Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Review my profile, women only please!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ouija2013
Msg: 2
Review my profile, women only please!Page 1 of 1    
Read the rules you can't ask for only one gender to review your profile
Where is your shirt?
Where is your Cap key?
Stay home and cuddle, no women want to go on dates not just pop over and sit on your sofa.
There is so much more but others will chime in
Lose the shirtless asap, against site rules and can get your profile nuked
 Hailey_Smurff
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Review my profile, women only please!
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:00:14 AM
you can't discriminate when asking for help.

If you honestly wanted help with your profile, you wouldn't dismiss advice because of gender. I would be grateful for anyone's time they spend trying to help.
 dichoTommy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:07:40 AM
Can't post a polarizing thread, so I'll help you out.

Headline: trite, overused - headline + primary picture + first 200 words are what show in search results and are often the only chance you get.

Photos: your main isn't horrible (it shows you to be an attractive male), but you'd do better with a big toothy grin and wearing a shirt (seriously, shirtless photos, even when contextually good, are typically the number one reason women click next). You need at least one full-body shot (preferably with nobody else in the picture), and you'd do well to have more photos of you doing various activities (though having fewer good pictures is better than having many poor ones).

Interests: Your list is good and includes several you'd share with the woman you hope to meet. Good job there.

About you: Your first sentence lacks conviction/confidence ("I'll try... I guess?") remove it as it's the first thing they see and is already acting against you.

The "cuddling" word tends to draw negatives from the ladies even if they like it.

You can talk about your tattoo, or show it, but shouldn't do both. Can hint at it if you'd like it to be an easy conversation starter, but then you wouldn't want to go into what song or why.

Artists - should've stopped before Nickleback, surely ;)

"what makes me unique, hmm" - doesn't come across strong. Women like confidence and this is another sign of a lack thereof. Don't throw it in their face, but definitely demonstrate confidence throughout.

To sum up I'd say I'm just a decent, genuine guy looking for a girl to have something special with. Don't really have a type...Physically there should be at least a slight attraction but personality counts much more for me. I will say though that tattoos and piercings drive me crazy haha, love curves, green eyes and have a thing for emo/punk girls. But if you've got a good sense of humour, you're fun and you think we'd click message me :)

Attraction is a given, listing it as a "slight attraction" makes you come across as desperate even if you aren't. Don't invite them to message you, compel them to message you by having a good profile.

Further, what you have listed is too specific - curves, green eyes, tattoos, piercings and emo/punk. Since you listed that, anyone who isn't that will NOT message you because they feel you've someone else in mind. You can use inclusive language (view my profile for an example) which will get you better results.

You have a decent amount of information, but it doesn't read as interesting as you can make it. More dynamicism and energy are needed. Turn your about you to 11.

Your first date is well-written (just need an extra carriage return for better spacing between the paragraphs), but it's at the bottom, so women have to get there first. That being said, the last sentences about the fake emergency phone call ends with a negative and isn't needed. Yes, good to joke about, but leave that for in-person or else it's likely to fall flat.

/2 pence
/YMMVSPSFD

Hailey I get that it's just I'm not trying to attract a guy lol, 9 times out of 10 guys don't know what girls want so if i'm trying to improve my page to make it more appealing to girls how will a guys opinion help?

YOU may not know what girls want (nor would many of your peers), but I assure you that I know quite a lot about what women want. Your choice on whether or not you're willing to take my advice, but I could always provide references, I suppose ;)
 Hailey_Smurff
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:11:56 AM
Your ridiculous bias thinking and closed mindedness say more about you than any profile.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:18:34 AM
My favorite is "My Special Prayer", but no, I won't marry you.
Your main pic looks like a mug-shot to me, the second pic does not belong on a dating profile, and the third one violates POF rules. Doesn't leave us much now, does it? If you are serious about online dating you need to take fresh photos that you off your handsome face in a variety of (clothed) settings, both inside and outdoors. There are many tutorials that show the most popular styles of shots, look through them and see what strikes you, then go out and start getting high quality pictures.
below - "Nothing sadder than a 40 year-old frat boy, believe me."
Except a 50 year-old frat boy :)
 Bell30655
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:19:01 AM
Billy, listen to these experts. I learned as much, if not more from the guys as I did the ladies. Also click on their profiles. These are people that are getting messages or have even hidden their profiles because they were successful. Not that I didn't value the ladies help, too.
 dichoTommy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2014 8:19:53 AM

Your ridiculous bias thinking and closed mindedness say more about you than any profile.

He's 21. As much as I have myself together these days, I most assuredly did not at 21. At 21, men think they finally have it all figured out. The reality is we think that again at 25, 30, etc until we realize that we never have it ALL figured out. By then, however, we're housebroken and either self-bettering or not likely to ever change/improve.

Nothing sadder than a 40 year-old frat boy, believe me.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/5/2014 9:49:43 AM
Hi Billy.

Was just about to say that shirtless pic needs to go... and poof it's gone. The new one is good. It's just a tad too bright. Perhaps darken it a bit with a photo editing program.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/5/2014 10:25:14 AM
As a forum poster used to say, if you're a lion hunting gazelle, do you ask the gazelle or the lion for advice? Don't discount the opinion of fellow men, especially the ones who have experienced success (they clearly did something right).

Third picture isn't of you. And I think the tatt picture also isn't acceptable since your face isn't in it. Main picture isn't great either. So, all new pics. Follow some basics: you should be the focus, your face should be distinguishable, no distracting backgrounds, absolutely never do a mirror selfie where the camera is in the shot, and smile.

I'm not a fan of saying "haha" after every sentence. It's distracting.

Why start off the first date with a sentence about what you don't want? Jump to the good stuff: what you DO want. And be decisive. The multitude of "maybe's" and "unless's" makes you sound wishy-washy.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Review my profile, women only please!