Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HorizonMind
Msg: 1
questionPage 1 of 1    
Well I am an atheist. My question is how do word this in my profile. I currently have it worded like this on what I am looking for " A non-religious like me or someone who won't push their religious beliefs on me because we have the right to believe in whatever we want."
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 2
question
Posted: 7/13/2014 8:38:04 AM
Just put non-religious in that space at the top, and don't get into this stuff in your profile text. This is better discussed once you start messaging someone, if that subject comes up. If not, then you can talk about it after you meet.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
question
Posted: 7/13/2014 10:46:21 AM
Anything that you put in your profile, should be written from the starting point of what you are trying to accomplish by saying it. Not so much what you imagine people will think when reading it, because you would have to BE them to be able to guess their thinking correctly. And if you were them, then...anyway it goes in circles from there.

As for the Atheist label itself, that can be problematic. Unfortunately, there are lots of people who think Atheist means hatred of all things religious, and so I would stay away from that, or any other similar label.

The question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to let people know where your sensitivities are ahead of time, or do you want to wait until later to let them find out? How sensitive are you about it all? That sort of thing.

One thing is certain, no matter what you say or how you say it, some people are going to read it and "get you," and some wont. So make sure that YOU feel it's a fair representation of what you are about, and stop there.
question
Posted: 7/13/2014 11:23:31 AM
You dont go into all that mess in a profile.
So If a woman that happened to have faith in something, and NOT shove it down your throat is off your radar?

Thats ridiculous.

I think I could def live without screaming WWJD? in someones face.
I can assure anyone I certainly don't do what he would do a LOT.

An atheist that has to FLY their flag and rant about non atheist is as unpleasant to be around as a person of faith that shoves THEIR beliefs down everyone's throat.
Hear me on that people. Its unattractive, annoying as hell and just as rude.

Leave it out. You check your box and let it go for the profile.

Its to hard to find someone you click with to let that get in the way imo.
If you plan on kids, you certainly want a somewhat similar faith or non faith ( I assume) to just make it easy on the kids.
Are you prospecting for mommies?
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
question
Posted: 7/13/2014 12:05:25 PM
See how atheists get tossed into a label? LOL Seriously, if you don't mind people who are religious but just don't want to be forced toward their beliefs, just use non-religious. If you have no desire to hear the word of their god, then put atheist.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 6
question
Posted: 7/13/2014 10:14:15 PM
I agree. why the need to talk about it at all?
just put it in your religious preference. Who cares what they think, and they probably don't care what you think on the issue too.
 HorizonMind
Msg: 7
question
Posted: 7/13/2014 11:45:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your help and your time to answer my question. I wasn't sure if bit should've or shouldn't put that on there because on rare occasions when I meet someone we get into a conversation about it, they make it seem like I am a bad person because of my beliefs and I take my beliefs seriously, but anyway I greatly appreciate all your responses.
 cotter
Msg: 8
view profile
History
question
Posted: 8/4/2014 7:56:17 PM
This is a touchy question. I know folks in here who write they are "non-religious" and in fact are quite religious and are waiting until they get to know someone really well before they mention it. I think that's as solid as a lie.

I try to make it clear within my first couple of contacts that I have lived long enough to know ... FOR CERTAIN ... that I am not interested in any way, shape, or form in anyone who is not on the same page with their religion as I am. I've tried it enough times to know that for me it will not work and I have no interest in wasting any time with someone who doesn't fit that description.

I know one in particular that is so embarrassed of their religion (especially right now) that they have confessed that they're afraid to put it in their profile and want to choose the right moment to reveal it. Let's hope it will be revealed before any wedding should occur.
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
question
Posted: 8/4/2014 9:19:47 PM
The problem I've had with non-religious is that then people think you either need them to lead you, or they tell you that you are spiritual, etc. all of which I am not.
question
Posted: 8/9/2014 11:08:22 AM
Yes...sadly, you can't just describe yourself as non-religious, atheist, agnostic, or independently spiritual...etc. Because of the war between the demon of religion and the rest of humanity, even the basic information and understanding of what it's all about and what it all means is one of the most violent battlegrounds, stained with all kinds of deceptions and misinformation. One often finds that there is a need to provide more of an explanation and/or have some discussion, instead of just state a label for oneself.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 11
question
Posted: 8/9/2014 7:32:10 PM
@OP

The term "non religious" is deceiving;
It is not a substitute for Atheist, as there are many pple out there who do believe in GOD but who are non-religious about it or don't belong to any organized religion.

Unless you are ashamed of being an Atheist
My suggestion is: say what you mean about yourself, and mean what you say!
There are plenty of female Atheists out there, who share your ideals.

It is highly unlikely that an active practitioner of a religious organization, will join up with an Atheist as a potential mate; so you should have nothing to worry about (if you are honest about who you say you are)in meeting up with someone who will possibly be looking to push "their beliefs down your throat". Many such women will never put themselves in your company(no insult intended), and will just scroll past your site once they see your religious "status".
question
Posted: 8/11/2014 1:49:20 PM
Example: ^ If you believe in god (or believe there isn't one), then you're already religious. So it makes no sense to say that someone can believe in god but not be religious about it.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 13
question
Posted: 8/11/2014 10:48:30 PM
^

(or believe there isn't one), then you're already religious.

While I could certainly understand why an Atheist can get passionate about his/her position
But what truly makes no sense is how someone can be 'religious' about something that they hold no belief in whatsoever.
 selyemcsiklo
Msg: 14
question
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:56:22 PM
If you are willing to date someone who is religious, but not a fanatic, I'd leave the phrase "atheist" out. It's like smoking-non smoking. If you are a smoker, you automatically assume that no non-smoker is willing to date you.

If you are NOT willing to date someone because they are not atheists themselves, then put that in. While it will turn most women off, since most people are religious christians, it will be a stronger attractant to those who get titillated by dating a fellow atheist.

---------------------------------

For me, first and foremost, anything goes (atheist, religious, devil worshipper, a hittitite, a Hitlerite, kkk member, Islamic Nation member, Jewish Worldwide Federation member, or Black Panther member) as long as they are total drop-dead gorgeous women. The less attractive they slide on the scale, the more discerning I become with regard to their other qualities. I would date my grandmother, for instance, if she was a billionaire, would lavish me with earthly pleasures, feed me with grapes, change my diapers, feed me with gold and silver, she were intellectually bouyant and complex, interesting, funny as all get out, and we had the same taste in art and literature.

Unfortunately she stopped doing all that beyond my age seven, she started to distance her tastes and preferences from mine. While she had been willing and excited to laugh with me and read me Snowhite and the Seven Dwarves up to ten times in a row when I was four, she would not read me aloud the pictures in my favourite Swank Hustler catalogues when I was fourteen.
 ButtercupBubbleBum
Msg: 15
question
Posted: 8/31/2014 7:42:07 PM
you say, "I'm an atheist" like other people say "I'm Muslim" or "I'm Christian"
 Double Cabin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
question
Posted: 9/3/2014 10:10:53 AM
As far as anyone actually knows [not "believes"] religions are institutions of mortals, not deities. One can certainly believe in a higher power and not be religious.

Religion has long proven to be humankind's most divisive creation. Even while maintaining devotion many of us can get beyond the exclusion of institution to the humanity of inclusion.

OP, women are our greatest joy. Remember there are far to many jewels among them to waste a moment of preoccupation on the ones that are incarcerated by convention and can't love us for who we actually are. Don't begrudge their desire for the structure of exclusion. If someone judges you negatively and ultimately excludes you for your honesty the best thing to do is simply wish them luck and get on with your own life. There are far to many wonderful waters of womankind to stagnate in the ones of pointless expectation.

"Just say no to negativity."
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 17
question
Posted: 9/16/2014 9:46:51 AM
I'm Agnostic, and I also have labeled my questions of belief and believing as "non-religious." Easy. Nothing more needs to be said. You can privately screen for like profiles, and take the conversation, from there. It's what I do, and I manage with whom I have conversations, albeit very delicately.
 John255317
Msg: 18
question
Posted: 9/16/2014 7:15:02 PM
OP, everyone is different. For me, I would just as soon know if a woman is an atheist because if she is, I have no interest. For others, it may not be that cut and dried. It is like everything else, we all have our likes and dislikes. For sure, I wouldn't ignore talking about it for too long because that is deceiving others.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 19
question
Posted: 9/17/2014 6:57:31 AM
It's odd, it's never really come up on a first, second or third date "what religion are you??". I did have a date with one fellow that wanted me to go to church with him, he also was divorced 3 times and had one long term live-in relationship, he also wanted to know how many dates we had to have before I had sex with him.....and he knocked me because I wouldn't go to church with him. It takes all kinds to make up this crazy old world.

I don't care what religion someone is, I'm pretty open minded and my vast list of friends and folks I hang out with are a broad mixture - some go to church, some believe but don't go to church, atheists, native Canadian, Buddhists, Muslims, etc. I don't judge (I let the christians do that, lol).

For a partner? I don't much care, he can do his thing and I'll do mine. I don't discard someone because of religion, it is such a minor part of a great relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > question