Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Looking for a profile review      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LogeyBear
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Looking for a profile reviewPage 1 of 1    
Hi

So I'm new to online dating and was looking for a critique on my profile, keep in mind I'm from the UK.

Also if I could just ask a few quick questions, is it worth completing the needs and chemistry test? Also, do people find the meet me feature useful?

Thank you
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Looking for a profile review
Posted: 12/20/2013 10:55:22 AM

In a woman I’m looking for someone who shares similar morals and values to me, someone fairly laid back who doesn’t take themselves too seriously and can laugh at themselves. I'm not a massive shopper myself but I'd wait in line all day if it was for the right girl, you don’t have to be massive sports fans but it would be nice if you could humour me and feign an interest.

I’m pretty content with life as it is but I’d like to meet someone who I can share my experiences with and create new memories together. It doesn't matter if we don't share all the same interests. The one thing I have learned from three years of a Chemistry degree, is that opposites attract.

This is somewhat conflicting. First you want someone who is similar to you, then you say you can share different interests and then say you believe in opposites attracting. Do these all overlap for you or is there a specific one that actually works best for you?

is it worth completing the needs and chemistry test?

Not really. It's not something people even take seriously because tons of people haven't even completed them. Plus, they have no tangible effect on how you and any given woman will actually get along.

Also, do people find the meet me feature useful?

Nope. It's about as useful as a shattered bowling ball.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/20/2013 10:58:16 AM
Pictures are poor quality. Take new photos with a good quality camera. Make sure at least one picture shows you from head to toe.

The needs and chemistry test don't mean anything. I've never looked at anyone else's results. Meet Me can show you new profiles you may not have seen before, but it's no guarantee of a response.

I'm not a fan of the winky faces.
 LogeyBear
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2013 1:48:12 PM

This is somewhat conflicting. First you want someone who is similar to you, then you say you can share different interests and then say you believe in opposites attracting. Do these all overlap for you or is there a specific one that actually works best for you?

Thanks, I see what you are getting at. I'll try and reword it/remove it, what I'm trying to get across is that I don't need/expect someone to share all my interests. Part of the experience and enjoyment for me in meeting new people is being introduced to new things/interests that I've never tried before or that I wouldn't normally do, vice versa for me showing my passions to someone else who may have never appreciated it before. At the same time I'd like someone who is on a similar wavelength to me, gets my sense of humour. I'm a bit of a mickey taker and can be very sarcastic and a bit of wind up merchant, I can be silly and don't like being serious. So if a person is uptight, has a short fuse or gets offended easily then that person wouldn't be for me. Then someone who partially shares my values like being close to my family, being proud of my roots and doesn't smoke or do drugs.

I think there has to be a certain level of core similarity but then having different interests just opens up many different doors for exploring.

You've convinced me to remove the opposites attract, I believe it to a certain degree but also included as it could be easily referenced to my Chemistry degree
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2013 3:54:55 PM

I'm a bit of a mickey taker and can be very sarcastic and a bit of wind up merchant, I can be silly and don't like being serious. So if a person is uptight, has a short fuse or gets offended easily then that person wouldn't be for me.

Be careful with that though. Being uptight, having a short temper or being easily offended are not exclusive to someone being serious. In fact, these are pretty much traits we all share in some capacity. All it takes is the right person to bring it out of us when you think about it.

You've convinced me to remove the opposites attract, I believe it to a certain degree but also included as it could be easily referenced to my Chemistry degree

I wasn't trying to convince you to remove that. Instead, I was just wanting that to be more clear because yeah opposites do attract. However, that doesn't entirely guarantee that they work together .
 LogeyBear
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:14:17 PM
Man, I suck at this stuff. Maybe I'll retire and become a hermit instead

I've taken most of the smiley/winky faces out now, I wasn't a fan of them myself but someone suggested I used them to show in parts that I wasn't being serious when I was trying to kid

I initially wanted to write a paragraph like

In a woman I’m looking for someone who shares similar outlooks on life to me, a person who just takes each day as it comes, someone who doesn’t take themselves too seriously and already have the next 10 years of their life planned out minute by minute. It’s not a requirement that you like sports but it would be nice if you could humour me and feign an interest and in turn I’ll pretend to be interested in how you had your hair and nails done.

The last bit is meant to be in tongue in cheek but the person who helped me write it initially thought something like this was too condescending, would you agree?

When I'm writing, I think I'm either coming across as too boring or trying to be too clever and making myself look like a bit of a wally.

How do people feel about closing the about me section with something cheesy like

Staying true to myself, I'll sign this section off with a bad chemistry joke

Does your body consist of Oxygen and Neon? If you answered yes, then you could be the ONe.

This online dating shizz is hard.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:32:30 PM

The last bit is meant to be in tongue in cheek but the person who helped me write it initially thought something like this was too condescending, would you agree?

It's not being condescending. It's called being a man. In what alternate universe are men genuinely interested in women getting their nails and hair done? Unless each of her nails has the full Unit Circle designed into them or her hair is fashioned to that of a Super Saiyan, then who cares? That's more condescending but that's just me. What you wrote was fine.

When I'm writing, I think I'm either coming across as too boring or trying to be too clever and making myself look like a bit of a wally.

It's difficult to find the right balance between being interesting/clever and just flat out BS-ing. Look at it this way. Most dudes just throw some words on the page and call it a day. But when you actually stop to think about how you come across to the reader (which is what you're doing) then it will automatically make you stand out.

To find the balance, simply state something factual about you but say it in a clever/interesting way. Don't simply try to be clever with no actual substance behind what you say. If that makes sense.

Don't think too hard about it. Whether or not the chemistry joke actually made them laugh is irrelevant. What matters is that you showed your humor. You'd be appalled at how many humorless profiles there are out there.
 ouija2013
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:35:48 PM
Ok, I might not like the profile, but the chem joke is killah
Why? Why so hard?
Go easy
Honest, best. line, ever.
Not many want a short fused cranky..
so
write the profile as if you were speaking to a woman you are interested in
I never asked my BF what movie he liked, or what food he preferred
Romance. You have to work for Love.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:47:35 PM
Hahaha, please put in the ONe joke! I agree that it's good at showing your type of humor. It will appeal to the right type of woman for you. And I'll be honest, it cracked me up (but I love science jokes and cheesy puns).
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Looking for a profile review