all keep it our dark little secret (I'm a major comic book nerd). You are clearly into other things like the warrior dash/mud run, rock climbing, etc. focus on that stuff. Likewise, if you met someone out in public, you wouldn't lead off with that.

Also, even if you emailed 100 girls in our age range, only about 5-10 will be replying. Most people are hesitant.
 Indira46
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2013 2:03:12 PM
Delete the last line.

Add a paragraph describing the type of woman you are seeking using personality traits. Use words that have an opposite meaning that isn't negative.

The first messages that you are sending out are bad.
 You go first
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/4/2013 3:02:32 PM

Most women will say Manga/anime/video games is something you should grow out of. But we all keep it our dark little secret (I'm a major comic book nerd). You are clearly into other things like the warrior dash/mud run, rock climbing, etc. focus on that stuff.

This is exactly what I meant. If you are into that stuff, fine, but when it takes up half your Interests field it appears as an obsession to the exclusion of other healthier activities. I personally don't care what you like or don't like, just letting you know what I have read over many years of doing profile reviews and how young women perceive those particular interests in general. (And by "in general" meaning almost 100% of the young women who comment.) Of course there are young women out there with the same interest, but you will be competing with a bazillion other geeks for their attention. If you have a more rounded profile, you will have a better chance of connecting with someone with other interests as well.
 You go first
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/5/2013 10:46:12 AM
You really need to understand this.

We don't know YOU. We can only use what YOU have chosen to represent YOU in YOUR profile. YOUR profile makes you sound immature with a fixation on cartoons. I don't think I can explain this any clearer. If YOU choose to leave it as it is, you will continue to have the same results. It's up to YOU.

If you don't like to be judged by what you have chosen to represent you, you are really not going to survive online dating.
 Seki1949
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2013 10:55:58 AM
^^^^^^^
Exhibit A: Why I try to refrain from reviewing those less that 1/2 of my own age. We are in different worlds. There is a market for the OP's profile, it just a small market.
 You go first
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/5/2013 1:32:33 PM
Oh, I'm sure there are probably girls out there that enjoy the same thing. However, in 5 years of doing reviews for all ages, I haven't seen a female profile with Anime or Manga as an Interest yet. A couple of Hello Kitty, but I don't think that's the same thing...
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2013 3:57:35 PM

More than you'd think, and I've seen plenty of profiles that list it as an interest. And I'm not surprised you haven't. Looking at the front page of this forum there's only two women asking for review, the rest are men. You can't really make an informed judgement when you only see such a skewed representation.

In defense of the OP, indeed there are women who enjoy anime, manga and videogames on this website. They are fewer in numbers than the majority, of course. By now, videogames should kind of be a dead giveaway considering something like 65% of U.S. households actively play videogames.

Manga and anime are more isolated interests but they're harmless even if one has a strong affinity for them. It could be worse. The OP could be really into taxidermy, goat sacrifices and the mating sounds of bullfrogs but he's not. You aren't OP, right?
 You go first
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/5/2013 4:23:44 PM

You can't really make an informed judgement when you only see such a skewed representation.

I give up, honey. You asked "Is there something amiss with my profile?" and I offered an opinion based on literally thousands of profiles. Do with it as you wish. Leave the Interests exactly as they are and hope for the best. At least you changed the main photo to a smile.

Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is there something amiss with my profile?