Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I think I'm doing something wrong      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ScooterSB
Msg: 2
view profile
History
I think I'm doing something wrongPage 1 of 1    
The text is pretty good, shows your personality and is quite fun/funny, quirky I guess you would say.

All I would say is add some more 'standard' stuff in there too, likes, hobbies, musical interests. You can read the whole thing and still not know a whole lot about you, other than you laugh at random things.

The pics on the other hand are pretty bad. Your profile pic is bland and has no smile. Your only other pic is one you admit you don't like and you put up for a bet( and it's not a great pic)

There are 8 slots for photos for a reason, use them. Your profile pic should be a clear head shot and you at your very best (think how you would want to look on a first date to make a good impression). The rest should be good, well shot (not selfies) and show you at your best, and show your personality.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 4
view profile
History
I think I'm doing something wrong
Posted: 1/1/2014 2:56:48 PM
Yes, the platypus. The platypus arguably has one of the most comical anatomies of the animal kingdom. It kind of looks like a duck and a beaver had a one night stand in the pond. What's more, the goddamned males are poisonous with venom in their spurs.

A crocodile would normally gobble up something that size with no problem. But when it sees a platypus, the crocodile does its death roll not to kill or escape being captured. It does the death roll because it's literally dying of laughter. You know, ROFL. Or in this case, DROFL, Death Roll On Floor Laughing?

Or worse case scenario, I'm the one who seems like an idiot just for dedicating an entire paragraph to platypi.

Well, yeah. You pretty much summed it all up right there. I suppose it would be ok if you complemented it with some actual substance, exposition or food for thought about you. But you didn't.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/1/2014 3:15:18 PM
It seems that every man struggling to get a response from women has unsmiling photos.

Sorry everyone, I lost a bet with a friend and she made me put this up. Just pretend it's not here...

That's not going to happen: women look at your photos first. Your second photo makes you look like a girl. To make things worse, this caption makes you sound like a wimp.

You have 8 seconds to make a good impression. Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and attractive. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cell phone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling.

Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Ask a friend to take 24 pictures of you outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8. Caption and date each photo-giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.
 You go first
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/1/2014 3:56:57 PM
Once you get the pictures redone, you can lose all the email restrictions except for No Smokers/Druggies. Unless, of course, you are completely overwhelmed with incoming messages....

The Interests field can be tweaked to add more specific items. Dr. Who, for example. Although it's mainly guys that love that, you may find a nerd girl who will get all silly about Dr. Who. Once it's in your Interests field, you can click on it and find others in the area with the same word in THEIR Interests field.

You also have that you are looking for Long Term. At your age, many girls will freak out thinking you'll propose on the second date. Why not just go with Dating and if it develops into something more, great! That way there's not as much pressure on your viewer.

What are your introduction messages like?

... and what exactly did you mean by the "claws are out" remark?
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2014 3:59:59 PM

Right so get rid of stupid sum-up sentence. I feel like it would need replacing with something though, you know, just in case the reader did not say the word "platypus" out loud and therefore thinks I'm a weirdo for assuming that they would do so.

Well, it's too late for that. The reader already thinks you're a weirdo because you opened up with the platypus in the first place. You may get some people with a sense of humor like me who will play around and actually try to banter about the platypus. But, you'll get some folks who aren't very impressed and see your attempt at humor as too try hard. So actually, in a way it kind of identifies people who at least can joke.

However, it's really just fluff. So, say for example, you actually owned a platypus (which would be badass). You could then tell a story about it or make some whimsical observation about you and it. That's actually substance. But if you just come right out with the platypus silliness with no logical connection to you, then the reader goes "Well, that's cute. But so what?"

So to appeal to both (the ones who banter and the ones who aren't impressed), you must merge humor and seriousness together. THEN, you've placed the onus on them because if they have a problem with it, then it's their goddamn problem, not yours.
 You go first
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/1/2014 5:19:51 PM
It sounds like you're on the right track for the messages, as long as it's not more than 1 question (girls don't want to reply in essay format) and no more than 3-5 sentences, otherwise you'll lose your 'audience'. They have a lot of messages to go through, don't waste your/her time with a lengthy first contact, especially if you don't know if she'll repond. Longer messages/conversations can come once there's a contact/connection.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2014 5:23:25 PM

As for what you said, StarshipNarrator, hmm, that's a lot to take in. When I was making my profile, I basically took one of my stand-up comedy routines, edited it and stuck it in my profile. I'll try and make it a bit less weird though.

Oh, so that was the process. Well, when people go into a comedy show or to see some of your jokes then they go with the expectation of you being funny (even if you may not be funny). They leave all their personal shit at the door and come to see you perform except for maybe some hecklers.

But online dating? Nope. People bring ALL their shit with them and can dismiss you before you've even finished your first paragraph. It's not the same kind of venue. I'm not saying be less weird. I'm saying you should keep the weird but focus it. Make it actually meaningful.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/1/2014 5:30:45 PM

The Interests field can be tweaked to add more specific items. Dr. Who, for example. Although it's mainly guys that love that, you may find a nerd girl who will get all silly about Dr. Who.

I can attest to the nerd girls that love Doctor Who. There's quite a few women that like it as well, though maybe not in Wales.

OP, are you going to update the headline every day? If not, pick something that can stand the test of time.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I think I'm doing something wrong