Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > FDA Deems Inflammation a “Disease”      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 satx78218
Msg: 1
view profile
History
FDA Deems Inflammation a “Disease”Page 1 of 1    
When high-dollar pharmaceutical companies have new drugs in the works, they wouldn’t want any supplements or affordable natural solutions to have any impact on their corner of the market. So, what’s Big Pharma to do? Maybe pull some strings with regulators in an effort to get the competition out of the way. This may be what’s happening with a recent move by the Food and Drug Administration to remove anti-inflammatory supplements from the shelves.

As reported by the Alliance For Natural Health (ANH), the FDA issued at least 10 warning letters last year to supplement companies for making claims about their products’ abilities to affect the body’s natural method of protection and healing—inflammation. Further, another 150 companies were contacted about the use of inflammation-based claims.

As ANH explains, inflammation is a natural response from the human body, a response designed to protect the body from harm—whether it’s in the form of pathogens or injuries. As an example, when you sprain your ankle, inflammation causes the tissue to swell, cushioning the injury and protecting it from further harm while it begins the healing process.

Claiming a supplement affects this natural process is not a statement of disease, which is what the FDA alleges.

In the FDA’s warning letters, the organization has suggested that supplement-makers are making “implied disease claims” when they talk about any effects their products may have on inflammation. The FDA said any mention of inflammation must be considered a disease claim, something supplement companies are barred from.

http://naturalsociety.com/fda-deems-inflammation-disease-protects-big-pharma-interests/#ixzz38sxJAcjM

Ginger, curcumin, capsaicin, Boswellin, etc, etc, this would mean vendors could not mention they are anti-inflammatory, reserving all anti-inflammatory claims exclusively for BigPharma's patented drugs.
FDA Deems Inflammation a “Disease”
Posted: 7/29/2014 7:45:20 PM

Because they have been experimenting with a new drug that is supposed to lower inflammation in the body.
I'm NOT talking about anti inflammatory medication on the shelves or in a current Rx for pain and such.
Lord forbid we eat some fruit like pineapple/papaya, have ginger tea, omega 3 rich foods and veggies.

Dry eyes and * hoo holla's* is also a disease now.
Sells drugs.You know the deal.
 satx78218
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2014 9:32:23 AM
"they have been experimenting with a new drug that is supposed to lower inflammation in the body"

There are already lots of OTC and patent drugs that reduce inflammation, including good old plant-derived aspirin.
Posted: 7/31/2014 9:16:53 PM
^^^^^^^^ I am aware of such things that are available now.

Doctors and the pharmaceutical companies along with the pubic are becoming aware that inflammation in the body is causing disease, its time for a new drug to market with this information.

I'm NOT talking about anti inflammatory medication on the shelves or in a current Rx for pain and such.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Miss that?
 DrSnore
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/24/2016 12:52:03 PM
How could that be? When I was in dental school, we were taught that inflammation is a natiral part of the healing process!
 SLAFFA
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/30/2017 1:13:50 PM
I'm not knocking ALL meds for ALL people...

However, I find it increasingly distressing that my brother, sister and I (4 years apart) are the only people I know of over 40ish who are not popping at least one pill a day if not a handful for one ailment or another.

We (the US) lost our crown as fattest nation on the planet to Mexico 2 or 3 years ago. (unless we have retaken it?

But we are still THE most OVERmedicated nation and probably increasing our lead by the minute.

I would like to think that the FDA is a "good" thing and does more good than harm.

Never hurts to dream.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/31/2017 6:32:35 AM
@ OP

Ginger, curcumin, capsaicin, Boswellin, etc, etc, this would mean vendors could not mention they are anti-inflammatory, reserving all anti-inflammatory claims exclusively for BigPharma's patented drugs.

Which would now force them to do the necessary studies needed to back up their claims...rather than just make off the cuff statements about their products.

This is not a bad thing; I would wanna know if the anti-inflammatory properties of these agents are as good as those in aspirin or ibuprofen...with or without any ill-effects.

It would be a benefit to everyone...both vender and consumer.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > FDA Deems Inflammation a “Disease”