Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > A Rich Guy Warns His Fellows      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 1
view profile
History
A Rich Guy Warns His FellowsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Multi-millionaire Nick Hanauer is no dummy. He sees the writing on the wall.

I'd strongly suggest you read this entire piece titled "The pitchforks are coming . . . for us Plutocrats"

And what do I see in our future now?
I see pitchforks.

At the same time that people like you and me are thriving beyond the dreams of any plutocrats in history, the rest of the country—the 99.99 percent—is lagging far behind. The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.

But the problem isn’t that we have inequality. Some inequality is intrinsic to any high-functioning capitalist economy. The problem is that inequality is at historically high levels and getting worse every day. Our country is rapidly becoming less a capitalist society and more a feudal society. Unless our policies change dramatically, the middle class will disappear, and we will be back to late 18th-century France. Before the revolution.

And so I have a message for my fellow filthy rich, for all of us who live in our gated bubble worlds: Wake up, people. It won’t last.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/...

I remember hearing a phrase during Occupy, "If you won't let us dream we won't let you sleep". What happens when real opportunity for everyone below $100k evaporates entirely? What happens when people can't find decent paying jobs that they can afford to live on? What happens when people have had enough?
I don't want things to get that bad. I have often tried my best to get out in front of the problem before it gets worse. I don't have the resources or clout to be heard, my lack of money as speech prevents that, but Nick Hanauer does, and he is spelling it out for his uber-rich compatriots, cut the shit out before you unleash all hell on yourselves.
No society can sustain this kind of rising inequality. In fact, there is no example in human history where wealth accumulated like this and the pitchforks didn’t eventually come out. You show me a highly unequal society, and I will show you a police state. Or an uprising. There are no counterexamples. None. It’s not if, it’s when.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/...
 DameWrite
Msg: 2
view profile
History
A Rich Guy Warns His Fellows
Posted: 6/27/2014 6:18:42 PM
These "pitchforks" may be in the form of refusing to buy in, refusing to participate, ignoring, stopping of any support, massive strikes, local currency's, farming, shaming of excess and refusing to fight or pollute for them and creating our own SUSTAINABLE society where everyone is treated equal.

Hopefully it won't get violent but it seems to be leaning that way in most parts of the world (that haven't been medicated by televalium, medications and sugar).

What I really see coming to the west is a bribe.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/28/2014 5:02:38 AM

What happens when people have had enough?

What will happen is what ever happened before; upheaval, riots, decadence, etc

The real problem is selfishness & greed inherent in humanity
Nobody in the top 1% who is vying for even greater accumulation of wealth & capital is gonna relinquish what they've gotten just for the betterment of society. To stop this cycle, something big has to happen! Which is usually the way society "re-boots" itself, and starts afresh with a whole new set of leaves on the "tree". This is what is been happening throughout history! It won't change anytime soon, as we are not socially evolved enough to be able to overcome it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/28/2014 8:56:32 AM
what will happen? the same thing that happened in America's past.

well, not exactly, b/c back in those days, it was factory workers on the front line. today it will be desk-riders on computers, trying to revive "Labor Day" to mean something more than just another day to grill hot dogs, to actually represent and remind about an issue.

what will happen when the baby boom generation dies off or disappears into the nursing homes, and the middle class that buys stuff stops buying so much stuff? either there will be an equal number of immigrants to keep America as a consumer market...or China will take over the role. And the two justifications for other nations to keep the dollar solid, is to sell your products here cheaper and to buy oil in dollars. If China becomes the new "largest consumer market"...
Posted: 6/28/2014 9:36:05 AM

No society can sustain this kind of rising inequality.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sure it can and has at least since 3000 B.C.
Guess those guys building the pyramids just enjoyed the work.
He sounds naive to me.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2014 11:29:42 AM
There is a peaceful solution to this. Global unionization thereby giving the people the ability to collectively bargain with employers. Rich and poor alike both are consumers of goods so why should the rich be allowed to take advantage of the poor simply because of wealth?

If someone can make a profit providing these items... Good. But in todays equation those who do the work producing the goods are being underpaid by those who own the factories. Bargaining as a group for better pay and conditions benefits the union members and shifts the balance of financial power back to the producers. Who ultimately, by and large are also the chief consumers of the produced goods.

Is it any wonder the wealthy want to see unions gone?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/28/2014 3:21:22 PM
why should the rich be allowed to take advantage of the poor simply because of wealth?

Because they control the politicians
and the key to a politician's heart, is through his piggy-bank!
 mountinmann
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/28/2014 10:44:51 PM
The government knows very well that the wheels are coming off and that's why they have
militarized the civilian police.

No doubt there is going to be civil strife. You can't wreck a country without a few people
noticing.

Marxism always crashes when they run out of other people's money. The current system is clearly
unsustainable. Open borders with a welfare state is a prescription for financial disaster.

I think the elites have probably engineered the entire deal, and they will provoke the populace until there's
an uprising, which will give them an excuse to thin the herd and impose martial law. Of course, we're already living in
a police state. All that's left is to crank up the gulags and send the secret police to make people vanish.
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2014 11:18:04 PM
Why would the elite ever want to get rid of the middle class? That would be their doom. The poor do no good for the elite, the money people need the middle class to buy their stuff and services, the poor can't. The middle class is what keeps the rich, rich.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2014 11:31:30 PM
Although you are exactly correct about the economics, Dyna, unfortunately for the world, the number of humans who actually both know how to use their brains, and who actually USE them, is tiny.

The normal process for the bulk of human history, has been for the people in power to drive the ship of state onto the rocks, then try to patch the holes they rip in it by using the bodies of the only people on board who know how to steer properly, to try to patch the holes.

Heck, right now, the party of the rich in THIS country, genuinely believes, and has repeatedly announced, that they think that if they just let the left half of the ship to sink to the bottom of the sea, that the right half of the ship will finally right itself and sail on proud and free. It's why they insist that the way to solve poverty, is to eliminate all taxes on anyone making over six figures on investments alone, and require all taxes to be paid by the working class.
 nipoleon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2014 12:30:28 AM
The motto of the U.S.A. is " E Pluribus Unum " ( out of many, one ) , not Caveat Emptor ( let the buyer beware ).
There are still some people who still remember this.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2014 3:42:48 AM

The middle class is what keeps the rich, rich.

Yes, and the struggling to stay middle class that buys so much crap should stop buying crap they dont need to look upper middle class.

But they won't.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/29/2014 12:03:14 PM
"Heck, right now, the party of the rich in THIS country, genuinely believes, and has repeatedly announced, that they think that if they just let the left half of the ship to sink to the bottom of the sea, that the right half of the ship will finally right itself and sail on proud and free. It's why they insist that the way to solve poverty, is to eliminate all taxes on anyone making over six figures on investments alone, and require all taxes to be paid by the working class."
I don't recall seeing this, Igor. Can you provide your source?
 DameWrite
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2014 1:52:24 PM
For those that like crunching numbers...

http://www.epi.org/publication/unequal-states/

For 2014 it's estimated that the top 1% gained over 11% while the rest of us 99% ers lost over 7%.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2014 4:43:21 PM
Oh, but it WAS. exactly the way that the "anti-wealth redistribution" people wanted it to be.
 daynadaze
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2014 5:21:17 PM
I've been waiting for the trickle down theory to happen, hope it hasn't dried up.
 DameWrite
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2014 5:31:43 PM
The "federal" reserve system (america's central bank) has been robbing people for 101 years. How this greedo cartel gets away with their robbery is beyond me. 29 trillion in bailouts!!!

We wouldn't care about the "trickle down effect" (read pee), if we got to keep what we earned instead of financing these criminals.

The "End the Fed" movement seems to be losing momentum. Why can't americans manage to get the fed's audited?

Is everyone asleep? Are the people even aware of this option?

You can be audited anytime they want to. Get someone (outside their control) to audit the real crooks and shut them down!
 Your_Move
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2014 2:30:27 PM

Multi-millionaire Nick Hanauer is no dummy. He sees the writing on the wall.
I'd strongly suggest you read this entire piece titled "The pitchforks are coming . . . for us Plutocrats"

This article is getting around, for sure -- seen multiple people re-post it on Facebook, too. It reads like BS to me, though - I mean, first off, he didn't write this for "his fellow rich" - he wrote this to "the rest of us" 'cause (like most people) he wants people to "hear him"....so how seriously can you take an article that presents itself as something that it isn't? He's preaching at "everyone below $100K" here...he's just trying to be cute about it, like he's a "special insider". Pfft.

Then, the only real solution he offers is to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, nationally. Really? $15/hour still leaves you barely affording a room to rent in places like Manhattan or SanFran...while in rural areas $15/hour means you're a homeowner. And are "pitchfork revolutions" started by people scratching to get by, or are they started by elitists that rabble-rouse and then USE them? Are the people meant to be roused by these sorts of rabble, really the ones that tend to benefit from the pitchforking?
 cotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2014 7:45:31 AM

... raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, nationally. Really? $15/hour still leaves you barely affording a room to rent in places like Manhattan or SanFran...while in rural areas $15/hour means you're a homeowner.
One might be able to afford a home in a rural area on $15/hour but life in a rural area is not necessarily cheap. Groceries are more expensive, travel to and from work can be more costly as most folks work in the city even if they live in a rural area. (Hint ... jobs are not all that plentiful in the rural areas.)
 gtomustang
Msg: 20
everyone gets what they deserve
Posted: 9/15/2014 8:53:19 AM
Back when I had to work for a living, I tried pointing out to people that it wasn't some ethnic group emigrating to the US who were taking their jobs, it was the bosses firing them and replacing them with computers in order to satisfy the shareholders (like me--I was lucky to have $3K saved for college when I was 17 and the stock market crashed). but oh no, the idiots kept buying into the ideology that slit their own throats.

everyone wants to be rich, not to be poor. so, they support programs for the rich, thinking they'll be that way someday. no one wants to accept reality--that they may be poor for some time, unless they do something about it. class consciousness? too dumb to figure it out. the wealthy have little to worry about, they can keep selling political slogans for idiots to stick on the bumper of the new car they can barely afford.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/15/2014 10:17:45 AM

Then, the only real solution he offers is to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, nationally. Really?

Don't you just love it when the far right always uses that $15/hour number for the federal minimum wage, when the only proposal to increase the federal minimum wage is to go from $7.25/hour to $10.10/hour...but then...$7.25 to $15-a more than 100% increase-inflames so many more uninformed people than the actual proposal of $7.25 to $10.10-a 28% increase.
 flyguy51
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/15/2014 10:42:19 AM
^^^ When it comes to the minimum wage issue, there is an obvious disinformation campaign going on. As Bill Maher once satirically put it, "Paying your employees is just one of those annoying costs of doing business..."

The current fast food worker walk outs is a good lesson in what inevitably happens when laborers have had enough of poor treatment. Wage theft is even being exposed in the general consciousness. I have mixed feelings about unions, but it is worth noting that unions have helped to preserve our capitalist system. Without them, Marx's predictions would be proven correct. Anti-union types would have you believe that unions work against the benefits of capitalism.
 Strings6
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2014 6:23:46 PM
I have always found the notion that a nation of obese couch potatoes will all of a sudden turn into fearsome tough street fighters amusing at best,sure some fit that description and they will be blown away like so much dust and the rest will dragged away from their toys and put to work probably.....now perhaps after months or years at hard labor with no TV Pizza or Beer they may transform themselves.......who knows.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2014 7:35:39 PM
Msg 25. Unions are the only thing stopping the mega wealthy from total control of wages and work conditions.They also set the bar for wages and workplace compensation by the collective bargaining process. Yes, unions have money. Yes, unions use their money to help politicians who help working people. Yes, the unions funding comes from it's members. Money from working, organized people wanting to better their lives and work conditions. Money from people who also vote and tell others who is for, and against them.

It's unfortunate it is this way but that is how our Govt. seems to work. Money buys influence. Influence with the right politicos can make them see your point of view. The laws can then be crafted to favor those who helped said politican get elected. The rich want unions gone so they can buy ALL of the politicians. Once unions are gone, it won't take much to return the country back to the days of the industrial revolution. Just like the rich would want. Of course, this is just my opinion learned through observance and experience.
 Dee4166
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2014 1:31:43 PM
The only potential non-violent "solution" that I see is a flat rate of income tax, across the board with NO deductions/tax shelters.
You pay a percentage of your worth/income and the percentage is the SAME as everyone else's.
Of COURSE there's NOT many of the 1% who would actually AGREE to that...but that's MY "fantasy solution"
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > A Rich Guy Warns His Fellows