Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Meeting someone before xmas...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dobermonster
Msg: 2
Meeting someone before xmas...Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Flowers - no no no...she's an acquaintance, what would you give an acquaintance for Christmas? A card.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 3
Meeting someone before xmas...
Posted: 12/22/2013 2:40:53 AM
Too soon to send them to her work - some people don't want peeps at work to know anything about their personal life, some don't want peeps at work to know about a boyfriend/girlfriend until it's pretty serious. Give her flowers (not a big bouquet) in person.
 five-marie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:18:40 AM
You've been talking for a month, dating for 2 weeks. I don't think it would be inappropriate to buy an inexpensive meaningful gift. Flowers is certainly an option. A book by her favorite author, a unique ornament. Unexpected gifts are usually the best.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:27:41 AM
In the season of giving, it would be a shame to stifle the genuine feeling you have, of wanting to give...so give. I like the idea of a nice ornament...something to mark the season but not over the top.
 HonkyTonk_Woman
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:28:06 AM
I'm with... five-marie....axe the flowers altogether.
I like the idea...of the ornament and a card....not too much and "if" it becomes a relationship of any length....it's a gift that is memorable and a keepsake for her. I know I treasured the first gift from my guy...happy holidays...
 ouija2013
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/22/2013 6:00:03 AM
You are the one dating her, give her what you really want. Personally the flowers to her house - would work for me :)
 ManOfAdventure28
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 6:02:25 AM
Flowers to her house would work for you....are you planning on collecting them from hers? ;) Just have him send the flowers to your address....unless you're into the drama
 Maleman999
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/22/2013 6:45:39 AM
If you're buying flowers for a girl you've known in person for a couple of weeks, what are you going to do for an encore if it develops into a bf/gf situation? What would you get her for Valentine's Day or on her birthday? If you're trying to dazzle her with gifts/flowers, she might expect something outstanding (and expensive) on every Hallmark holiday/special occasion, and could be disappointed if the next gift isn't as flashy and pricey as the previous one.

Getting her flowers or whatever would put pressure on her to get something for you in return. She might think 2 weeks of dating doesn't justify getting caught up with gift buying, but will put her on the spot if she gets something from you.
 cooldog65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 7:04:52 AM
^^^^^
As usual, I'm with Maleman on this one. Keep the bar low for now. Just enjoy getting to know each other without the pressure of holiday gift giving.
 usmale6
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/22/2013 7:26:00 AM
No gifts for the first two months. She's not in love with you yet.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/22/2013 10:17:32 AM
Laughing at the 3 posts before this. They advise to not give a small gift TODAY (i.e. quash your own desire to give a token of affection and, potentially, sabotage your budding relationship) because it MIGHT CAUSE (i.e. direct causality) the woman to become demanding and expecting of bigger gifts (i.e. she's only in it for the gifts) in the FUTURE (i.e. a future you may never get to anyway).

While I find the entire premise repugnant and can't say I, personally, know a woman who thinks like this (girls do talk about these things so I assume I would know this about a friend by now). But, there are always men who chime in threads like this with the same worn out story. I'll assume they're not total liars but refusing to take responsibility for their own bad pickers and/or trying to "buy" love with ever increasing gifts.

OP, do what you think is best. It's your relationship, not ours.

And Maleman, since when is Christmas considered a Hallmark holiday? It may be over-commercialized but it is not, at its heart, created for or by advertising. There should be about a billion Christians along any minute now to stone you.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 10:45:51 AM
For someone you've met once? No No No...especially at work a double No. If you need to do something maybe a single rose (or a favorite flower) on the next date.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/22/2013 10:51:28 AM

For someone you've met once?

The OP isn't real clear but it appears he has spent quite a bit of time with the woman over the past week.
That followed chatting online for a couple weeks.
So, he has met her in 3D more than once.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/22/2013 11:06:28 AM
she might expect something outstanding (and expensive) on every Hallmark holiday/special occasion, and could be disappointed if the next gift isn't as flashy and pricey as the previous one.

Indeed, is not this fact proven year after year as their demands grow from mere dove and hen to a cow, their own maid, and cawks a crowing? Never happy.
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 4:24:00 PM
I know this is crazy, but why don't you talk to her to see what her expectations are? Or what kind of gift would be appropriate for your relationship.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/22/2013 4:41:25 PM
OP: I think it all depends how much time you have spent thus far with this woman. It doesn't sound like you two are exclusive (yet) so at this point, I would keep it light....if you really like her, I would say flowers are a-ok....sent to her home, of course. If she is seeing other guys, and only receives flowers from you.....you will definitely stand out in a good way, as long as your card is not too mushy......something along the lines of "I've really enjoyed spending time with you, Merry Christmas...."
 Walts
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/22/2013 4:47:13 PM
A gift.

Supposedly something, someone is "wanting" to GIVE to another out of their own free will.

Obviously, I've been out of this "relationship" loop for far too long. Looks like there is rules and protocol for everything nowadays. I'm just having a hard time accepting it, especially at this time of year.

A gift.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:12:41 PM
A 'safe' gift for a new friend is NOT something overly sentimental or romantic. I vote AGAINST flowers or some lovey-dovey smells like rosy mush romantic Xmas card. Find a humorous card that will get a giggle and get something simple and practical like a $10 gift card for Starbucks or the movie theater some fast-food or deli joint she uses every week. Invest more in NEXT year when you'll have to worry about both Xmas AND a 1st dating anniversary gift.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:40:55 PM
Where do you guys get the idea that a $5-$10 bunch of flowers is some big romantic todo? It is a nice gesture. More than one man has brought me flowers for a first meet and/or first date. I didn't take as a proposal of marriage or even that we were going "steady". sheesh.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/22/2013 6:17:55 PM
Flowers sound lovely, a Christmas bouquet would be totally acceptable.

IF the bouquet is 'read' correctly as a Holiday decoration gift and not a romantic declaration of love -- it will work, but that's not under the OP's control. Some people just don't understand intentions, or get twitterpated that fast, and pushing for love usually means pushing them away.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/22/2013 6:39:24 PM
I feel a compromise is coming........

Find a humorous card that will get a giggle and get something simple

Something simple: a small bouquet of flowers or 1/2 dozen carnations, peach roses, dandelions, sunflowers, etc....

I think the above would be a very sweet gesture. I gather OP likes this woman more than a "new friend." I am not so sure practical is where you want to go....I mean a toaster at the 25 year marriage mark....ok that works......(kidding) but a Starbucks gift card for a woman you are romantically interested in.........I'll pass.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2013 7:12:03 PM
yes ,flowers or, and a nice box of sweets, thats what I would do. Go for it ,as they say, and good luck
 John255317
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/22/2013 7:20:20 PM
I agree with the flowers being a good idea. I am going to go way out on a limb and think that this woman that gets them is not going to assume they are a wedding bouquet! It's a simple gesture but one that should be easy and simple yet allow the OP to give her something. It's OK to like a person you meet and to show it.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/22/2013 7:55:41 PM
Op, this seems so simple to me, LOL. You can easily pick up a simple flower/s in a vase at a local grocery store. Or gloves and a scarf. If she drinks wine, a bottle of her favorite wine, or other favorite alcohol beverage. (LOL, No I'm not suggesting you get her drunk) Give her a funny Christmas card and/or, as others have suggested an ornament. Surely you know enough about her now, to know what she would like?
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/22/2013 10:49:30 PM
In my experience the gesture of giving flowers to a woman is remembered and appreciated much more when sent to her place of employment. That said, I think it’s too soon to send flowers!

I do agree with the suggestions that the Ladyinred provided. I think it should be something simple and more personal.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Meeting someone before xmas...