Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Yet another review!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 michael88111
Msg: 1
Yet another review!Page 1 of 1    
I've been around on this site a while and once had success. I'm trying to attract people interested in long-term that are intelligent and have already figured out what they want from life and a relationship.

Any critique would be heavily appreciated. Feel free to be as abrasive as you wish!
 Forums_only
Msg: 2
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/25/2014 9:41:39 PM
Just a few minor suggestions...

SMILE in your main photo, even you're faking it. We won't know the difference and I bet it will make your eyes just sparkle. As a woman who loves to fish, I appreciated fishing photos in a man's profile - shows he put his money where is mouth was, so to speak. Those that don't like or appreciate fishing would probably not be a good match for you anyway.

You could easily add a couple of more specific Interests in that field. A favourite food or cuisine? Sport you play/team you follow? "DIY"? Music group/genre/artist? Author? Specifics help give an idea of personality and humour.

You could group the information on gardening together in one paragraph, and the info about the house and repairs in another. As it is now, it's a bit scattered. But - really good effort.

Why not add a line, something like: " The lady I'd like to meet would consider herself intelligent, have already got some goals in mind, know basically what she wants in life and is emotionally available for a great guy". Although you will be doing 99.9999% of the initial messaging, you never know who just may be brave enough to initiate contact if they feel you may be a good match. Give her the clues.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 3
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/26/2014 5:00:32 PM
I agree that a smile is necessary. It's a free and instant way to become more attractive.

The caption on the third photo says you don't drink anymore, but the drinking question says "socially".

I don't expect anyone to get excited about computers. Unless you bring it up, I'll try to not mention it.
Right after you say this, you start talking about how good you are with computers. No shame in liking computers and I find no reason for you to make a disclaimer about it. But if you make a promise to not bring up a topic, then don't bring it up.
 michael88111
Msg: 4
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/26/2014 10:19:10 PM
I guess I need some work on the pictures. I do indeed have a very hard time showing a smile. I don't know that any picture exists of me actually smiling. Considering the review, that's obviously a requirement and I'm going to force myself to smile and have some good pictures taken. Thanks to all three of you for making this sink in. I opted to keep only the work one because it was the only not bad review. I'll definitely focus on this.

After reading it with your view point, the whole mention of talking about what I love feels a bit pessimistic.

I didn't even notice the contradiction between the alcohol consumption. It probably, accurately, reflects my relationship with it. Thanks for making this clear to me. I definitely need to either enjoy drinking or cut it out entirely. I actually intended that picture to be funny by chugging a massive bottle and holding a fancy glass. It obviously missed the mark, and possibly for the better.

I had NO idea that this description of a garden indicated growing pot. That was... I had no idea.

I understand the mention of interests coming in three now that you mention it. Because they're listed in columns of three, it actually does balance it out quite well.

I really hope I've taken everything into consideration that the three of you amazing people have mentioned. If I missed something, bat me across the head! It's all clearly great advice! I had no idea that forums on a dating site could be so helpful! Not just with the profile, but you also shed light on the way I've been thinking about some things. THANK YOU!!!!
 michael88111
Msg: 5
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/26/2014 10:21:38 PM
If you'd be willing to re-proof what I wrote and see if I did anything silly, it would be appreciated. The pictures will come when I have something that I feel takes into consideration all you have said and shows me actually smiling.
 jukebox_cowboy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/26/2014 10:30:38 PM
Get rid of paragraphs 3 and 4. They are more like a home improvement blog and a gardening blog.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 7
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/26/2014 11:12:03 PM
What matters more than anything when it comes to your online dating profile? One word: Photos. Photos can drastically increase your chances of getting more communication and dates. Or not.

“In fact, profiles with smiling photos are nine times more likely to get communication. Use your photos as a primary tool to express who you are, what you love to do, where you love to go and what type of lifestyle you lead.” (From “The Most Successful Online Dating Profile Photos Revealed” by EHarmony.)

Want to completely kill any chances of success? Then upload blurry, dark or poor quality images. This seems like an obvious statement, but thousands of people upload pics like this.

You have 8 seconds to make a good impression. Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and appealing. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

The psychology is that if you look happy in your photos, women will see you as a fun person they will enjoy being around.

To make you stand out, the background should contrast with your hair color. For better photos, choose a background that is clean and uncluttered.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cell phone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling.

Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Ask a friend to take 24 pictures of you outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8. Caption and date each photo-giving the location and year- to make the photos more interesting and clear.
 Forums_only
Msg: 8
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/26/2014 11:15:57 PM
For me, the DIY and gardening information was well-written, descriptive, lightly humoured and most important, memorable. That's the whole point. Some young women won't read it all, but do you really want to meet someone who can't focus or a whole minute ?

The only thing that I had to read twice was the foreclosure line - I'm pretty sure you meant you bought a house in foreclosure, not that you let YOUR house go into foreclosure. Right?
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 9
Yet another review!
Posted: 8/27/2014 1:48:11 AM
Pics, yeah they already told you about them... get better ones :)

I would suggest you add more interests, and change the order of the ones you have. The ones you write first show up in the browser title. So it says "michael8111 computers ..." which isn't the best.

You enjoy hunting and try to be sensitive to those that don't... this seems a bit forced to me. Seems like you're trying to cover your bases, ie. I like hunting but don't be put off by that. Fact is, if she doesn't like hunting, she WILL be put off by it whether you are sensitive to her taste or not. Better to be more confident in yourself and remove that part.

A lot of stuff about what you've fixed on the house... wouldn't it be better to state how awesome it is now? I think that would be more attractive.

Your paragraph about the gal you're looking for, better to write in the second person rather than 3rd. That is, say "you" rather than "she" or "they". It draws the reader in more, and makes an instant connection.
 michael88111
Msg: 10
Yet another review!
Posted: 9/9/2014 8:21:19 PM
I finally have some new pictures! One didn't turn out as well as I hoped it would, but I definitely think this is an improvement. Thanks again for helping me not just build a better profile, but also take a more critical look at myself.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 11
Yet another review!
Posted: 9/9/2014 8:35:27 PM

I've been around on this site a while and once had success.

Me too.

"Glory days
Yeah, they'll pass you by
Glory days"

I'm trying to attract people interested in long-term that are intelligent and have already figured out what they want from life and a relationship.

Don Quixote would be proud.

Best advice I can give you is to keep using as much humor as possible and hope it gets appreciated as much as it once was.
Best of luck.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 12
Yet another review!
Posted: 9/10/2014 5:34:16 AM
Your profile as it stands is wonderful. Of course, our profiles are works-in-progress, and they change as we do.

I wish you well in your search. You're are goal-oriented, stable, and you're looking for something serious. I can't say that I've come across men's profiles from men within my age group that come close to yours in seriousness and in depth. You may not have heaps of messages, but that's okay -- anything serious and worth having is worth of all of the effort you've put into your profile and your life.

Best wishes.
 Ainen
Msg: 13
Yet another review!
Posted: 9/10/2014 6:16:37 AM
Looks great.

As you get opportunities for photos of you outside in your region, add local photos. Currently both outside photos are in DC. How about asking a friend to snap photos of you in your garden? Pose in front of a photogenic spot on a local outdoor trip.

I don't think the "blurry" photo is blurry. It's clearer than most people's photos on this site.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Yet another review!