Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile problems perhaps?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TwiceBlind
Msg: 1
Profile problems perhaps?Page 1 of 1    
Hello there.

I have been on this site for a while now, and have sent close to 100 messages. I have received zero responses of any kind, and no women have tried
to contact me.

Some of the women I have tried to start conversations with seem to have an incredible amount in common with me. I don't really understand what I am
doing wrong.

It could be my profile, or it could be the way I present myself in messages. What do you guys think?

A typical example of the messages I send would be:

So your a firefly fan huh? It has been a while since I watched that show, but I do remember liking it.

Have you ever see Cowboy Bebop? I think it may have influenced firefly in some ways. They both have a makeshift family of misfit bounty hunter types on a ship owned by some kind of father figure.

I also bake and knit a bit as well. Not so good with bread, but my cakes are fairly reliable. Yeast is a bit too finicky.

Anyway, are you going to the calgary expo next month?

LiterateHiker
Msg: 2
Profile problems perhaps?
Posted: 4/1/2014 3:44:17 PM
You look unhappy, stern and upset in your main photo. Nobody wants to date a negative guy. Your second photo is too dark, and your last two photos are against site rules. You must be in every photo. The last photo is offensive and seems racist.

"Alot" is not a word. It's spelled "a lot." Correct spelling and grammar are important. Your profile photos and writing are an advertisement to attract the kind of woman you want to date.

Suggesting going to a shooting range for a first date is a turnoff for women. This sounds scary and threatening to many women. And how can you talk over the sound of loud gunshots or while wearing noise-canceling headphones?

You have 8 seconds to make a good impression. Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and attractive. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cell phone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling.

Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Ask a friend to take 24 pictures of you outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8. Caption and date each photo-giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/1/2014 3:56:21 PM
ExspectoComplexam...my suggestion is to select an easy, happy, and upbeat headline.
People do not wish to conduct a Latin search to obtain the meaning to a complete stranger's POF narrative.
Back when I was seeking dates my headline seemed to do an adequate job.

Rather than an image of your santur snapped at an odd angle...what about a pic of YOU playing it?
If you can take this picture while playing it OUTSIDE it will make the pic even better due to superior lighting.
Good luck with your romantic search.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/1/2014 4:02:15 PM
Demanding headline, don't tell them what to do. I looked it up. "Waiting complex". Don't get it? Sounds more like a Harry Potter spell to me.

Photos are TERRIBLE. Get some new ones ASAP. You seriously think these are good?

Don't start off with work/study - BORING!
It sounds like you have some interesting hobbies but you made them sound dull as dishwater. What is a santur, why do you like it, what does it sound like? Use some poetic imagery here. Can you melt a woman's heart or gently soothe her to peaceful sleep?
Alot is not a word - google it!
You need a whole lot more interesting and exciting bait to get a bite on here. You have definitely got the potential, you're just advertising it really badly. Think "interesting and exciting" rather than "this is me".

First date keep it simple. Don't talk about different "types".
 tennistown
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/1/2014 5:29:02 PM

I don't really understand what I am
doing wrong.

Your username is an unfriendly one.

ExpectoComplexam

I thought you were conducting some kind of test...
It is "April fools Day!"
To see what kind of Complex we would Expect you to have, ( in the morning.)
Since I'm not licensed in that field, I would just be guessing, so I won't.

Keep sending out your messages,
someone that finally "gets" your humor and quirkiness
will respond, and you'll be one happy man. Good luck!
 TwiceBlind
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/1/2014 5:32:17 PM
Thank you for the help.

One thing I must say however; I have no interest in being with superstitious cowards, and anyone who is uncomfortable around firearms in a controlled setting is just that. Women aren't the only ones allowed to have standards. The local shooting range is a very popular place to take dates, one of the most popular in the city. Several of the women that I have messaged actually went out of their way to express interest in firearms in their profiles, even going so far as suggesting it as a good first date idea. My own interest in that activity may not have done me any good, but I doubt that it would have caused any harm.

As far as the photos go, they were taken with a full sized digital camera. It has a flash and everything. I guess it would be better to take them outside, but like the typical guy I do not really have any close friends. None that I would feel comfortable with asking for a favor. I believe that I can program it to "go off" after a certain number of seconds however.

Do you guys think it would be OK if I changed the headline but kept the user name?

username: ExspectoComplexam
headline: "seeking a connection"

I will try a few things out. Thanks for the feedback.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/2/2014 12:34:36 AM
Excuses for bad photos...... we've heard them all. Just get good ones, no more excuses.
That new headline is totally unoriginal and boring.

Nothing wrong with liking firearms but I suggest you be a little less judgemental about people. Calling them superstitious cowards just because they don't share your interest does not make you seem friendly and approachable. Even those who share your interest would find this attitude unattractive and be put off you. You know potential dates can search forums for your posts right?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/2/2014 7:15:42 AM

Posted by Mark_It_Up:
"Nothing wrong with liking firearms but I suggest you be a little less judgemental about people.
Calling them superstitious cowards just because they don't share your interest does not make you seem friendly and approachable. Even those who share your interest would find this attitude unattractive and be put off you. You know potential dates can search forums for your posts right?"

This is 100% precisely correct.
Perhaps the woman prefers something else that is not quite your "cup of tea" for a first date.
That similarly wouldn't make you superstitious or cowardly, either.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile problems perhaps?