Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Hockey Over?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ed Bear
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is Hockey Over?Page 1 of 1    
Well, we've seen some recent co-promotions and moaning about young people not sighing up for organized hockey. Of course, that doesn't mean that kids aren't playing on the ponds and parking lots, but the lesser leagues are worried that the spectre of crippled or brain-damaged children will make parents reluctant.

Now comes the blockbuster - a cable-TV conglomerate buyout of all TV hockey rights in Canada, with the CBC allowed to carry some games for up to four years as long as they allow the new owners to run the advertising and take the cash.

After that, we can expect the end of free-to-air NHL hockey broadcasts, possibly by slow shrinkage, and then pay hockey channels and pay-per-view gouging. Given that hockey is already too expensive for anyone but corporate bribe recipients to attend in person, particularly kids young enough to be hooked for life, who will care about it?

When I searched this forum (Sports) for existing threads about hockey before creating this one, I found none with any posts newer than June 2013!
ED BEAR
 Walts
Msg: 2
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 12/26/2013 7:56:04 AM
Come on Ed. You know people, and with that, they may whine about "paying" but, they will "pay" to be entertained by others, ESPECIALLY in this phucked up town!!!!! The Canucks will always fill the rink no matter the price. All I heard during the strike was how people wouldn't be going to the games anymore, and yet, I don't see many empty seats.

And no matter what you "read" about minor hockey, it was always be. The "cost" of putting a kid thru "rep" hockey is gone off the charts but, there is always a list willing to jump in on a moments notice. Yes, some parents will start keeping their children out of the "houseleague" form of hockey because of the potential of head injuries but that has already been recognized by those organizations.
 _babblefish
Msg: 3
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 12/28/2013 8:10:52 AM

Now comes the blockbuster - a cable-TV conglomerate buyout of all TV hockey rights in Canada, with the CBC allowed to carry some games for up to four years as long as they allow the new owners to run the advertising and take the cash.

After that, we can expect the end of free-to-air NHL hockey broadcasts, possibly by slow shrinkage, and then pay hockey channels and pay-per-view gouging.

the only one to blame for the ongoing ruination of hockey is Bettman,

and then there are those of us that are quite giddy about the future and not having to listen to: Hockey Night In Toronto and the LeafsLeafsLeafs and having to mute out the brain damaged Don Cherry and his equally mentally challenged side kick Ron MacLean babble on about the LeafsLeafsLeafs and the LeafsLeafsLeafs between periods . .

there is a hockey god !
 Flurr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 1/13/2014 4:59:06 PM
Vipbox.net free streaming
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 5
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 1/15/2014 7:33:32 PM

but the lesser leagues are worried that the spectre of crippled or brain-damaged children will make parents reluctant.

And does this ^ surprise you. If you were an informed parent of a young child, and knowing what the medical (trauma) literature has uncovered, you'd have to have a few screws loose to risk your child's future without even knowing whether or not he'll ever make it big.

who will care about it?

Not to worry, there is always a viewership for blood sports (ie MMA); yes you may need to pay more (but the NHL moguls are banking that you will!), but as long as the fighting, the goonery, the hatchet men have a place in your sport, then there will always be a market somewhere.
 RenissanceMan68
Msg: 6
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 4/19/2017 6:48:50 AM
Apparently the threads on hockey are.
Wow has POF become pussified. Manslaughtered.
 Scar33Lord
Msg: 7
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 4/28/2017 9:03:39 PM
Hockey will never be over. Since both of my teams are now out of the playoffs, I surprise myself by rooting for the Predators.
 RenissanceMan68
Msg: 8
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 4/29/2017 2:21:27 PM
Scar...who are your teams?
Im a Red Wings fan, with a grudging affinity for the hometown boys in blue
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 9
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 5/1/2017 2:45:45 PM
For me, it's just starting: The Vegas Golden Knights---who else?
 Scar33Lord
Msg: 10
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 5/1/2017 9:05:30 PM

Scar...who are your teams?
Im a Red Wings fan, with a grudging affinity for the hometown boys in blue

Buffalo Sabres and Chicago Blackhawks.

I'm originally from Buffalo. I spent several years living in Chicago.
 Chromis1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 6/26/2017 10:38:40 AM

For me, it's just starting: The Vegas Golden Knights---who else?

In goal, you'll have MAF, who you poached from us. Treat him well, please - it's become apparent in the last few months that he's probably the most beloved sports figure in Pittsburgh, ever. Even more so than Clemente.

Eh, I should edit this. MAF is the most beloved sports figure in Pittsburgh who's ever left to play for another team. Mario, of course, never left and it's unlikely that Sid will, either.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 12
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 6/26/2017 1:15:27 PM

In goal, you'll have MAF, who you poached from us. Treat him well, please - it's become apparent in the last few months that he's probably the most beloved sports figure in Pittsburgh, ever. Even more so than Clemente.

Really, more than mean Joe Green, Mario Lemieux or S Crosby?

Either way, here in Halifax MAF people still remember when he made some serious errors that contributed to the loss during the goal medal JR game in 04.

Fleury's mistake sinks Canadian Junior team in finals

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2004/01/06/Fleury-s-mistake-sinks-Canadian-Junior-team-in-finals/stories/200401060079
 Chromis1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 6/26/2017 2:17:29 PM
Well, I did qualify the statement by excluding both Mario and Sid.

And, you're right. In addition to MAF's experience in '04, he had a horrible stretch of playoff performances from 2010-2014 when his save percentage was always under .900 and the Penguins were getting bounced out in the early rounds every year. He basically earned the reputation of being a head case. Nobody felt too bad when he got hurt two years ago and Matt Murray stepped in and helped us win another Cup. But then, this year, it was Murray's turn to get hurt, just 10 minutes before puck drop against the CBJ's, and Fleury stepped in, played well, and then stood on his head against the hated Caps in the second round, stealing game 7 for us. So he has a bad game against the Sens, gets pulled for a now healthy Murray, and everybody was screaming that Sullivan had made a huge mistake. Obviously Sullivan knew exactly what he was doing.

Everybody forgets how he played from 2010-2014 in the playoffs, they all remember the monstrous saves he made against Lidstrom in the finals against the Red Wings in '09, 7th game of the SCF, and how he played most recently. He made a 7 p.m. appearance last week at a local sports retailer, and the line to see him stretched all the way around the building as early as 8 am. Tributes to him are everywhere in local social and print media, and when he comes back as a Knight to play against the Penguins in February '18, I'm certain he'll get a standing ovation and the usual crowd chants "Fleu-ry, Fleu-ry".

Yes, more than Mean Joe. But then, Mean Joe retired a Steeler. Fleury is seen as a victim of circumstance, somebody who would have stayed a Penguin had there been no expansion draft, but instead got a raw deal.
 GrahamRawlings
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 2/1/2018 1:56:57 PM
Hi all iv only recently got into Ice Hockey I got to see my local club Swindon Wildcats we play in the English league division 1 south and even if the quality is nothing like you would see in the NHL its a good night out I get in and have money left over for a couple of drinks from £20 it makes a change from going to the football I follow Swindon Town in that.
From what I have learned Ice Hockey is expensive to learn to play and yes the rough nature of it dose put people off playing maybe if it was cheaper to learn more yon people would try it.
 elednuw
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Is Hockey Over?
Posted: 5/11/2018 2:19:21 PM
Not until the Jets win the cup this year.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Is Hockey Over?