Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I Require a review of my profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NA73
Msg: 1
view profile
History
I Require a review of my profilePage 1 of 1    
Hi everyone
I have already tried starting a thread for a review of my profile but for some reason it wasn't accepted (something to do with length). Anyway I would appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile and see if there are any ways I can improve on it to maximise my chances of getting responses from women.

Happy New Year.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 2
I Require a review of my profile
Posted: 1/2/2014 1:34:45 AM
You have a good selection of pics, but you really need to zoom out a bit on the main. It's kind of extreme close-up.
Prefer not to say if you want kids seems like you're hiding something?

It's far from terrible, you've avoided all the common mistakes like bathroom selfies, saying really dumb stuff, spelling errors (apart from "who's" :)), etc. However it's basically a flat description. You've got some great hobbies and done some cool things so I really think you can inject a whole lot more excitement than this. This is meant ot be an advert for yourself, not a CV.

The 4th paragraph where you describe who you're looking for, isn't really very good. You don't need to say these things, you can simply message women who fit your criteria (since men do 99% of the initial messaging around here). The last line you can lose too.
Same for first date, you can lose the first sentence. If they don't want to meet within a week just drop them.

You have a lot of mail filters, they are all entirely unnecessary for any male on here. Unless you're snowed under my messages?
 ouija2013
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/2/2014 5:36:10 AM
Hi Neil
We will determine for ourselves if you are handsome. Smacks of arrogance when you put it in your profile.
Do you think women are attracted to shy? We going to sit on a meet just looking at the table?
The no time wasters. Remove that ASAP.
The Main is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too close.
 sandytm
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/2/2014 6:08:27 AM
I googled Penn y Van and it came back with Pen y Fan.
correct: I enjoying long scenic
 You go first
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/2/2014 6:44:30 AM
Based on your post in the other Forum, you should correct the kids question to 'Undecided'. Also based on that other post, it sounds like you may not be cut out for online dating... anyway....

The photos are nice. The profile itself could use more personality/description. You've been given some great suggestions already on which lines rub the wrong way, and which email restrictions can go. There's no reason to list an age range in your profile (or really at all) as it's duplicate in your email settings.

The Interests field with maybe 2 exceptions is completely generic. Instead, replace the generic words with one or two-word specific examples of each.

What are YOUR introduction messages like typically?
 firefly416
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2014 11:13:03 AM
I don't know what you mean by the no time wasters so I'm not sure the people you're talking to would either. I mean how would we know if we are going to waste your time? For example, most men I've ever met still love cartoons. I dislike them. So I think watching them is a waste of time but having 4 tv's in my house, I wouldn't refuse to date someone who wanted to watch them.

I haven't read your posts in other forums. But if you're saying you don't want to meet someone with children, I'd think the "prefer not to say" would probably mean no. I don't have kids, never wanted any. But that is extremely unusual for a woman. At the age range you want, a woman would be most likely to have kids and if not be in a hurry to find someone suitable to have them with soon.

I didn't mind the handsome comment. If someone didn't agree, except in here they probably wouldn't be reading your profile. I think if you had hair (any amount) you'd be handsome.

The photos are a nice variety.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2014 1:04:59 PM
remove all the mail restrictions,

If a hot 43 y/o or a sexy girl that love 76 miles away wanted to message you would it really be a deal breaker?
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/3/2014 3:30:49 AM
Good profile. I didn't see anything wrong and one very right sentence. I loved this one for both form and substance:

Geekesses and nerdettes a definite bonus.
 NA73
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2014 3:48:23 AM
Hi everyone
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to review my profile. I haven't necessarily taken all the advice on offer, but I have made a few changes and I most certainly welcome further comment.

Mark it Up, thanks for your compliments on my pics. You and Ouji2013 pointed out that my main pic is too close so though I haven't lost the photo, I have relegated it to just being one of the rest. I also corrected the spelling error you pointed out as well as grammatical and spelling error that Sandytm pointed out. I'm not quite sure how I can beef up the hobbies. As for the line about 'cyber courtship' I put that because to date I've only ever had one date with a woman I met online within a week of 1st contact. This is mainly due to scheduling conflicts, but occasionally there are other reasons.

Campfires, I appreciate your critism of my pics, in fairness I have to make do with what I have, though at least my digi camera has a timer so I'm able to do 'selfies' that don't like selfies. You and Mark it Up made reference to my extensive list of 'looking fors' (which I've also made reference to in my 3rd paragraph). Matbe this says more about me than the people contacting me, but although I'm not flushed with inbox replies, the ones I get, particularly if they've contacted me, seem to be from middle-aged, overweight women with kids, which is not what I'm looking for. At the expense of sounding like one of those ego-strokers that frequent here, I'd sooner have an empty inbox, than one full to overflowing from women I'm not interested in. That said I have taken what you've said on board and trimmed the list and reworded slightly my third paragraph.

Ouji2013, re my comment about my looks, people have compliented me on my looks, maybe they were just being polite or wanting to spare my feelings when they thought the opposite. It was merely put in there in jest. Though for the record, whilst I don't for a milisecond think I'm God's gift to Women I will take issue with anyone who thinks I'm ugly or repulsive. As for my reference to being shy, loads of people on their profiles put this and I think it can be charming and endearing and it shows I'm not some loud in your face kind of bloke. And no I wouldn't be staring at the table on a date, I'm not that kind of shy.

You Go First, I've corrected the 'prefer not to say' and changed it to 'undecided/open'. To be truthful I didn't know that option was on their. Similarly there's a 'prefer not to say' option for if you have kids which makes no sense at all. People who put that would almost certainly have them. As for your question about my 1st messages, it varies based on the what the messagee as put on her profile. I struggle when they've written very little.

Firefly416, what I mean by timewasters are people who aren't really looking for someone (In some cases that specifically could mean me I know). But I've had the misfortune of encountering, both online and in the flesh too many people who are trying online dating for the wrong reasons, ie someone's put them up to it. Or they lead very busy lives which is why the use the net to find someone, forgetting once they do find someone that they're still going to have to make the same time and energy available to be with that someone. When I wrote that line, in caps for emphasis, one woman who I'd been communicating with on here, just abruptly stopped communicating with me after a couplle of weeks of putting off our first date and another, I'd literally met via a singles night hosted by a rival dating site, was only on their because they're boss who was also a fiend of theirs recommended they go on there. The reason again was that she lead a very busy life with no time to go out. We went on just one date and then after a week or two of procrastination, she admitted that she just didn't have the time or energy. So that was aimed at all of those, I'm sick of encountering those kinds of women. I know by the way that at least someo of them just weren't interested in me and used that as an excuse, but still I am convinced that there are many people who use these types of sites when their hearts or priorities just aren't in it.

ScooterSB, for what its worth, I did preface my age restriction, at least in the main body of my profile with ideally, meaning if someone was just outside the age range and thats top as well as bottom of the scale who I liked the look of, I'd be only too happy to consider them. I've occasionally emailed women myself who I din't quite fit into their age range (though only by a year or two).

CynthiaSM, what more needs to be said :-).

Again feel free to continue to review my profile. Apologies as well to anyone of the above if I appear overly critical of them or their comments. Its certainly not intended. I'm well aware that people frequenting these forums, ask for advice or opinions on something and then throw a hissy fit when they don't like what they hear inreply. I do hope I didn't come across like that.
 ouija2013
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/4/2014 5:37:19 AM
Attractive people, like rich or smart people - never have need to mention it :/ Not saying you are ugly.. but it does come across as arrogant.
I am not sure why you asked for a review as you seem happy with what you have up.
Your profile so keep it as you wish
btw, rather mean to slam the women who msg you. Tighten your restrictions then, or include " no overweigh women" in your profile.
 You go first
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/4/2014 9:46:27 AM
There's really no reason at all to have ANY email restrictions, unless you are truly flooded with incoming messages. Are you? If not, you can easily decide on your response on a case-by-case basis.

Women often use minimal profiles because they can. They have boobs which means by that very fact alone men will contact them. Someone I know who used this site used to send messages to skimpy profiles like this:

"I see you are a woman of few words. Either that, or you are hoping to date a psychic. As I am not, perhaps you could let me know what you are looking for here?"

He didn't really expect replies and got blocked more often than not, but the ones that had a great sense of humour usually responded.
 NA73
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2014 6:52:07 AM
Anyways folks, I've made a few more changes and uploaded a couple more pictures. I hope I'm at least moving in the right direction.
 NA73
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2014 10:42:28 AM
Thanks Campfires
I've implemented several of your suggestions, though I have left the cyber Courtship reference in, if for no reason other than I like the expression. But I have done away with the negatives.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I Require a review of my profile