Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What am I doing wrong?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bucsgirl
Msg: 2
What am I doing wrong?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well for profile help, read thoroughly through the writing tips thread. There's plenty of good advice on a photo, your main one needs to be changed.

I can tell you, your expectations are out of whack. There are many topics on the forum, too many to list here. You haven't been here a week, yet are already whining. It's a free site, you obviously have no online experience (or very little) so you're a total newbie don't expect you know how this works. No to low responses are more common than not, the other more experienced users will tell you it'll take a LOT of effort and a TON of patience. If you don't have either in ample supply, best probably to search out another venue.
 Nature64
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 2:10:54 PM
After having read your profile there are a few things that could be changed. Firstly get a better picture for your profile pic, secondly try using paragraphs in your text.
I agree with the previous poster that it takes time and lots of energy to meet someone one this site, no matter who you are.
 tennistown
Msg: 6
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 2:17:42 PM

What am I doing wrong?

I can be shy when I first meet some one but after I get to know you I'm told I wont shut up lol.

I am not your target audience, however most people wish this ^^^^^ was the other way around.
Remove that sentence.

Your About me reads...
I like, I love, I like, I love, I want, I like, I saw, I like, I love, I like etc
There has to be a way to change that opening sentence structure.
Don't try, do!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 14
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 2:43:38 PM
"I could use some pointers with the criticism thanks"

That's what the writing tips thread is for. You can't expect someone to hold your hand and tell you what to write, sentence by sentence. There are services where you pay for a rewrite, people who volunteer their time here can tell you WHAT to do, HOW to do it is what you have to figure out for yourself - like everyone else does!
 9Pluto
Msg: 18
view profile
History
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 3:16:56 PM
Headline:

"I'll String Along with You"

(it's an old song, and when I read the profile, I remembered it)

Until you get some substance in your profile, you could nuke what you have and start over offline in a word processer with spell check. The go over it again to be sure if you write some one, you don't mean someone, their, you don't mean there, etc.

This can be your placeholder, your favorite song; another reviewer independently came to a similar suggestion too ;-) I would ask you to pay attention to what the lyrics say, it’s quite ironic actually given the direction of this thread. No problem, get your keel back in sync with your feelings or PoF won’t be fruitful, you just got to put up with all the reviewers’ quirks and thank them for their time. When you reread them you’ll realize they are not as bad as you thought, and what is really bothering you is they found your weakness and just want to help you in their way.

Placeholder:

While you're looking for my profile, I'm going to sing you a love song. Rome wasn’t built in a day so I’m working on that … and I express myself more beautifully through my guitar ;-)

They don't know how long it takes,
Waiting for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss
I'll wait for you I promise you, I will
 bucsgirl
Msg: 20
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 3:26:37 PM
"Until you get some substance in your profile, you could nuke what you have and start over"

Anger......me? No what I am doing is being direct, you just don't want to hear it. Pluto said it differently.........there's getting help and there's having someone do it for you. Now, how saying that is angry is beyond me.

You got some SPECIFIC help, about your headline and not starting sentences with "I". Now unless you've fixed that and your photos, then what else do you expect people to do for you?

I'm a sweet little old grandma, it takes a lot to get me angry, I just don't BS people.

EDIT: There's really GOOD advice in the writing tips thread about headlines...you need to go read it and redo yours. Also your content needs some work still.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 23
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 3:34:30 PM
No worries, sweetie I really was trying to help. It's like my kids if I tell them to clean their room, I'm not going to do it for them......haha but thank god my kids are grown. I think you get my drift. Good luck, but seriously you have a lot of good info you just need to incorporate it. Hope it all helps.
 tennistown
Msg: 28
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 5/8/2014 5:15:53 PM

I could use some pointers with the criticism

I used to recite this over and over again, when I was ten.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."
You know, it still holds true today.

Back to your profile review.....

I think I want the same as anyone just try to follow the golden rule.

There are some pretty freaky people around here, (present company excluded of course.)
So, I would recommend being specific as to what you want.

The golden rule.
The ethic of reciprocity
Or
The one with all the gold, makes the rules.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What am I doing wrong?