Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile peer review please! : D      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sketch1990
Msg: 1
Profile peer review please! : DPage 1 of 1    
I have been on POF a few months now and have BARELY noticed it had a forum. Haha..

I am glad I can finally interact and communicate with other users to better connect with people. My profile garners attention in waves but it has been pretty dead as of late. Any advice?
 9Pluto
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Profile peer review please! : D
Posted: 6/3/2014 9:23:05 PM
The animated gif or whatever it is wasn't great for me, though you are innovative you better ditch it. It looked like a low quality web cam taking a pic every 5 seconds and was a little scary to read you profile while it did its thing up there. Yes, a little creepy to feel watched. Perhaps animated can work, but not this time...
 Sketch1990
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/3/2014 9:29:07 PM
Good call! Deleted.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/3/2014 9:43:01 PM
Carlos - You have 2 great pics and a bunch of what-evers. Dump the filler and keep posting fresh images of similar quality, and how about some wardrobe upgrades, outdoor photos, and a shot of you holding one of your drawings?
 RedrockJen
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/3/2014 9:43:41 PM
Hi Carlos. Great user name

Love your main pic. The others show variety: different angles, with glasses, come hither look. Pretty good. Could maybe use a few outdoor pics. Might want to work on that.

"I am multi-talented and what I am capable of has no boundaries, my current roles include being an artist, writer, photojournalist, entrepreneur, pro-gamer, singer, comedian, actor, communicator and professional all in one package."

Are you sure you're not James Franco?

Confidence is great; hubris, not so much. Think about it. Might want to tone it down.

"I'm looking for new friends or a potential girlfriend who would share similar interests and ideologies."

I'd get rid of the friends part. You can make friends here--I have. But you said you want a relationship and are here for dating. I'd keep it consistent.

And be sure to fill out the first date section.

Good luck.
 9Pluto
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2014 10:22:15 PM
Hi Carlos, at your point in life a little tooting the horn is probably ok (a.k.a. swag, brashness, brazenness, boldness, machismo, etc.), but I agree with Jen's:

Confidence is great; hubris, not so much. Think about it. Might want to tone it down.

"I'm looking for new friends or a potential girlfriend who would share similar interests and ideologies."

As for the word ideologies, it was too deep for me when I was looking for levity, so I wouldn't have to think twice about messaging you. ideologies is a little too philosophical in an intro dating profile that's so abbreviated, don't you think. It brings to mind a large set of beliefs and I just don't see you've got a system. If I had to guess it would be pacifism or passive resistance but I don't think you really want me guessing those things when you are just introducing yourself. The words chill, mellow, facilitator all come to mind but only you can explain what you mean.

The impression I got was you are smart and confident, but the profile itself was too much of a list for Deanna Troi. You really need to give her a more personal touch, hold your woman's hand and tell her about it as you look into her beautiful eyes -- instead of going for such brevity. It will make you more approachable IMO.

You seem to have a relatively athletic build, and for all the ‘hubris’ I'm not seeing much in the photo department. I’m with GreenThumbz as usual when it comes to pics, there is a fluorescent crappy low light cast and you should bring real color into this unless you go for the facebook zombified look -- show yourself off modestly but with better resolution photos too. You like photography and can do all those PR things, right?

Best Luck
 Sketch1990
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/3/2014 10:51:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I greatly appreciate it. I have removed some photos and have updated the text on my page toning down my confidence, removing the friendship and shared ideologies aspect, as well as filling in the first date info. I have been doing research on men's fashion and style to better dress myself.

I will work on getting new and improved photos later this week. While I am a photographer at work shooting self portraits by myself with a Nikon D800 has proved very challenging for me. I used a tripod and timer but didn't get the desired results. I have also asked coworkers and my roommate to help shoot photos of me but they refuse because they feel weird taking my date profile photos.

I agree on outdoor, hobby, and updressed photos. Those will be my goals.

Thanks again all, Carlos
 RedrockJen
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/4/2014 10:18:40 AM
You are welcome. A couple things...

You have two paragraphs about hobbies--be sure to merge those.

"I'm looking for a potential girlfriend who would share similar interests. I prefer intelligent, hardworking women with aspirations and goals who are charming, funny, nerdy, and incredibly cute."

I'm looking for a girlfriend who shares similar interests. She is intelligent and hardworking, with aspirations and goals--charming, funny, nerdy and incredibly cute.

Never say 'women'--plural. Make sense?

Good edit on toning it down a notch. Still shows you to be confident.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/4/2014 10:24:06 AM
Profile is looking pretty good. My suggestion would be to add another photograph or two engaged in an activity.
Mix the close-up snapshots with a few that clearly show a full-body image for the single women reading your profile.
Good luck with your romantic search. :-)
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/4/2014 10:35:00 AM
"I have also asked coworkers and my roommate to help shoot photos of me but they refuse because they feel weird taking my date profile photos. "
Solution - Join a nearby camera club, you will meet and interface with others who have similar interests, and they will take fantastic photos of you that you would have paid $$$ for otherwise. Don't depend on the hardware to make up for lack of creativity - it won't, but different sets of eyes will do wonders for your dating profile and your personal portfolio.
The contacts you build will also be helpful as you move ahead in your career. If you do make the leap into the creative fields , this is like money in the bank. I was involved with camera clubs, and we routinely shot aspiring models for portfolio shots, and let me tell you, many of them were A-mazing ! Heather Locklear was super-photogenic even as a beginner, she went on to be a big TV star, but we all shot her for free.
 gcdeb
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/4/2014 3:02:48 PM

they refuse because they feel weird taking my date profile photos.
Tell them the photos are for your mother/father/sister/grandmother who hasn't seen you in a while. People will fall over themselves to take the pics for you.
 Sketch1990
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/6/2014 10:29:24 AM
Thanks again for the feedback everyone! I have made the requested changes on my profile. I am going to take next week to work on my photos.

I greatly appreciate your time and support.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile peer review please! : D