Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What's wrong with my page?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 disneytech951
Msg: 1
What's wrong with my page?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I thought I had my profile down to a T, but I think it's all wrong. Over 40 people I've written viewed my page after I messaged them, and haven't bothered to write back at all. What is wrong? Can somebody help please? Thanks.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 2
What's wrong with my page?
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:03:06 PM
If you are reviewing a profile, comments like: loose weight, get an education, move out, etc., are considered off topic because it is not addressing the profile content, it is instead addressing the users lifestyle, etc.
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts1947679.aspx
 disneytech951
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:04:21 PM
I don't need comments like yours. I am asking for how to improve my profile, because maybe im saying too much, or saying too little, or I am putting my profile the wrong way. I don't need insensitive comments like yours. I know I have a slight weight problem, but it's not like im a jumbo jet or anything so unless you have suggestions on how to improve my profile, please stay off this thread and don't say anything.

Agreed. The rude comments were deleted and the user dealt with.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS||
Complaint Department HERE
 ouija2013
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:11:20 PM
Hey Dillion :/
Just let it go, k?
Alrighty.. let's start shall we?
Interests.. make sure they are " real" interests. For example you have Star Wars.. therefore I expect you to know oodles about SW
You have a sweet and engaging face - great smile.
Text
Says about Dillion, then it repeats. No need to have an echo Doll
Room for 8 photos, use up that real estate
Don't have to say when you have a B day .. stated in the beginning of your profile
So.. use the profile to paint me a picture of who you are - like a good novel you want to engage women, make them interested.
You only have a weigh problem if you let it be a problem. Lots of women prefer a bigger guy
Remove the " msg me" we know the drill. n these waters men have to do the majority of first contacts. Tres 50s but
I like you said you don't mind if she has children, I think you are a stand up Man.
I also expect you to take what is helpful and discard what is hurtful.. we here can make your profile stronger :/ Keep the faith
 disneytech951
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:20:07 PM
Thank You for the input. I've made a few of those changes, and I will be making more soon, then posting again for more feedback to make sure I've got a good strong profile going.
 ouija2013
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:24:27 PM
Of course you will. I expect nothing less. Then, then once the profile is a bit more solid we work on some killah msgs.
 disneytech951
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:25:49 PM
I think that is another issue I am having problems with. I am never exactly sure exactly how to write messages to them either.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:28:58 PM

Just a note from me.
First, I deleted the offensive comment. Secondly I "actioned" it.
Sorry you had to deal with someone's ignorance.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS||
Complaint Department HERE
 ouija2013
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/22/2014 4:43:46 PM
ok, well let's get the profile a bit better
then we'll work on msgs.
I might be Ancient but
I can share and care the ways :/
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/22/2014 6:17:01 PM
I see two things, and maybe I'm an offender too, but here goes:
It is helpful to have a variety of photos of yourself in different outfits, different surroundings. You have 3 headshots, and none are bright and smiling, which is what women like to see, and respond best to.
Next, if a woman is shopping for a new boyfriend and she sees a guy going to school fulltime, and also works 2 jobs, how much time does that leave for "her"? Maybe some women would be content to see her man once a week, I think most want more, so the issue of free time becomes relevant.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/22/2014 7:29:01 PM
Here's a few hints RE: initial msgs to women.

Don't ask the woman out for a meet/her phone number immediately. It's coming off as a tad desperate and it's creepy.
Ask her one or two questions based on her profile. Do not bombard her.
Don't rattle on and on about yourself.
Keep it light.
Add a touch of humour.
Don't comment on her physical attributes.
Don't ask/beg her to reply/check you out.They know what to do if interested and do not require prompting.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/22/2014 8:31:59 PM
You have 8 seconds to make a good impression. Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and attractive. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cell phone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling.

Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Ask a friend to take 24 pictures of you outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8. Caption and date each photo-giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/7/2014 4:29:27 PM
You still need good pics. your main one is dark, the other ones you look like you are wearing a t-shirt and sweats - super bad idea. the one pic you are wearing a nice shirt and we can see your face you look mad/mean.

HALF of your profile is talking about negative things - what you don't want and who you don't want messaging you. That just doesn't work. take it out. You don't need to reinterate the divorce part - that should be in your demographic info. Why bring it up like it is a bad thing. half of the people around are divorced, the way you phrase it you are ashamed. Coming off as ashamed of yourself in your profile isn't going to help you get dates.
 disneytech951
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/8/2014 3:43:41 PM
Alright lets try this again. I made those changes, and besides the picture (I am working on those) issue what else could possibly be wrong?
 Indira46
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2014 4:41:39 PM
Delete the last paragraph. Replace it with a description of the woman you are seeking. Don't be generic. Use words that have an opposite meaning that isn't negative. Nice, honest, fun do not count. Who would describe themselves as mean, boring, and a liar?

New photos stat. Without better photos, everything else is pointless. You've had this same photo for a while. No excuses, have someone, anyone, snap some new ones.
 firefly416
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2014 4:54:41 PM
I wish the lighting was better in the red shirt and tie photo. Great color on you but it's a little hard to see your face.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/8/2014 4:58:57 PM
The main photo is the single most important element of a profile. Yours is just plain bad, and you are losing out on a lot of activity because of it.
Get busy and take new photos that will get you that attention! It's not rocket science, you know:)
 disneytech951
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/8/2014 5:39:38 PM
What words would you suggest? I will also have new photos by the weekend, and I am hiding my profile from public view (not on forums view) until photos and the final paragraph are fixed.
 disneytech951
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/9/2014 5:52:22 PM
Anyone have additional tips on this?
 disneytech951
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/11/2014 7:42:57 PM
Bump! Anyone please?
 mcfly2015
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2014 8:00:15 PM
I'd say get a picture of yourself wearing a chargers jersey but just because I'm a big chargers fan :)
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/12/2014 4:10:23 PM
^^^exactly.

You have been told over and over that your pics are bad yet you won't put up new ones. So this means you don't care enough to do it, but would rather complain about why girls don't message you. (referring to your other post)

You also don't talk about what kind of girl/relationship you are looking for - in a positive way.
 Quadson
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/12/2014 6:38:00 PM
oh boy I guess I am an offender of giving them compliments like "also wanted to let you know you look pretty" no wonder no one messages me back. men I am horrible with talking to women. Thanks that help somewhat now I just got to figure something else out without sounding creepy.
 Forums_only
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/25/2014 6:20:18 PM
HERE IS YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD.

It helps when we do reviews to see what other suggestions you have been given and either used or ignored so we don't waste our time repeating ourselves.

You still have way too many selfies and not nearly enough well lit outdoor photos. The main should be shoulders up, smiling.

At 22, having your intent as looking for marriage is likely to freak out most of the girls you contact, unless you are specifically targeting those girls with the same intent. If you are truly desperate to get married, there are other sites that may be faster and have a more specific marriage-minded user base.

The whole bit about the divorce and asking you for details is unnecessary. A couple of lines about the girl you'd like to meet would be helpful. Do avoid clich├ęs and any negative language.
 2015LadyLove
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/25/2014 7:15:11 PM
Welcome back to Profile review :)

I have some notes for you.

1)
I am currently working in the retail industry, but I also hold a second job as a Computer Technician. I am going to college as well to get my Criminal Justice degree with the goal of becoming a police officer.
You have two jobs and going to college. My first thought and that of the woman reading this is "when do you have time to date? ", without some indication of how the reader can possibly fit into your life the first thing they read is a red flag!

2)
Some of my hobbies/favorite things to do are going to the beach, playing video games, watching movies, going out to eat, Disneyland (I have an annual pass), and traveling just to name some interests.
See above, when do you have time?

3)
I am sure many of you will notice my profile says I am divorced. Yes it is true, but please don't let that scare you off from talking to me. If you want to know what happened please just ask.
Leave this off your profile. If someone wants to know let them ask. Remove anything about your previous marriage. It's your past and you are looking for someone for your future. If you look at peoples profiles who are divorced non of us talk about our divorces in our profiles. I think this should be true regardless of someones age.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What's wrong with my page?