Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review Kerplunked      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kerplunked
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Profile Review KerplunkedPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hello there,
Could some kind person review my profile and tell me what they think of it.
I think it would be good to get feedback from someone who doesn't know me.
I'd like feedback on the photos and the profile text please.

Thanks.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 2
Profile Review Kerplunked
Posted: 8/23/2014 6:49:54 PM

I don't really 'get' people who aren't big on music.
but generally there is at least a possibility of drunken debauchery arriving at some point.
This is a boring section, you may want to skip this bit.
(go me!) certainly before I'm an old fart
It's over, please continue.
see if we have anything in common

All of the above is negative and should be removed. Nobody wants to date a negative guy. The best profiles are well written, upbeat and interesting, with a dash of humor. Your profile is an advertisement to attract the type of woman you want to date.

What matters more than anything when it comes to your online dating profile? One word: Photos. Photos can drastically increase your chances of getting more communication and dates. Or not.

“In fact, profiles with smiling photos are nine times more likely to get communication. Use your photos as a primary tool to express who you are, what you love to do, where you love to go and what type of lifestyle you lead.” (From “The Most Successful Online Dating Profile Photos Revealed” by EHarmony.)

You have 8 seconds to make a good impression. Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and appealing. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

The psychology is that if you look happy in your photos, women will see you as a fun person they will enjoy being around.

To make you stand out, the background should contrast with your hair color. For better photos, choose a background that is clean and uncluttered.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cell phone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling.

Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Ask a friend to take 24 pictures of you outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8. Caption and date each photo-giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.
 Forums_only
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/23/2014 8:16:14 PM
It's pretty generic.

A great main photo is a shoulders up smiling head shot. Let someone else take it.

The Interests are all pretty much generic, too. Instead, why not a couple of specific examples for a few?

Same with the profile body - it's OK, but I get you could add some quirk and humour.

Why be generic when you can show personality?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/24/2014 5:47:35 AM
Hi John
You open with a negative.. plus you didn't say what type of music you are into. You play as in have the radio on or are you a musician?
The white out face picture is unsettling. Plus too far away to be of real use. Plus plus - you certainly like plaid shirts!
Do you consider yourself a young ( ish) fart?
Quite random, a bit about your boy, a bit about music, you want her to be happy you msged.
Header has been used a lot.
 kerplunked
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2014 1:12:15 PM
I see the point about the negatives. I've paraphrase it and added a little detail.
 tennistown
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/27/2014 12:00:13 PM

I'd like feedback on the photos .......

Most people use the "Main" photo as the most recent/flattering.
Say! That's one nice plaid shirt. The photo looks fine.

Then

Your second photo, shows you wearing that same shirt.
And holding hands with your date from the love-fest Turkey trip.

Finally

Your third picture, you appear to be in bed? Showcasing those beckoning bedroom eyes,
wearing yet again, yep, that same plaid shirt!

Now It could be,
you abrasively wear out relationships faster than your wardrobe. Not good.
Or
You're on the rebound from the lovely Turkey lady. Still, not good.

I suggest two things.

One plaid picture is plenty.
And
Don't show up on your first meet,
wearing that same
(very nice)
plaid shirt.
 kerplunked
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2014 5:33:47 PM
That's a very good point about the shirt.

I love that shirt! I did actually buy it in Turkey as it happens.
It is in very good condition as I have quite a lot of clothes.
It's probably one of my favourite 2 or 3 shirts for hot weather,
but point taken. Could do with mixing it up a little.

HOWEVER,

My friend said the first date section was BORING and showed no personality.
CHECKOUT THE NEW VERSION!!!!!
 kerplunked
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2014 5:50:28 PM
I have injected some personality into the new 'first date' section.
Take a look ;)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/27/2014 5:53:23 PM
I looked
Might appeal to someone
" controlled??"
oh, word of the freakin day
EGADS
Is that supposed to be a panty remover.. controlled?????
John, you haven't changed the pictures either.. my fav shirt says " EFF OFF I have enuff friends"
but I save that for 5th date
 kerplunked
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2014 5:59:10 PM
Edads or egadz, one of my favourite words.
It is intended to be humorous - obv.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/27/2014 6:18:09 PM
There are only 5 funny people on the Net who get humor
most you have to spell it out or come with subtitles
Most women will shudder when they read that word
Control, not Egads, who can't enjoy saying that? LOL
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/28/2014 3:08:19 AM
From the main and 2nd photos I thought you were a lot older. I think you need to get some better photos that don't cast you in such a light. SMILE. Get rid of the photo with your ex wife in Turkey. Nice shoes but why do you need to show a pic of them?

I thought it was all OK until I saw the first date section... WTF? Egads, nobody is going to read all of that! Controlled experiments... doesn't sound very romantic. In fact it sounds like you're meeting as many as possible in order to do some kind of scientific survey. get rid of all this stuff, it's a sense of humour failure.
 Forums_only
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/28/2014 6:54:36 AM
Actually, it made me laugh... but I'm weird that way.

Still need a great smiling head shot and more specific Interests.
 kerplunked
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2014 9:22:17 AM
Well I have a new photo up, with a different shirt on.
I could do with a better head.
 kerplunked
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2014 12:08:44 PM
I have put a brand new head shot up and I'm after some feedback please?
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/5/2014 1:41:46 PM
LOL, I don't think you actually need to post a caption under your picture, "This is my head", unless you have someone else's head on your shoulders?

Do you by any chance prefer to not smile in photos ? It would nice if you could smile, but that is just my opinion.
The rest of your profile is fairly good, not bad, not awesome.
Be positive, and patient. Things do not move at the speed of light in on-line dating sites, in spite of the assumption of some. More like a "crawl".
 2015LadyLove
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/5/2014 2:08:25 PM
The most handsome thing a man can wear is a smile :)

It's missing from your main picture and it's your first and last impression as a woman passes your profile by, or not.
 Forums_only
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/5/2014 7:21:51 PM

I have put a brand new head shot up and I'm after some feedback please?

This would've been SO much better with a big smile, or even a grin. Too bad.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/7/2014 1:40:22 AM
I can't complain about smiles, as Ive not posted my smile photos, publicly. But I agree with the other posters; you should don a smile in at least your main profile photo. Like me, you look very contemplative, which to me is unusually attracting -- for many others, it really is detracting. You are attractive -- I'll give you that. I suggest you do include a smiling photo of you, if you seek improved results.
 kerplunked
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2014 12:52:03 PM
Thank you for the comments. I will work very hard on getting a photo with a smile in. I think the contemplative look may be a good look for me however...
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/9/2014 2:47:30 PM
Hi John, certainly not terrible, you have avoided negativity, and for the most part redundancy, that is always a good start.

However, I have NO idea who you are, just things you enjoy. Try to incorporate at least 2 UNIQUE (not assumed givens) personality traits for both you and the woman you seek.

open, honest, caring and loving

The above are assumed gives, therefore worthless for a profile. Unless of course I am wrong and you actually know someone looking for a closed, dishonest, uncaring, unloving woman? If you do then I stand corrected,and by all means keep it, otherwise choose traits not everybody seeks.

Best wishes

Jerry
 kerplunked
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:19:53 PM
Well I've rewritten the profile text from scratch. Not sure if its too short, ot the tone is wrong or the humour is misplaced.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:51:37 PM
Hi John, there isn't necessarily anything wrong with short, in a way it speaks to ones personality.

However, it still needs to have the needed information to help a woman connect with you.

I guess there is always the chance music could cause that to happen, but I suggest not putting all of your eggs in that one tiny basket. Tell them what makes John John!

Have you seen the profile tips at the top of the page in green? If not take some time to read them, they are very helpful.

If that doesn't help go read my profile, that should help as well.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Ouija2025
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:30:58 PM
Well Duh, how will they ever know the word plethora without you being condescending?
A bunch of people have told you the Main is rather foreboding, yet you opt not to change it
So.. a brooding Man with a sparse profile
You like music, yet no insight re what music
You cop to using Employer time to search out said mystery music
I find by page 2 we generally done
Best of luck
 kerplunked
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:57:07 PM
The plethora thing was humour.
I didn't cop to using employer time to search out music, that is your misinterpretation. I was just indicating
outside the office I don't live and breath for IT.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review Kerplunked