Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > My profile, v. 2.0      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quevillon
Msg: 1
My profile, v. 2.0Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was here before, this time here with quite a modified profile. It is supose to be more open, my main pic is made just for the profile (vs. others who are just picture of who I am). I know it is far from perfect and that not all of the world will find it good.
 Smthn_Like_Olivia
Msg: 2
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 6:14:40 PM
I gotta say...I'm not crazy about the main. It doesn't look natural at all. You have a nice, warm smile, you should use it. I think you look much nicer in the close-up, smiling, windblown pic in Monti something or other. The summary is okay, but not much to get stoked about. It does paint a semi-picture of your personality, but it lacks some spunk.

Why all the mail restrictions? Is your inbox overflowing? Really not necessary for men on this site. You'd have better luck if you just manually sifted through responses instead of accidentally blocking someone with potential.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 3
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 6:40:49 PM
Yeah, don't like main photo, it looks too forced and serious, something about the way your arm is positioned makes it looks defensive. I can't decided if you look like you are about to start a bar fight or do someones taxes, neither are a good look for a dating profile. The head shot you have in your profile is a much nicer picture and should be your main. Its natural and shows your fun adventurous personality.

As for the text, what you say is more or less fine. The writing style is a little difficult to follow, the comments in brackets make cut the flow of the sentence so you have to re read it a few times to get what you are saying. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. You want to make everything you say as clear and easy to understand a possible, so everyone can clearly see what a great guy you are.

I don't see the point of the mail preferences, women hardly every message men out of the blue it is almost always the man who needs to make the first move. In the rare event that a women would want to message you out of the blue would it really be a deal breaker if she live 76 miles away, or was a hot 46yo?
 Quevillon
Msg: 4
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 6:45:09 PM
Mail restiction? I should check that out.

I'm not crazy about the main pic my self, but ther lighting is not that good where I live. And it's hinter so outdoors pics with me and a "tuque" is not a good ideal.
 Quevillon
Msg: 5
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 7:40:06 PM
I modified it (v. 2.1). A bit more about me and shorter on what I'm looking for. And less mail restrictions also.
 ouija2013
Msg: 6
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 7:47:50 PM
The Header
Don't, not dont
You really need to bring your A game.
 Quevillon
Msg: 7
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 8:21:57 PM
What would be an "A" game for a profile?
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 8
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 8:44:44 PM

What would be an "A" game for a profile?

A profile that hits all the major points such as: a rough idea of your personality, what you're doing with your life, passions and interests, maybe some actual opinion or strongly held beliefs, humor that isn't too try hard, explanation about who you seek, clear romantic intentions, photos that generally don't suck and a First Date section that is unique or at least lets them know what your expectations are.

Actually, you'll need to bring your A through Z game when you actually get some progress going with someone. Holding back or being really conservative only acts as a crutch. It's really not rocket surgery (which is harder than rocket science). As long as you hit the major points, you eliminate just about all the initial mistakes tons of guys make which is...not hitting the major points.
 Quevillon
Msg: 9
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 8:54:45 PM
Ok, but I fear that it might take too long to read.
 tatersprout
Msg: 10
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 9:24:04 PM
Hi Alain,
Grammar mistakes are distracting--spelling, punctuation, sentence structure...you have it all.

I'm smart enough
For what?

I'm pretty open to several ideas, but I do not like to be push
What does this mean?

I have a non-religious left side ideology that believes in the equality of everyone.
Doesn't make sense.

Just looks like you are trying hard to seem smart.
"Physics" is the study of matter and its motion, energy, and force.
If you don't discriminate, then don't mention it.
Leave out the dating mother/daughter line.
Remove all mail restrictions until you get so many you can't read them all.
You already said you don't want children in drop down box--no need to repeat that.
You drink >3x/wk? sounds like a problem unless you explain.
Longest relationship is a year...red flag for many at age 42.
What are equality values?
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 11
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 9:33:50 PM

Ok, but I fear that it might take too long to read.

It doesn't have to be a long profile to cover that. However, a longer profile always allows you to show more of what your personality is like. A 500 - 600 word profile or a profile as long as mine (800+) is not overly long or demanding of a reader. The average reading speed is roughly 300 words per minute. So if they can't spare 90 seconds to 2 minutes to read then that's really their problem, not yours.

You don't have to break it down like that. But I'm just telling you not to worry about it.
 Quevillon
Msg: 12
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/8/2014 10:17:57 PM
I hope it's good and not to long!
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 13
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 1:46:34 AM
The thing about a long profile, you have to keep the reader hooked and interested all the time, to keep them reading. And when they see it the first thing they will think is "oh god a long profile" so you have to grab their attention immediately.

Unfortunately... you don't really do either of these...

Drinking 3+ times a week will put many off, do you do your drinking alone? If not then change to socially.
You skipped the interests box. Fill this is, make them one or two-word interests that you can enjoy with a woman.
Remove the "Hello"... just waste of space.
First paragraph doesn't really say anything, it's just waffle and applies to every single person on here.
Second paragraph, I don't think saying you're strange is a good tactic. This seems to just be a collection of random things with no coherent theme, it's quite hard to read and take in.
Third paragraph is OK but take out the f*ing.
Music... nothing commercial then you mention Foo Fighters, Green Day, etc? Aren't they commercial?
"Don't laugh" at curling, no don't say this. Make it more fun and interesting. Don't self-deprecate.
Last paragraph, take out the first 5 sentences; start from "I'm attracted...". Take out the stuff about kids at the end - you already have "no" for "do you want children", and the last bit is pointless to say.

Get rid of all your mail filters, they are totally pointless for any guy on here.
 Smthn_Like_Olivia
Msg: 14
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 4:51:38 AM
Regarding age, you have this:

What I want? For age, it's simple she should not be young enough to be my daughter and old enough to be my mother (she is 21 years older than me).

And then in your mail filters, your age range is limited from 27 - 45. So up to 15 yrs younger, but only 3 years older. Kinda contradicts what you have written above. Could you really relate more to a 27 yr old than say a 46 yr old?

You have a lot of errors from the very first sentence it makes it kinda hard to read. The 2nd paragraph is a discombobulated mess. You're all over the place and little of it makes sense or has any relation. Try reading this aloud to yourself as its written. A lot can be cleaned up and taken out.
 Quevillon
Msg: 15
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 7:19:17 AM
Great, I'll never get it right!
 Quevillon
Msg: 16
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 7:45:40 AM
This is the final version, I can not do any better than this, or I would be making things up.

Get rid of all my mail filters, really? So I should accept someone taking drugs, smoke, is married and it will take me over an hour to go see her (distance). That would be lying no?
 Indira46
Msg: 17
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 1:33:12 PM
Your mail restrictions make you look high maintenance. Keep married/drugs/IE and delete the rest. Your age restrictions will turn off women close to your age. It's not realistic for you to be pursuing someone in their 20s.

Your first paragraph makes no sense. You are missing letters. You have commas where you should have periods. You mention being "smart". Don't say it. Show it with a well written profile.

Remove the last part about being ok with your gal being "smarter" than you. It just makes you sound....not so smart.
 Quevillon
Msg: 18
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 2:59:06 PM
So the two others are someone who smoke and someone who sent messages to other members or intimate sexual encounters. In the case of the smoker, my first 25 years of my life was with a smoking my father, I do not want to go back to that! For the onther one, would you feel comfortable dating someone who is also having sex with an other (or looking for that)? Not me!

As for age, I'll as low as 30 and as high as 50 and even the highist, I had some hesitation!
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 19
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 3:14:30 PM
Why are you so scared to remove the restrictions? What do you think will happen? Do you think smokers are queueing up, waiting to message you as soon as you remove that filter?

Remove ALL the filters including the age one. If you get snowed under with messages from inappropriate women, THEN put them back up. I very much doubt you will, though.

Or don't. You don't seem particularly open to following the advice from experienced, successful members here.
 tatersprout
Msg: 20
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 3:19:48 PM
It's your profile--do what you want.
Mail restrictions are not useful for men. The restrictions are for blocking who you don't want to contact you.
You don't want a smoker? It's in the profile questions when you read her profile .

To be honest, your profile and your messages here reek of immaturity.
People here are trying to help you fix things and you either ignore advice or throw up your hands.
Nobody here has suggested that you should make things up.
Why are you asking for help or comments if you think your profile is the best it can be? I'm confused.

If it's the best you can do, start sending out those messages. I suggest you come back when nobody replies and you really want help.
 tennistown
Msg: 21
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 3:30:11 PM
Que,
You kind of look like Richard Dreyfuss in your main.

I stopped reading your profile, after the first line (shown below.)

I'm searches for a serious relationship with a woman who wants one, not one who needs it pne.

I'm not the grammar police. However it just looks kinda lazily written. (You have had time to review yourself?)

This is the final version, I can not do any better than this.

Looking for a serious relationship with a non-serious profile?

You should change that, if you're looking for a real Close Encounter.
 Quevillon
Msg: 22
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 4:48:03 PM
I corrected what I could find, if there is something else, be kind and let me know.

All the filters are out, I just hope I do not look desperate showing I'm open to all!
 Indira46
Msg: 23
view profile
History
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 4:50:25 PM
Delete the first paragraph.

Slowly read your profile out loud to yourself to catch your errors.
 Quevillon
Msg: 24
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 4:58:43 PM
What are my errors?
 ouija2013
Msg: 25
My profile, v. 2.0
Posted: 1/9/2014 4:59:39 PM
You are spelling a lot of things wrong, it is because of French being your first language.. however many women will read it as you not knowing how to write /speak properly. Do you have someone who can do the proof reading and corrections for you?
On POF Men far outnumber the women, so the restrictions are useless.
Besides, maybe she is a smoker planning to quit.
But the age limits, those are off putting.
And to be blunt, you are shorter - therefore you really need to have an excellent profile, even petite women seem to want TALL men * shrug"
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > My profile, v. 2.0