Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Battery Lawnmowers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 five-marie
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Battery LawnmowersPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Always have an issue trying to start gas lawnmowers so decided to buy a battery one this year. However, after googling them I found quite a few issues trying to start them. Anyone have any experience with these? The only other alternative is electric and I don't want to be dragging a huge long cord around while cutting.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/24/2014 6:12:27 PM
If by a battery mower, you mean the ones that have a re-chargeable battery system (cordless), then I don't see why it would be any different than a corded electric mower with regards to the starting mechanism.

Also, I don't what you mean when you say you have "issues" starting mowers.
Mowers don't start for many reasons
Its always hard to start one at the begining of the season when its been out of use for the winter
but this is not unusual and is not usually a big deal.
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/24/2014 6:19:06 PM
I had a "yardscaping" business for about a decade. I know the few obvious things that so many people do wrong that causes them problems with their lawnmower, which should be so easy to avoid. But somehow not. When in business, I never bought a single piece of equipment that was "commercial grade"...and I had a mower that I used for over 2 years - keeping in mind that I use one more often in a week, every week, for 3/4 of the year, than some homeowners use theirs in a whole year - and it never needed to go to the shop.

Just learn how to use your regular lawn mower, and treat it right.
 ladymercury
Msg: 4
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/24/2014 7:21:29 PM
I'd suggest an electric one, although it's a bit late as you already have a battery operated one. My lot is maybe 30 by 120 or something like that and so having an electrical cord around my shoulders while cutting the lawn is no big deal. Sure, if you had a massive yard then I'd get it. I also kind of like the sound they make for some reason. Previously I bought a push lawnmower and I really liked that one too but it ended up being an ornamental piece of yard furniture with flowers around it somehow.

Not sure what to say about battery operated lawnmowers ... maybe change the battery? I don't even know if it's a button or a pull cord so can't really even give any technical advice.
 gtomustang
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:50 PM
are you talking pull-start mowers that give you starting problems, or riders with batteries that discharge over the winter, giving you start problems?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 6
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:15:26 PM
"I'd suggest an electric one, although it's a bit late as you already have a battery operated one. My lot is maybe 30 by 120 or something like that and so having an electrical cord around my shoulders while cutting the lawn is no big deal. "
That's what I use. I love cordless drills and saws but for yardwork I use corded. They are low cost, very reliable, and have never needed a tune-up :)
 raxarsr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:30:03 PM
theres one more choice.........you can get lawnmowers and snowblowers with gas engines that you can plug into an extension cord to start them.............simply unplug the extension cord from the mower after its started and its a regular gas mower
 five-marie
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/25/2014 3:29:37 PM
I haven't bought one yet, I always google ratings before I buy. I have a smaller front yard which is why I need a lawnmower I can start. The huge backyard is cut by a rider. I do need to do some trim in the back so an electric wouldn't work, just too big.
I seem to lack the muscle I once had to pull the crank on the gas mowers. That, and not taking proper care of them makes them too hard for me to start them.
Never heard of a gas mower started with an extension cord, that might work.
Still be nice to hear from someone who does own a battery lawnmower. Don't want to add one of those to my collection only to find it won't start either.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/25/2014 4:06:46 PM
My father has had a battery powered mower for several years now. He loves it. He's 83 and only has one arm. At their previous home the yard was big enough he bought a second battery to swap in when the first wasn't enough to do the whole yard. Their new home has a smaller yard so the extra battery is just a spare now. I've never once heard him complain of starting problems, and would think powering up an electric motor would be pretty dependable.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/25/2014 6:03:50 PM
I have owned a battery powered lawnmower for several years now. I have a small yard so the battery runs just fine on a single charge. Its very easy to start- just an easy pull a small handle and it goes! If you let go the lawnmower stops. Very easy to start and stop with these mowers.
The only problem with them is charging the battery. I've had two. The first one had a charger that would charge the battery and then stop automatically. This one worked great until the battery got old- about 5 years- then I had to replace it ($80). The next one - you had to remember to remove the charger or it would overcharge and ruin the battery and you had to remember charge the battery once a month over winter. After about two years the battery quit. The only real difference is one has a better charger than the other. I would make this a must have feature.
For this, I would recommend the one with the automatic charger- a Black and Decker.
 Ainen
Msg: 11
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/25/2014 8:06:40 PM
Electric is not the only alternative.

I operate a real mower. Actual spelling is "reel" mower.

Modern reel mowers such as my Scotts Classic are easy to push. It's aerobic exercise, unlike the anaerobic pushing of older mowers. Reel mowers also make your grass greener than power mowers: the blades cut like scissors, sealing the grass blades to retain moisture, unlike power mowers which eviscerate the grass.

No noise or air pollution. The typical two stroke mower emits more pollution in 30 minutes than driving a gasoline car 500 miles.
 DragonBits
Msg: 12
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/25/2014 8:40:39 PM
I have a toro, they are pretty easy to start.

But I also have a toro snow blower, it has an electric start motor without a battery. You can plug it into the AC (120 volt)and that turns over the starter motor to start the gas engine. Or start it with a typical pull cord. Maybe there is a lawn mower like that.
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/26/2014 12:01:45 AM
What Ainen is talking about above is a mower without a motor. I was just about to suggest that when I saw that you say that you have a small front yard, and that's all that you're concerned with here. It's those things that you just push, the turning wheels rotate a scissor action mechanism. No need to worry about motors or cords or starting them. Not that hard and work pretty well. And Ainen's also right about the fact that a reel mower cuts differently, in a way that is quite healthy for the grass. You might even find it a joy to cut with one of these, as there is no noise but the sound of the birds and wind and you walking making a very quiet grass-friendly cutting sound. Actually a reel mower is ok for bigger yards...not just because we're talking about a smaller yard here...but it's just that, depending on what brand or quality you get, some people feel like a certain skill must be obtained in using a reel mower, and it's a matter of difference in financial investment, and someone assuming that a power mower is "easier".

I was also going to suggest, for having a small front yard, don't otherwise even use a mower...get a normal string trimmer/weedeater. If you don't have a problem starting those. If starting one of those isn't a problem...cutting grass in a small yard isn't as hard as you might think, and doesn't look as bad as you might think. I can make it look as good as any mower, but I don't expect everyone to immediately be able to do that...but it'll still look good.
 DragonBits
Msg: 14
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/26/2014 4:12:21 AM
I would just get an electric mower with an extension cord. They aren't expense, the engine doesn't actually "start" since it is like a vacuum cleaner.

Greenworks 13-Amp 21-in Corded Electric Push Lawn Mower

For a small yard you could get a battery mower, but then will have to buy batteries every couple of years.

Unless you have many obstacles in your yard, like a bird feeder, poles, trees, etc, the cord shouldn't be that big a deal after you get used to it, especially with a small yard. You could experiment by holding an electric cord in your hands and simulating mowing.

I bought an electric chain saw because it always starts and I only need to use it once every couple of years. Not a lot of power and if I needed to cut fire wood I for heating I would use a gas powered one.

If the OP has trouble pulling the cord on a gas mower, they won't be able to operate a mower without a motor, it will be too much effort.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 15
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/26/2014 6:00:06 AM

I seem to lack the muscle I once had to pull the crank on the gas mowers. That, and not taking proper care of them makes them too hard for me to start them.

Well naturally you can't use a battery powered lawn mover for your back yard being so large. But there is still one more alternative that you can use, it requires no gasoline, no electric, and no batteries....give up. Rent some sheep to do the work & the lawn gets fertilize at the same time....^^^^^

Seriously, a reel mower would be the ticket if your front yard is that small. Or if you don't have the energy to do that.... and like a few other have suggested without the cost of buy batteries ,a inexpensive electric mower with cord, would work fine. And you don't have to pull a cord to start it ! ^^^^^

Or I forgot one other thing I seen in my last travels to sunny California & the Southwest. As some of the front yards there have installed artificial grass or rock gardens......now that a hoot for sure in keeping up with the Jones and no watering to boot !
 five-marie
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/27/2014 3:01:34 AM
When I said a small front yard that was in comparison to my back yard. I live in the county ,it's not that small! My son who lives in the city has a tiny front and back yard. He bought a reel mower, it takes him 10 minutes to cut front and back. Most of his neighbors have turned their front yards into rock gardens, I love that idea but mine is too large for that.
Front yard has a lot of trees/bushes and a ditch. I don't think an electric would be possible, why I was thinking about a battery operated mower.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 17
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/27/2014 5:54:43 AM

I agree that the reel mowers do a better job. When I was a kid, my dad had a reel mower with an engine and driven wheels

Yes, as many have already said, a reel mower does a excellent job other then the more common rotary type blade mower.
And reason being, a reel mower....as the blades of grass is cut between the blade & its cutting edge.
Where as a rotary mower shears the grass & unless you keep it sharp all the time when the blade gets dull, instead of cutting... it shears the blades of grass & leaves the blades of grass uneven with damaged ends.

As most Golf courses only have reel type mowers to keep & maintain there fairways & greens in top notch condition.

As for the op, I guess I'm not a big fan of these big empty lawns.....As I have & reduced my time cutting grass, in front & back by bringing in a few truck loads of mulch & some very attractive rocks, planted some trees & bushes over the years. As my back yard is garden, & now takes up now half of the once all grass.....

I don't remember even seeing a 2-stroke lawnmower engine

Methink he meant 4 stroke....or maybe its some good old boy invention......cheers
 DoubleParked
Msg: 18
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 4/27/2014 7:39:38 AM
I have a Scots brand reel push mower that is probably as old as I am. My yard is small, but not tiny, mostly taken up by trees, shrubs and perennial beds that I have planted over the years. The reel mower itself is a little heavy, (no plastic parts whatsoever) but once I get going, the momentum carries us along no problem. The grass gets cut, and I get a good aerobic workout to boot. And invariably, when I'm cutting the front yard out by the street, a car or truck will slow up, and say 'My dad (or grandpa, depending on the age of the driver) had a mower just like that!' and will give me a big smile and a 'thumbs up'. And then the letter carrier will come by and take a deep whiff of that new mown grass fresh air smell that no other mower can ever replicate and wish me a very pleasant day as he hands me my mail< Good times in the neighborhood!
 the_regency
Msg: 19
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 5/1/2014 12:28:20 PM
There must be something wrong with your gas mower. My Sears Craftsman regular gas lawn mower with pull cord barely takes any muscle power to start. Just pull the cord with minimal force, if you can open a door you can start the mower.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 5/2/2014 2:53:09 PM
I'm on my third Black and Decker electric (cordless). Since I have no garage, I like them because no gas in the house, and they're always charged up when I'm ready. They are not for everybody, however. They are heavy so they are best for a flat lawn with no brush or tall weeds.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 21
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 5/2/2014 3:21:54 PM
^^^^^^
I use the same but corded, and I like it because it's kind of petite so it gets into small spaces and it's light. I can pick it up easily and carry it in the front seat of my small car, too. Bigger is not always better.
 five-marie
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 5/24/2014 5:27:07 PM
Today I bought a Toro, with a key start (run by a battery)gas mower that is self propelled. Love it! Yard was cut in half the time it used to take me and I had barely broken a sweat when it was done. Such a relief to be able to start it on my own. Grass was high and it cut right threw it like a breeze. Thanks for all the advice.
 five-marie
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Battery Lawnmowers
Posted: 5/24/2014 5:42:14 PM
Just decided to do a little trimming in the back with the new lawn mower and the key was gone. Dealer who sold/delivered it to me must have mistakenly taken it with him. Used the pull start and no problems.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Battery Lawnmowers