Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Measure Inflammation in your body?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 1
Measure Inflammation in your body?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I read about the importance of an anti-inflammatory diet, and about inflammation causing CVD Cardiovascular disease.

I know one can measure their CRP (C-reactive protein) as a measure of inflammation, is this the best way to measure inflammation, and is it the only way?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 2
Measure Inflammation in your body?
Posted: 2/6/2014 11:32:17 AM
Freshly grated ginger is a known anti-inflammatory agent that is 100% natural.
While seeking ways to measure inflammation, definitely embrace ways to reduce it.
Posted: 2/6/2014 12:46:47 PM
I've been preaching this forever and lately on the forums ( since 3/13 I am sure of since it was so easy to pull up)
If you read almost any thread on heart health/cholesterol/disease, I'm def in there singing about it..( inflammation)

We had quite a discussion in the cholesterol suggestions thread a page over.

Eat an anti inflammatory diet.
Veggies, nuts and other good fats/omega 3's
Fresh pineapple in moderation, and papaya are good.
You can also take MSM/eat sulfur rich foods

No sugar/Grains, less meat and dairy

Eric is right that ginger root is a fab way to reduce inflammation along with vegetables, some fruits, many spices and good fats.
Ginger is my absolute favorite.
Tart cherries and pineapple second. ( watch the natural sugar and limit those ) so no juice.
Seaweeds and alkaline forming greens also.

Inflammation is the root of disease, esp heart and cancers.

My CRP level as of last month is .04. I check it every year.
Its a very good indicator.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), is a blood test that can reveal inflammatory activity in your body also.

Your Dr will be glad to do the test. Ask for it.

As for anti-inflammatory diet...some of it is based on science. Most of it is based on extrapolating it into something they can sell you as the latest diet fad. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, less saturated fats and alcohol, avoid trans-fats altogether

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Making progress S

Thank you for at least admitting now "some is based on science", as we had a bit of a debate about this before and you called it "anti inflammatory diet business " as if I made it up out of the "sky"the last time I posted on it.( pardon the pun):0

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/12383317datingPostpage9.aspx

DragonBits
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/6/2014 3:19:31 PM

This is exactly what I mean by misinterpretation. As every high school student knows, correlation doesn't imply causation, which presumably you mean by calling it 'the root of disease'. Cancer results in high CRP levels...who knew? What happens with high cell turnover and necrosis? Think about it.

So do you believe that reducing your CRP levels will result in lower CVD?

Not discussing how one lowers the level, just if you do lower, it is that a good thing or IYO doesn't it matter?
Posted: 2/7/2014 3:25:43 AM
CRP levels are an indicator of inflammation in the body. If its high, change your foods, if that doesnt help you need more tests.
If it s low it doesn't mean you have nothing wrong with you.

There are many tests for heart issues. What exactly are you concerned with?

>But ginger? Pineapple? Papaya? Show us the evidence.<
Ive researched the evidence ( not on google), I have seen it work. I have posted on it in the past.
You are the one that has questions about it and if you really were interested would research it yourself.

For those that want a cliff note version.

The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger have been known and valued for centuries. During the past 25 years, many laboratories have provided scientific support for the long-held belief that ginger contains constituents with antiinflammatory properties. The original discovery of ginger's inhibitory effects on prostaglandin biosynthesis in the early 1970s has been repeatedly confirmed. This discovery identified ginger as an herbal medicinal product that shares pharmacological properties with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Ginger suppresses prostaglandin synthesis through inhibition of cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2. An important extension of this early work was the observation that ginger also suppresses leukotriene biosynthesis by inhibiting 5-lipoxygenase. This pharmacological property distinguishes ginger from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This discovery preceded the observation that dual inhibitors of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase may have a better therapeutic profile and have fewer side effects than non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The characterization of the pharmacological properties of ginger entered a new phase with the discovery that a ginger extract (EV.EXT.77) derived from Zingiber officinale (family Zingiberaceae) and Alpina galanga (family Zingiberaceae) inhibits the induction of several genes involved in the inflammatory response. These include genes encoding cytokines, chemokines, and the inducible enzyme cyclooxygenase-2. This discovery provided the first evidence that ginger modulates biochemical pathways activated in chronic inflammation. Identification of the molecular targets of individual ginger constituents provides an opportunity to optimize and standardize ginger products with respect to their effects on specific biomarkers of inflammation.

New research in the Journal of Pain reports that ginger is an effective natural anti-inflammatory that helps reduce pain and inflammation. Both raw ginger and heated ginger were used in the study with similar effectiveness. The scientists specifically explored ginger's effects on muscle pain.

Ginger has been used medicinally for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine in India as a natural anti-inflammatory food. Dr. Krishna C. Srivastava, a world-renowned research on the therapeutic effects of spices, at Odense University in Denmark has also conducted extensive research into the anti-pain effects of ginger. In one study, Dr. Srivastava gave arthritic patients small amounts of ginger daily for three months. The majority of people had significant improvements in pain, swelling, and morning stiffness by eating ginger daily.

Dr. Srivastava also found that ginger was superior to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Tylenol or Advil because NSAIDs only work on one level: to block the formation of inflammatory compounds. Ginger, on the other hand, blocks the formation of the inflammatory compounds-prostaglandins and leukotrienes-and also has antioxidant effects that break down existing inflammation and acidity in the fluid within the joints.

Some may find this interesting.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265990.php

Cherries ( again old news made new again) Grannys fav pain reliever with ginger and rum
http://www.realnatural.org/cherries-prove-to-be-anti-inflammatory/
Cherries and pain
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/06/02/researchers-tart-cherries-have-highest-anti-inflammatory-content-of-any-food/

Pineapple and papaya (fresh )have anti inflammatory and pain relieving enzymes..
http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21671
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/bromelain

All are alkalizing forming.

DragonBits
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/7/2014 8:45:24 AM

There are many tests for heart issues. What exactly are you concerned with?

I was concerned with monitoring any thickening and hardening of the arteries. I don't think I am in any particular danger, but who knows. The effort to do an hour of cardio at a heart rate of 130-145 is greater now than it was a year ago. The past 2 weeks I get more tired afterwards when in the past I didn't. Sometimes I am tired for 5-6 hours afterward.

But I keep doing it now to get over the hump, yesterday I felt pretty good after an hour at 138 heart rate on a cross trainer, then 15 minutes on a treadmill running part time up a 2.0 degree slope where my heart spiked to 152. At 61, my heart rate shouldn't go past 159 or so.

The last 9 months, I have gained about 18 lbs, and my blood pressure went up to 150/90 but it was as low at 100/60 before I gained weight again. My TRG was 214, and LDL was 98, HLD was 36.

In the recent past I have seen TRG was 78, HDL 54 LDL 124. Just depends on my diet, the last 6 months I have eaten a lot of candy and cookies and not exercised as often. My wife wanted to try these American treats, they aren't readily available in Thailand, most chocolate will melt and has to be kept in a refrigerator.

No doubt chocolate covered cherries and cream cookies were the main culprit in spiking my numbers. I have a hard time not eating them if they are in the house, even worse if they are in plain site, you get a temporary boost of energy / mood.

The stress and anxiety of trading can make my blood pressure spike, I have seen it go as high as 200/100 Trading options is stressful, like today I could have lost 3,300 or made 18,000 profit. That is the move that occurred today in the space of 20 minutes. Meaning at one time I was down 3.300, I sold at a profit on only $600, but if I waited another 18 minutes I would have been up $18,000. Now 45 minutes later I would have been down $700 so the potion lost the entire profit of $18,000 in 45 minutes. In the time it took to post this, a whole lifetime has occurred in this market. Who knows now for sure, I could see this position expiring worthless in the next 5 hours which would mean a loss of $13,000, very hard to tell how the market will move in the next 4 hours. But I think the position will be a loss at the end of the day, just not a total loss, assuming I held it.

Long story, but not many people realize how much money can be lost or gained in the space of 20 minities, thus the stress watching this real time. It does make losing one's internet connection a terrifiing event. Which is why I work out with cardio, my theory is it gets rid of some of the cortisol and epinephrine.

It's a very weird time warp feeling when trading, 15 minutes feels like an hour. While posting on this forum, an hour could go by and it would feel like 15 minutes.

I always look for ways to control my stress and anxiety, not to mention my health.
Posted: 2/8/2014 4:50:57 AM

I was concerned with monitoring any thickening and hardening of the arteries. I don't think I am in any particular danger, but who knows. The effort to do an hour of cardio at a heart rate of 130-145 is greater now than it was a year ago. The past 2 weeks I get more tired afterwards when in the past I didn't. Sometimes I am tired for 5-6 hours afterward.

^^^^^^^^^

Being "more tired" would concern me a lot. Blood pressure being high would concern me.
Shortness of breath?
You need to be evaluated to check for blockages.
Talk to your DR. and get tests.

The hs-CRP tells you nothing about whether you have atheroslerosis or imminent heart attacks. For that you either need an exercise stress test, a myocardial perfusion scan, or a CT coronary angiogram

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree

The hs-CRP is nothing but a number. Does ginger reduce the risk of heart attacks? NSAIDs certainly don't (they increase the risk).

If he has a blockage that needs to be addressed ginger isn't "fixing that".
I never said it would.
He left out why he is concerned.He asked about CRP and inflammation, not he thinks he"may have" heart disease in the form of blockages.

If you have a a benign a fib for example with no blockage. Ginger can be useful in keeping the blood thinner which is a good thing.Ginger can be used instead of aspirin in cases where the want your blood thinner along with omega 3''s and other natural blood thinning things such as garlic.
All this needs to be discussed with a doctor w a possible at risk patient.

If he is on any medications (to thin blood for exp.) he should NOT eat ginger.
Ginger may interact with prescription and nonprescription medications. If you take any of the following medications, you should not use ginger without first talking to your health care provider.
Blood-thinning medications - Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding. Talk to your doctor before taking ginger if you take blood-thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), or aspirin.
Diabetes medications Ginger may lower blood sugar. That can raise the risk of developing hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.
High blood pressure medications Ginger may lower blood pressure, raising the risk of low blood pressure or irregular heartbeat.
University of Maryland Medical Center

A more specific, detailed OP about his concerns would have been helpful.

extrapolating science to sell the latest diet fad.

Vegetables, fruits and spices being good for you are Fads?
Some Fad, been around for thousands of years.
Posted: 2/8/2014 12:41:37 PM

If you read anything I've ever written, it's always been about eating plenty of fruit and vegetables. That's one of the few things that has been shown to decrease risk of various cancers as well as cardiovascular disease.

But narrowing it down to specific foods, or prescribing some sort of 'anti-inflammatory' diet, is really pushing it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But there are specific foods that help specific issues as well as foods that do specific harm.
IF certain *foods* can harm you,cause disease, then certain *foods* can help heal you or prevent disease.
You can't reasonably argue that specific foods do not cause harm/disease.

MUSC is studying garlic and brain tumors/ cancer. How you can't find that absolutely fascinating , I don't know.

Researcher Arabinda Das, Ph.D., said it was exciting to land the cover of the August issue of the Journal of Neuro-Oncology with the first direct evidence that the compound DATS, found in garlic, is effective in blocking pathways of the proliferation of cancer cells and ultimately may help reduce tumor growth in patients with glioblastoma, the most lethal brain tumor.
Posted: 2/9/2014 2:17:02 AM

Finding a compound in garlic is one thing, but how much garlic do you have to eat to reduce your chances of getting GBM?

When they isolate the compound and finish the studies, I am sure the drug companies will try to alter it or add to it, then patent it and we will NOT be told to just EAT GARLIC.
That would be to easy, it also may not work that way.
Hopefully, however it is to be used, it will work.

Why do you ask things you already know?
 DragonBits
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/10/2014 5:56:01 AM

Being "more tired" would concern me a lot. Blood pressure being high would concern me.
Shortness of breath?
You need to be evaluated to check for blockages.
Talk to your DR. and get tests.

No shortness of breath, except of course with max effort at cardio. During the day or shoveling snow, no shortness of breath.

IMO if I were to go to a doctor right, they would put me on blood pressure lowing meds as standard practice and never want to take me off

I doubt I have any blockages, I have a good feeling for how those manifest themselves. I would be interested in an ultrasound doppler test for blood flow or something similar, but only if I could get it very cheaply as it would be out of curiosity.

It could be I have mild atherosclerosis, hard to say.

Right now I am operating under the assumption if I lose 16 pounds or more, my blood pressure will return to what it was 9 months ago. If I lose the weight and I still have higher blood pressure I will be more concerned and see a doctor for that. Maybe I could limit my caffeine and salt intake, I have never tried to limit them. Except now days I don't drink coffee after 1:00 PM, it likely disturbs my sleep, but often I drink too much coffee and like salty popcorn, no doubt I am over recommended intakes of salt also. Don't eat processed foods very often, but I add my own salt such as the popcorn.

I am going to see a doctor sometime soon in any case for an unrelated matter, so they will check my BP , but I would rather go after 4 months, assuming if I can get my weight back down my BP will be better. But within 6 months or so I am going to see a doctor for that unrelated matter, it's been a long time since I had a general phyisical, I usually target and schedule myself without using a doctor any tests that I use to keep track of health. But there is a limit to how much of this on can do without a doctor.
 satx78218
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2014 10:26:45 AM
google "inflammatory biomarkers"

lots of them

low-grade, chronic inflammation and stress are pathogenic, deadly, sooner or later.
 satx78218
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2014 10:29:58 AM
My guess is that low-grand, chronic, systemic inflammation damages the vascular system, with the body laying down calciun and cholesterol as a response, causing narrowing of the arteries. Elevated blood pressure further damages the vascular system, resulting in more narrowing, leading to blood clots and strokes.
 DragonBits
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/11/2014 12:40:24 PM

My guess is that low-grand, chronic, systemic inflammation damages the vascular system, with the body laying down calciun and cholesterol as a response, causing narrowing of the arteries. Elevated blood pressure further damages the vascular system, resulting in more narrowing, leading to blood clots and strokes.

It's very difficult to determine weather low grade systemic inflammation CAUSES a problem, or is an INDICATION of problem. Or another question, do you have low grade systemic inflammation or just a higher than normal CRP test result?

People who have a genetic varation that causes higher than normal levels of C-reactive protein, but they have normal levels of coronary heart disease.

So it CRP a marker for inflammation and heart disease or does it actually cause a problem? CRP is what most people monitor for inflammation.

The other tests I have read about are for inflamantion are seldom done without any other indication of a problem, and are much more expensive.

I would think monitoring CRP for a decades in a person will give a better indication of a problem that is occuring.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/11/2014 3:41:04 PM

Perhaps it's time to take up a different line of work? Or give up trading in favour of passive investing :)

Well said skyr……..as some can change their lifestyles for better health,etc, and some will continue & repeat down that same road…..as good health is more then just talking various alternative pills to correct past bad & continuing stressful lifestyles.

And assuming he has & can afford the proper professional health care providers, for help in these matters. Or maybe make 'the change " imo,if that is all it takes………jmo
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 3:20:20 AM

There is a big conceptual leap from what you cut and pasted, and evidence that eating garlic prevents GBM

I didn't say eating it would.YOU brought up eating it in regards to brain tumors..
I said the opposite

we will NOT be told to just EAT GARLIC.

Just as we were never told to eat moldy bread for penicillin, most compounds found occurring naturally will almost always have another way of being utilized for the benefit.

MUSC is studying garlic and brain tumors/ cancer. How you can't find that absolutely fascinating , I don't know.

Researcher Arabinda Das, Ph.D., said it was exciting to land the cover of the August issue of the Journal of Neuro-Oncology with the first direct evidence that the compound DATS, found in garlic, is effective in blocking pathways of the proliferation of cancer cells and ultimately may help reduce tumor growth in patients with glioblastoma, the most lethal brain tumor.

^^^^^^^The word eat , nor me saying eating it would do anything regarding a brain tumor.

But if concerned with vascular health..I would be eating it for that .

Back on the topic again, sugar and insulin spiking foods, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour,pasta,grains and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods and lack of omega 3's and veggies and fruits cause inflammation.
Inflammation causes disease, esp heart disease and cancers.

High triglyceride levels NOT LDL, is linked to increased inflammation and resulting heart disease, as well as increased risk of diabetes and low HDL cholesterol. What causes high triglycerides? A diet high in sugars and carbohydrates.

Grain consumption (especially wheat) has also risen steadily during this time period, and grains are in an entirely different form of "food" than they were many years ago.

An anti inflammatory diet is a good start to decrease heart disease risk.
I think we can agree veggies, fruits and omega 3's will help everyone regarding disease and health/ If we don't thats OK too.
 activemelaney
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 1:38:20 PM
Don't worry about it. If you are having any issues ask for a stress test.

Forget any diet advice except to eat fruits, veggies and less animal fats...And EXERCISE. Nobody has the knowledge to isolate and do any macro study on the specific fruits and veggies. Don't fall for the 'the Chinese have eaten this for 3 thousand years'...they also ate rhino horn. All non scientific gobbledygook. (Besides, we live longer).

Some individuals react to specific foods but that is an auto immune issue and can't be generalized.
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 7:56:37 PM
EXERCISE!!! Eat veggies and fruit and eat fish and less animal fat and do not smoke. Chinese women have a problem with getting breast cancer because of soy like tofu etc. Drink green tea it is good for your body. There is a ginger tea.
 DragonBits
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:00:44 AM
When one needs to use oil for cooking, is it better to use canola oil (rapeseed oil)? And reasons I shouldn't use canola oil?

I had been using corn oil, but I wanted to better balance all the omegas, so I was thinking of switching to canola oil.
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:04:44 AM
Extra virgin olive oil is good for you. You should have some oil in your diet.
 DragonBits
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/13/2014 11:18:31 AM
Well, they say olive is good for you, though it does have a lot of omega 6 fatty acids. If you are looking at only Omega 3 / Omega 6 ratio, the canola oil is much better. Most western diets have too little Omega 3 and too much Omega 6, though you do need both.

Give that, I am not really sure why olive oil is better for you than canola oil, but I wasn't questioning the common wisdom that olive oil is good for you. But since you bring it up.

I was going to use canola oil for cooking, and olive oil for toppings like salad. Olive oil has a lower smoke point at 380 F Vs 400 for canola oil, canola oil has a more neutral taste and it's cheaper.

Canola oil ratio Omegas 3.45 : 1

Olive oil ratio of Omegas 1: 10

Corn oil ration of Omegas 1: 58

Monounsaturated Vs saturated fats are higher in Canola oil Vs olive oil, but really close to the same thing, while total polyunsaturated fatty acids are twice as high in Canola oil, because I guess it's so high in Omega 3 fatty acids.

Why then is olive oil Vs canola oil better for your health?
 activemelaney
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 2:44:28 PM
Hard to know about oils beyond their basic chemistry.

I use canola oil for just about everything. It's the least expensive where I live but even if it wasn't, would still use it. I use olive oil sparingly as in a tabouli salad and a few other dishes. I never cook with anything but canola.

Some ethnic foods are promoted but I think the benefit is more from the veggies, grains etc. than the oil. There are also huge marketing groups getting their message out about how 'a' is better than 'b'. I turn the ears off when I hear about olive oil, wine, some veggie milk, chocolate, coffee, ....having some special benefit. Usually non scientific mumbo jumbo lapped up by media trying to fill space.

Back to oil...since it is basically 'fat'...I use less over the years.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 2:53:05 PM
Not to much canola, sunflower or corn oil if concerned with inflammation.

You destroy the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil if you heat it.
You can lightly saute with olive oil.

For cooking I use coconut or organic butter on occasion.
Some like avocado oil and it taste about the same as olive oil and it wont be ruined by heating like olive oil.

Dressings, drizzling and such, use walnut, flax, and extra virgin olive oils.

You can check for different heats that the different oils can take, but you dont need to much ( omega 6's) if wanting to lower inflammation.

While you need omega 6 oils, you don't need a lot. If you eat anything from a cracker, chip to a bottled dressing, mayo or eat a seed like sunflower seeds, you are getting enough in your diet already.
If you eat ANYTHING served in a restaurant, it will more likely than not be cooked with an omega 6 oil/veg oil.

SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 4:22:16 PM
Extra olive oil is better for the inflammation. I see top chefs using extra virgin olive oil in cooking. Extra olive oil is very healthy for you.
 DragonBits
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/13/2014 4:49:31 PM

Not to much canola, sunflower or corn oil if concerned with inflammation.

Then I am confused then about what are anti-inflammatory foods? And what in a food causes it to be inflammatory?

This website gives says that canola oil is anti-inflammatory, more so than olive oil. Maybe they have incorrect information?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/621/2

I guess I would ask, what in a food causes it to be inflammatory or anti-inflammatory? Is there a site that lists the degree of inflammation different foods cause?

Is corn oil better than olive oil at controling cholesterol? Is controlling LDL even important?

If you google this, “Corn Oil better than Than Extra Virgin Olive Oil at lowering Cholesterol”, you will see many recent reports that have claimed this. The study was done by American Society for Nutrition's Advances & Controversies lead researcher, Dr. Kevin C Maki, PhD.

He suggested this was because of the natural cholesterol-blocking ability of plant sterols.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-finds-corn-oil-superior-to-extra-virgin-olive-oil-in-lowering-cholesterol-234747381.html

Not sure how various cooking oils maybe related to triglycerides, but higher triglycerides seem to caused by eating too many calories, and stuff like simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and foods made with white flour. And being overweight.

It gets very confusing and conflicting when you get into the details of all this.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2014 2:37:57 AM
Drs and nutritionist cant seem to agree what a lot of things are.

The only way to measure inflammation is with an inflammatory marker, and the only one used as a verified cardiovascular marker is the hs-CRP. And that must be done whilst there is no obvious cause for an inflammatory response (eg a viral infection).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Get the blood test.

Canola as a healthy oil is just marketing imo.Its GMO
Read this
http://www.draxe.com/canola-oil-gm/

Remember margarine touted as better than butter? Veg source.

You can find anything on the web that states almost anything.
People disagree. I know what changes I made and all my blood results for years.
It was time consuming. Take advantage of some of my time and money if you like.

As of last blood work Jan 2014 (using a shot glass of coconut oil , EVOO min every day) , lots of organic whole eggs and organic chicken 2-3 times a week, lots of nuts ( esp walnuts) avocados/veggies, high water/fiber fruits and low red meat consumption.

My HDL is 102, My CRP is now .03 and trig 45 and I even have a weekend burger/ key lime pie/Fritoes.
Week days I am very strict.

The Canola oil is heated to over 300 degrees as part of a process to remove its extremely unpleasant odor. Processing vegetable oils may include many things like bleaching, deodorization, chemical extraction methods using solvents, and high temperature expeller pressing.

Canola oil is monounsaturated, which makes it easy to promote it as similar to olive oil but cheaper. But real olive oil is not processed and doesn't contain TOXIC TRANS FATTY ACIDS or GMOs. Canola is among the lowest of all oils with essential fatty acids.

The BEST thing to do. Get blood work now as said, know your CRP
Whats your HDL and ratio of HDL/LDL
Review it. It not happy, make changes.
Note what you are changing, return for more blood work in 2/3 months.
See whats changing/not changing for the better (for you).
Get off bread, grains and sugar( except for on occasion).

Eat avocados, eat walnuts,chia seeds,spinach,cauliflower, hummus, use the oils I suggested .............get cold pressed oils.
Take krill or a good respected brand of wild salmon oil as a supplement.I like N-rdic naturals, most wild salmon oil is good if you dont have diabetes. They make vegetarian DHA oils also.

I fry eggs in coconut oil and add to coffee or add evoo to soft boiled ones. Eggs have to be organic, dont read into hype it has added omega 3's. They dont need to add them.

I have fried/cooked in peanut oil, but since I eat peanut butter, I don't buy it anymore.

You cant take every thing touted as good for you as gospel or good for YOU.
You have to try things and get blood work to know whats working and not working.

Vegetables that are "usually" not root veggies/night shades are anti inflammatory.
Fruits.
Ginger Ginger Ginger
Tumeric ( unless you have gallbladder issues)
Green foods and esp seaweeds ( you can buy flakes and add to almost anything)
Go organic when you can
Fatty fish is great.( not farmed) Have some sardines
Herbs and spices
Omega 3's
Fiber

No grains or products made from them as a general rule.
No sugar.
No fruit juice unless highly diluted. I suggest cherry

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Measure Inflammation in your body?