Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Christmas Question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mala87BB
Msg: 1
Christmas Question Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hi, thanks for reading...
I have a dilemma. I was just informed that my gift for my significant other was "lame"... He works from home, with a laptop and uses a wireless mouse. Jus a plain black mouse... We were watching James Bond the other night when he informed me his dream car was an aston Martin... Long story short I bought him an aston martin wireless mouse. It's made by aston martin, has functioning rear and head lights and evidently also makes engine noises. I also got him a much needed wallet. I have no idea what he got me... Should I return and start over? We've been dating six months, exclusive for two.

Thank you!
Mala
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 2
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 2:34:07 PM
Who told you it was lame?

I think it sounds really cute. Obviously you can't get him the car, but the mouse is an adorable idea. It shows you WISH you could get one for him! Sounds like something any guy would get a kick out of.
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 2:34:57 PM

Should I return and start over?

depends on the circumstances under which you were informed your choice was 'lame.' if you tested the waters indirectly and he gave a thumbs-down, then yeah, try again. have you actually asked him what he wants?
 4ms4me
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 2:38:15 PM
Yeah, who told you it was lame? Was it someone who has intimate knowledge of your BFs likes/dislikes? Even if he didn't want to use it as a mouse, he might like to just have it around, as a fun novelty and a reminder of you. Unless it was your BF telling you it was lame, I think you should just go with what you feel is appropriate. It is, after all, another way of learning about each other.
 Mala87BB
Msg: 5
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 2:50:11 PM
Wow, thanks for all the input guys, y'all are awesome! I went to HH with my female coworkers. I thought I had this fantastic gift worth kinda bragging about but I was informed they thought it was: lame, impersonal, inexpensive and not romantic. Hence my second thoughts... He told me he wanted fairly ridiculous things; such as a plane ticket to octoberfest and a range rover. He hinted he needed a new wallet though...
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 2:59:10 PM
I think it's a great gift.

Guys don't seem to really care about gifts all that much, in my experience.

The wallet is something he mentioned he needs, and the mouse is cute and shows that you listen to his dreams.

Go for it, in my opinion.

Romantic? Were you supposed to give him flowers or something?
 bmore_goat
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:07:35 PM

but I was informed they thought it was: lame, impersonal, inexpensive and not romantic.
.....for them!
Most guys are NOT looking for romantic Christmas presents. Especially if you were only dating 6 months.
As a computer geeky IT kind of guy, I think your gift is awesome!
And how in the hell was it an "impersonal" gift? You got him something that was related to a personal interest of his.

I think the lesson you might want to learn here is don't ask your friends for advice about your BF.
 ladymercury
Msg: 8
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:14:53 PM
Oooooohh, girlfriends can be sooooo picky sometimes ...

Want to spice it up a bit and give yourself some ammo for your post Xmas story? Wrap yourself in holiday paper with the car mouse between your boobs and the wallet between your legs. Let your SO unwrap his present.

Voila! You've got a good as gold, personal and original gift exchange story to brag about in the new year.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 9
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:20:50 PM
The man is supposed to buy YOU the romantic gift ( ie jewelry, perfume, lingerie) not the other way around. The gifts your bought aren't lame at all. The mouse sounds really cool, sounds like you were paying attention to what he likes. He'll appreciate that! Don't return any of it.
 usmale6
Msg: 10
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:30:09 PM
I think the Austin Martini mouse or whatever it is shows you are thoughtful and listen to him and are good at finding out what he wants and likes. I will admit the real car as a gift would be better than the mouse, but you are better than the car. How does that grab you?!
 c_deacon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:34:22 PM
Come on OP......Be romantic and refinance your home, take a second out on it, and then buy him the real deal......;)

I am with others that said most men are not the gift kind with a thought process in the romantic area. My rule of thumb is to buy something that they would not buy themselves but just might enjoy.....So.....Back to buying him the real Aston!!......Yes maam, that would get my attention and my thanks......smiles

cd
 Mala87BB
Msg: 12
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:36:52 PM
Aww, y'all are the best! Imma keep all of it. :-) hope you guys have a great holiday!
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 13
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:38:55 PM
If he doesn't want it, you can always sell it on eBay.
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 14
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:43:43 PM
As a guy I really don't care much about a gift, it's the thought so I think it's a good gift. Now I would check on his current mouse and see if yours has the same features.
 02HDF150
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 3:48:03 PM
I think your gift choices were awesome. I'm a car buff myself and would appreciate the Aston Martin mouse. Like others have said, the gift shows you listened to him about his likes. You also get extra points for finding something like that. IMO you did good!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 16
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 5:21:10 PM
A couple gifts that are thoughtful AND functional are GREAT! Your BFFs probably complain all the time about their husbands being on the internet too much and think ANY computer accessory just adds to their 'problem'. Some women get 'catty' if another woman is in the same room wearing the same jeans -- you can't take it terribly seriously.

One note; For a first Xmas together you never have to push your intentions to be something 'more'. Some people try too hard. Don't ever say that you'd like to get him a REAL Aston Martin because that's a gift where even the IDEA of it is totally over-the-top. Keeping it basic and simple works really well. Your choice sounds really sweet.
 TrebleMaker87
Msg: 17
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 6:41:24 PM
I think this is really sweet and thoughtful of you! Christmas is supposed to be about "thought"....not material things (but I think it's a rather awesome material thing that he'll enjoy--especially since he works from home!)
 Alphacuck
Msg: 18
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 8:11:11 PM
OP Listen to me VERY carefully!

I don't care how good you think your friends are, if they're single, they will give you the worst advice ever. Either intentionally or unintentionally. NEVER EVER EVER EVER, EVER listen to them about anything man related.

Talk to a woman or a man that is or has been in a very long term relationship.

BTW, I think the mouse is a great idea. The wallet would depend on him. Myself, I'm kind of picky or more correctly, particular about certain features of my wallets. If he's like that and you KNOW the features then great. Or if he isn't particular, great. Otherwise, meh, who knows?
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 19
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 8:13:55 PM
Sounds awesome! If he doesn't like it, I'll take it!
 jlynn1955
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/17/2013 10:44:11 PM
It's a great gift. It shows you were listening to him and remembered him saying that, etc. Of course the girls are gonna think it lame. It's not something most women would want themselves.
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 21
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/18/2013 4:47:35 AM
Whatever gift you give him, just make sure you are naked. A big 'ol wrapped box of nothing is awesome if a naked girlfriend is giving it. Bonus points if you wear a bow/ribbon.
Take that suggestion back to the gaggle, see what they say.

Range Rover? WTF?
 sumbeach0822
Msg: 22
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/18/2013 9:23:08 AM
Don't listen to other people about your personal relationship, OP. The fact that you paid attention enough to know his favorite car is an Aston Martin tells me he'll love it -- it sounds super-cute and I'm not a car fanatic :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 23
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/18/2013 9:47:37 AM
another vote for, "your female friends know what they want, not what a particular guy wants."

I have the Corgi die cast models of that DavidBrown5 Aston Martin. A car mouse that lights up? I'd buy the $#$ing for myself :). Guys buy pictures of their dream car. if i got that as a gift, i'd actually express glee, and who doesn't enjoy seeing that when giving a gift?

you listened to him talk, and got him what he mentioned. a gift doesn't need to be diamond-crusted to be cool.
 ladyc4
Msg: 24
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/18/2013 9:52:17 AM
OP
I have a long history of buying Xmas gifts for bfs, SOs , husbands, and I think your choice of gifts is very clever!
Cindy O
 femaleconnection
Msg: 25
Christmas Question
Posted: 12/18/2013 12:52:10 PM
Best advice ever...dont ask your gf's about anything in your relationship. They will only advise you as to what THEY would want/do and it wont be a reflection of that HE would want or do. Your gifts sound completely appropriate.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Christmas Question