Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review Request      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 antonio0279
Msg: 1
Profile Review RequestPage 1 of 1    
Hello All,

Just looking for a profile critique, both the written section as well as the pics. I'm looking for brutal honesty because I've been on the site for over a year and haven't had a single date yet.

Thanks in advance :)
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 2
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 5:33:49 PM
Antonio - You have 4 photos:alone, alone, alone, and alone. What does this suggest to a viewer? Nobody likes you, right? How about one or two pics that show you with other people, having fun? And while we're at it, how about a smile from you?
In the words below, get rid of what you "don't" like, stick to what you DO like.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 5:51:51 PM

Well that’s it for now, I am a pretty open book so ask me whatever. Good luck out there!

Guys, STOP wishing women luck in finding other dudes! Stop shoving them out the door at the end of your profile. Stop being so goddamn cordial!

With that out the way, the main problem is that there's not really an idea of who you're targeting to be found in your profile. You want someone who wants to be active with you but that's not even specific or exclusive to dating/relationship territory. You could technically do that with a platonic activity partner/friend.

So, think more about what differentiates a lover from all the rest and try to incorporate that in your profile. It doesn't have to be romantic in tone but just at least shed some light on what your actual dating intentions or expectations/standards are.
 You go first
Msg: 4
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 6:18:22 PM
When I was looking, I preferred photos of just the guy I'd be dating. Couldn't care less about his friends/family, wanted to see the eyes/smile. I like the photos as they are, but certainly more could be added. (no selfies... please!!)
A great big laughing smile is always very attractive.

Do keep in mind many women online can be really REALLY superficial. At 5'6", there is nothing you can do about that, but for many women they will automatically pass you by because of that. Their loss.

You missed the Interests field. Go with one or two-word specific examples of your 'favourites' (Movie genre, author, music genre/artist/group, instrument you play, sport you play, team you follow, food or cuisine, TV show, comedian, holiday spot.... clues!)

I do like the written portion - we have a very similar sense of humour. I'd have responded to that profile if I were half my age and looking, and lived in the middle of nowhere like you do. ;P

What are your introduction messages like??
 ouija2013
Msg: 5
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 6:41:45 PM
Starship nailed it
I feel I should take your lunch money.. come on Darlin
You want her, you don't want to pass her up/over
Go get her
No second chances.. do the work
 antonio0279
Msg: 6
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 6:50:27 PM
Thanks everyone so far, I am re-structuring my written profile to take into account some of your recommendations, while hopefully keeping the humour because that's what I prefer :)

As for the pictures, I definitely need to get more up and I know I need some where I'm laughing, but I agree with You Go First in that the pictures should be me only. I wouldn't feel right putting pics of my friends up on a random dating site for all to have access to.

I've tried different types of introductory messages. Some where it's fairly long and asking a lot about the person right off the bat, others where I just tried to be funny and confident (though re-reading them later they sounded more**** then confident). I've limited myself lately to short introductions where I mention a couple things I like about their profile (so they know I actually read it) and then just say I'd be interested in chatting. To be completely honest I've only messaged maybe half a dozen people, apparently I fear rejection online too, haha.
 antonio0279
Msg: 7
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 6:53:51 PM
the **** should be "arrogant"
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 7:36:54 PM

I've limited myself lately to short introductions where I mention a couple things I like about their profile (so they know I actually read it) and then just say I'd be interested in chatting. To be completely honest I've only messaged maybe half a dozen people, apparently I fear rejection online too, haha.

It's not so much outright rejection as much as it is the simple reality that you will only appeal to a certain kind of person. You shouldn't be afraid of being unsuitable for any given person. Being rejected is kind of like a fart in the wind; it's unpleasant for about 5-6 seconds until you realize it has no real effect on you now or in the future.

You're doing one thing right. It's that you're NOT filling up a Gatling Gun with messages and unloading them at women for the express purpose of getting a response. You've kept the rejection to a minimum. So, keep doing that but definitely message a little more than 6 women. That's not even enough to establish that there is a problem. Your problem is probably that you aren't active enough.
 You go first
Msg: 9
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/30/2013 9:27:16 PM
Don't ask them to chat in the introduction message. Just ask a question about something specific in the profile and she if she even responds. Asking to chat right away can freak a girl out as many guys get really vulgar really quick and the girls get a bit skittish.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 12:08:19 AM
Most women do NOT like to see a pic of the guy with other people. Just saying, ok? Up to you which way you want to go. You will get conflicting advice.

I have 2 problems with your pictures. First, you are not really smiling in any of them. Second, you are not doing anything in any of them. You need some pics of you doing something besides just standing/sitting there. Action shots so to speak, that show you enjoying some activity.

I did laugh about the snake, etc because I love those cheesy anaconda movies. Not sure most girls would catch it though. I think you need to put some focus on want your are looking for in a girl.
 sandytm
Msg: 11
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 5:48:48 AM
I want to see you smile and I really don't like other people in pics. I don't know who they are, don't care who they are and have to figure out which one is you.
 antonio0279
Msg: 12
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 10:28:04 AM
Thank you everyone for the great feedback! I need to work on the images, I don't have anything else to put up right now, but I have re-structured the written section.
 Indira46
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 2:09:02 PM
Delete the second to last paragraph.

Delete every single smiley face.

Correct your spelling of the word "they're" in the cooking paragraph.
 antonio0279
Msg: 14
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 3:22:54 PM
Thanks indira46, I made the 2nd and 3rd changes but I'm curious why you recommend I remove that paragraph?
 ouija2013
Msg: 15
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 4:07:41 PM
Because she is right
Doll.. you are looking to date women
A Beautiful woman tells you what to do
NEWS FLASH
follow her advice
 antonio0279
Msg: 16
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 4:38:44 PM
Maybe she is right, but saying I should do something for that reason alone or simply because the person giving the advice is attractive doesn't provide me with any constructive feedback that I can use in the future, which I believe is what this forum is for.
 Dobermonster
Msg: 17
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 5:12:00 PM
I think you should remove it because detailing physical characteristics could unnecessarily limit your audience. Like, how much make-up is too much? It's subjective. I might think, 'well I wear make up every day with eyeshadow and mascara, so I won't bother'. Or 'well I'm on the skinny side so I don't think I fit his definition of curvy'. What if there's a great lady who you would click with instantly but she has a runner's physique? What if she likes to doll herself up every day? You should only put in deal-breakers. If it's not a deal-breaker, it's negotiable and stating the preference can only hurt you. When you have the ladies flocking to your inbox, you can see what's out there and start being more strategic.
 antonio0279
Msg: 18
Profile Review Request
Posted: 12/31/2013 5:35:25 PM
Thanks Dobermonster, I appreciate the detail you provide and how you include the thought process, not only on my profile review but the others you've done as well.

And thanks again to everyone else, I'm sure the written portion could still use some touch ups but I feel it's definitely improved with all your assistance. Tonight I'll work on getting a couple "happier" pics :)

Have a safe and fun New Years!
 firefly416
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Profile Review Request
Posted: 1/1/2014 11:49:44 AM
I didn't read it earlier.The only thing that would stop me is the smoking. When we sign up we get to choose if we will go out with a smoker. So I never see the profiles of anyone who smokes. If one did write to me (because I've unblocked all the email restrictions to talk to people in the forums) I would not write back. The pictures you have are okay, just add more and some should be outdoors.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review Request