Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Being a hippie      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Piratehooker
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Being a hippiePage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Here's my problem, I'm a dirty traveling hippie occasionally stuck in my small hometown where there are no guys who have similar experiences or beliefs as I do. I'm a rainbow girl (look it up.... Hippie stuff) stuck in Babylon. I find it almost impossible to find someone relatable except when I'm back on the road but that's only every couple of months.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 2
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 11:47:25 AM
Move to Greenwich village in NYC, you'll blend right in and probably meet lots of people into all or some of the things you're into.

Have you looked into joining groups with similar interests? You're too far out there, so meeting people in useful quantities is difficult. Move to a metro area.

vvvvvv

We can't have it all. How about you date people in the city who are willing to travel to meet you or you are willing to travel to meet them in the city. As long as you want to be in the woods, you won't have plentiful options to choose from, that's just the way it is.
 Piratehooker
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 11:53:16 AM
I know there'd be more options in a metro area but I HATE cities. Lol if I can't drive ten minutes and be out in the woods I'm not happy.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 12:03:57 PM
Burlington, Vermont or Raleigh, North Carolina is where you need to be...crunchy, quirky and a HUGE variety of people. :)
 femaleconnection
Msg: 5
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 12:04:07 PM
Like anyone who doesnt fit society's 'norm' you will have challenges meeting new people. Just the way it is. Then, when you do meet new people, many of them are gonna wrinkle thier nose at your lifestyle. It is not easy being green! (Kermit the Frog)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 6
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 12:11:53 PM
Can you get a similar dating profile posted out on a hippie online bulletin board or something?
That way if you are attending a concert or a protest event you will be able to meet like-minded guys.
 billingsmason
Msg: 7
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 12:39:42 PM
I spent some time on the road, gatherings, harvests... I can relate.
It's a great way to live. I miss it.
Saw it from different angles.... took a walk with nothing to setting up a rig and running it out of gas.
I liked having a rig better. Able to do more, see more and have some comforts a bag just doesn't carry.

Will get back out there one day. Probably do the gem trails/hot springs, maybe get a boat and cruise the islands..
Mexico is always fun... tramp Hawaii...

Seems to me you're standing in the doorway, with one foot on either side. Hard to live like that, and really get to enjoy either side.
Have you looked into a more mobile way of making money (like writing) and staying on the road?
There are lots of ways to make money on the road. Not all great money, but doable..

As far as meeting someone- if you were told the secret...... it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
 Onceblumoon
Msg: 8
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 1:43:53 PM
OP, your life experience is fairly unique (in the general population), so you might have this same problem anywhere you live. I do agree with some of the other posters in that some areas of the country are better than others in finding other kindred spirits. I'd also suggest a visit to Asheville, NC, and maybe even Bellingham, WA, or Portland, OR. There are woods, LOTS of woods, very close to each of those areas, yet also a large population of people living alternative lifestyles. You might find some pirate there or on the road, who you can lure back to the woods at some point. A lifestyle like yours won't appeal to everyone, even as they consider you for potential dating partner, but you've signed up more for making transitory connections in your travels -- any one of which could lead you to others who share your taste for adventure, etc.

Good luck, stay safe, and have a GREAT time!!
 Maleman999
Msg: 9
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 2:13:05 PM
If you're a grass roots hippie, there's a good chance your counterpart won't even have a computer or smart phone to contact you. If you find one and mention POF to him, he'll probably think it's some sort of conspiracy by The Man to make people conform to his standards. There's enough news as it is, that the government is tapping into people's computers and cell phones to see what the public is up to. That leaves finding like minded men at hippie gatherings, wherever that might be.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 10
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 2:18:48 PM
Another thing I recall hearing is that folks in the hippie lifestyle really like patchouli oil.
Have you ever explored using that fragrance? It would likely "send a message" that you are into that lifestyle.
If nothing else, it is totally worth a try to lure hippie-friendly men.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 2:26:35 PM
Is there a question? What is it?
 Piratehooker
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 2:57:01 PM
I appreciate all the advice. It's funny that Ashville, NC was mentioned. I plan on eventually settling down there... Unfortunately, the times where I am forced to stem roots, my obligations are here in Podunk, Arizona :-/
 ozsealady1
Msg: 13
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 4:04:00 PM
I am not entirely sure what you mean by being a hippie.
I googled Rainbow Girl and found a fictional cartoon character.

Anyway.

If you are what we here in the land of Oz call a person who likes

Going Walkabout
or
Being on the Wallaby track

i.e. Someone who likes travelling around. Living simply. Sometimes camping in a tent, sleeping under the stars, in a cave, under a tree, on a boat, in a car, in a caravan etc.

There are loads and loads of people who do this.
Both full time and part time.

I would have thought you would meet many, many men who do this during your travels.

I have met some who are retired, on benefits, spending their half of the divorce settlement, spending what they inherited from their parents.

Plus some who get jobs wherever they can / want and choose a life away from the trappings of society.
There are many, many people who prefer a life away from phones, computers, clocks, traffic etc.

Considering you are a university student, obviously have a computer, nice clothes, wear makeup, can afford cigarettes and tattoos etc
For you being a hippie must be a part time passion.

Again I know people who do this part time.
They are out there but probably not living and working in a small town.
That type of conservatism is exactly what they are wanting to avoid.

I would suggest meeting people when you are out being your hippie self.
You may find someone who is willing to move in with you for the times you are back in 'civilization'.

p.s.

Just noticed your sign on your backpack, Pirate Hooker.
Travelling Broke and Sexy

You will certainly be able to find lots of travelling men who are also broke and will be happy to move in with you and have you pay for the luxuries of a hot water shower, flushing toilet and fresh food.

daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 4:58:26 PM
Then why do you keep going back to AZ? You are more than old enough to find ways to support your lifestyle, why do you keep going 'home'?
 Walts
Msg: 15
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 4:58:28 PM

I find it almost impossible to find someone relatable except when I'm back on the road but that's only every couple of months

my obligations are here in Podunk, Arizona

Rock, meet, hard place.

Unless YOU decide to change some things,("obligations") I highly doubt you will find someone that you "think" has had the same experiences and/or beliefs that you believe you have/had. The road will let you meet different types. Sitting in the same place, will not. It ain't rocket science.

I do have to admit, I find it quite amusing that you have already defined yourself at your age, and picking "hippie" even more amusing. Especially, a "hippie" with "obligations". I personally believe that you are just one that hasn't really figured out who you are, just yet, and is on a search. You won't find what you are looking for staying in the same place. You also won't find out who you really are, when thinking that "other" will make things "better". I've personally been on my "search" for over 50 years, and yet, I don't define it as a "problem". It just is what it is.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 16
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 5:26:59 PM

Unfortunately, the times where I am forced to stem roots, my obligations are here in Podunk, Arizona :-/

Well, maybe check out Bisbee AZ. It seems to be where a lot of the free thinkers, writers, arts, off the main roads types, etc, like to live & settled down for a spell.... but a word of caution......don't get to close to the huge hole in the ground there......cheers
 sigungq
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 6:18:34 PM

Piratehooker wrote:

I know there'd be more options in a metro area but I HATE cities. Lol if I can't drive ten minutes and be out in the woods I'm not happy.

In that case, you might want to try Sedona, Az. Great hippie colony there.
 dpwesu
Msg: 18
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 6:27:41 PM
A great place for hippies......Haught and Ashbury, San Fransisco........LOTS of them there!

But I know you don't like the city......but Mill Valley isn't too far from there.
 carolann0308
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 7:12:11 PM
I think your best option is a Rainbow Family gathering, Burning Man, Coachella or some other venue whether like minded folks get together. Sorry Phish doesn't much tour anymore but sh1t happens.
Move to Slab City, CA. Live off the grid.
By 27, you have had ample time to get outta Dodge. I had friends living in Sedona, Santa Fe and Northeast Kingdom Vermont when they were 18, selling incense, weed, organic soaps, tee shirts, cleaning hotel rooms whatever they had to do to be where they wanted to be.. I knew a guy that swallowed swords in Coney Island....every man has his Eden.

You have to want it bad enough and make the commitment not just pose a few weeks a year.
 Piratehooker
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 7:49:38 PM
I have left.... I was on the road consistently from the ages of 16-21 and than my mom passed away so my obligations have been here helping take care of my grandmother. I'm okay with that aspect.... She means the world to me.... But it also hinders me from straying too far. As far as meeting a guy who'd be more than happy to live off the "luxuries" I may or may not be able to provide.... I don't want someone I can take care of... Lol just a partner. Up until a few weeks ago I was in a relationship with a rainbow brother.... Who than got mad when I told him I didn't feel comfortable housing him up and would like it better if we both continued our lifestyles individually during the months I had to be back home.
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/2/2014 9:04:13 PM
you're taking care of your grandmother (not the earth). Load up on the karmic brownie points while they are there for you to gain. She won't be around forever, get your memories in while you can, and you'll still have the rest of your life to make more memories.

I took care of my parents in their last years, the time will go by sooner than you think. Let the grass grow under your toes for the time being. read a lot of the Beatniks, travel inside your head or use other peoples' vids on Youtube. Make lists of where you want to go once you're free of your cosmic duty, plan out the route. you're where you are for a reason, it won't be forever.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 4:42:23 AM

I'm a rainbow girl (look it up.... Hippie stuff) stuck in Babylon.

Okay, I did look it up, and the answers I see are conflicting and confusing. The most common reference to "rainbow girl" is a Masonic Order. There is nothing in the description of the order which specifies being a "dirty traveling hippie," so I'm at this point guessing that you have another meaning in mind.

I have left.... I was on the road consistently from the ages of 16-21 and than my mom passed away so my obligations have been here helping take care of my grandmother. I'm okay with that aspect.... She means the world to me.... But it also hinders me from straying too far. As far as meeting a guy who'd be more than happy to live off the "luxuries" I may or may not be able to provide.... I don't want someone I can take care of... Lol just a partner. Up until a few weeks ago I was in a relationship with a rainbow brother.... Who than got mad when I told him I didn't feel comfortable housing him up and would like it better if we both continued our lifestyles individually during the months I had to be back home.

This SOUNDS like that you are someone who simply isn't interested in committing to a one-on-one relationship with anyone. I still can't tell whether you are asking for a solution to a conundrum you are confused about, or are just here to vent, or something else, so I wish you would say what it is that you are trying to work out.

My viewpoint on all things emotional/lifestyle/romantic etc, is that it's all a matter of more or less, simple mathematical formulas. You do what you want, and you accept the natural consequences of the mix of your choices, with the choices everyone else make. The old Henny Youngman-style joke, "I said 'Doc, it hurts when I do this; and the doctor said 'So, don't do that."

The translation to dating and mating is, if you want someone as a partner who is fine with only being with you "on call", so to speak, but who still gives you the sense that you have a real mate, you will have a much harder time finding someone. Not because there's anything wrong with what you want, rather because mathematically, the number of people like that, is vastly smaller than other kinds of people.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 23
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 7:17:45 AM
I have several friends who are descendants of the hippie generation, they LIVE for Renaissance Fairs and the time during the summer when they can live the gypsy lifestyle, but this is Minnesota - you still need four walls and a good heater for 6-8 months of the year to survive. Finding their 'center' often involves meditation and a place to calm themselves during the stressful times.

I get the notion you are a restless spirit who's into moving constantly - think like George Clooney's character from 'Up in the Air' movie. If you've seen that flick, you've probably realized keeping up a romantic connection is flimsy at best when you're always moving around.

Relationships need something to 'ground' them, plain and simple - whether it's a physical location on the planet or a phone number you always call or a time when you always connect - you HAVE to train yourself to have a time or place to 'lock' into if you ever want to have any appeal to most men out there looking for a relationship. If you keep wanting and insisting on being able to connect whenever and wherever you feel like it, you pretty much gotta pay for someone to be available for you, and that kind of kills the spirit of romance.

A friend of mine who is an artist was having serious difficulty being inspired. She'd constantly go outside to be with nature - taking hikes in the woods and such - but her drawing studio is in the garage, with only one small window. Her hubby helped build an 'aquarium' patio off the back side of the garage, with a full view of the woods, and that was all it took. She's furiously producing fabulous pencil sketches almost every day now.

Sometimes it only takes a little change in your life to make all the difference. Sometimes it's as easy as changing your mind. What is impossible is getting others to change for you.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 24
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 10:01:25 AM
Ya - I am not getting the Rainbow girl thing. From what I understand reading it is like a religious cult? Or you are into comics?

Seattle is a big city with tons of small towns nearby with people who are hippies. Like, fe; Whidbey island where I live. An hour from the city, but surrounded by forests and mountains. We complain about the rain so that people won't move here. And - pot is legal. Hippiness abounds here.
 billingsmason
Msg: 25
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 10:29:17 AM
Curious how sheltered some folks are.

Google images : "Rainbow gathering",.... even "dirty hippy" ( but don't confuse this with the urban slang dirty hippy)

There are millions of these folks out there, they just all wear the same look so there will never be an accurate count.
Then subsects: carnies, rail rats, maniacs, w.r. kids, freaks, beatnix, bohemians, huggers..... most see just "homeless".
But the earth is "home". Many are just looking to not have that taken away.
There is also huge discrimination against these folks.
Ever heard "that guy 'gypped' me"? =this is the most racist term used in the world today.

Jesus was a hippy.... look it up.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Being a hippie