Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does it mean when a girl reads your message but doesn't delete i      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tinmac
Msg: 1
What does it mean when a girl reads your message but doesn't delete it or respond to it?Page 1 of 1    
It's really simple. I have messaged some girls and it says they have read it. But They haven't deleted it or messaged me back. If they haven't messaged me back then why don't they delete it? Are they holding it and just thinking if they should respond or not?

Also to any girl that reads this could you do me a favor and look at my profile and tell me if it sucks or if it's ok. I could use a good review. Thanks.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 2
What does it mean when a girl reads your message but doesn't delete it or respond to it?
Posted: 9/3/2014 8:46:40 AM
When my profile was still active (it's been hidden now for weeks), I would get quite a few messages every day. I would speed-click and read most of them but never bothered to delete them because I was too lazy lol. After a while, the system purges them automatically, so why bother doing it myself. I never even remembered who messaged me a day earlier, because I was already flooded with new messages that kept me busy. Only if someone really blew me away would I respond, and I would do that right away, not several days later. In your case, it's safe to assume that they weren't interested. Sorry.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 3
What does it mean when a girl reads your message but doesn't delete it or respond to it?
Posted: 9/3/2014 9:48:03 AM
Dont over think it, boo boo. It doesnt mean anything. Concentrate on the women that do write back, not the ones that dont. As for your profile, its pretty bad. Nothing your wrote sounds appealing, you dont know what you want.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/3/2014 10:06:34 AM
It means you need to stop thinking about it and move on.
 sunsetsam
Msg: 5
What does it mean when a girl does ANYTHING ? LOL
Posted: 9/3/2014 10:16:35 AM
Stop checking to see if it's been read or not.

Focus on the reply, forget the rest.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/3/2014 10:33:13 AM
It depends on the volume of messages. If I get a few messages, I read it if the main pic looks good, if not, delete without reading it. If I open and read it, and didn't like it, I'm gonna check my other messages before I start deleting. Sometimes I do not delete just because the message was mediocre so if someone doesn't come along with something better, I might just reply.

Sometimes I read messages just to avoid having an badge on my phone telling me I have a message. That sort of thing happens when I delete messages without reading, which I do often. If I'm annoyed by the badge, I'll open the message and delete, just to avoid the annoying number of messages on the top.

As for your profile, just go to profile reviews, this is not the forum for it.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/3/2014 1:11:18 PM
It means the e-mail was opened. It doesn't mean she read it. And if she doesn't delete it or respond to it, for whatever reason, it's none of your business.
It is better you keep your focus on the people who write back to you.

Want a profile review? Go to the profile review forums.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/3/2014 1:45:02 PM

It means they developed an immediate paralysis in their hands after they read your message, and are desperately searching for a cure in order to answer you...

Or

They weren't impressed with you and your message and are too lazy to delete it.
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2014 2:03:48 PM
They disappear on their own after a bit, it means nothing, most likely they just scan them or they don't even check their mail.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2014 2:34:27 PM

Are they holding it and just thinking if they should respond or not?

do you really want to date someone who's not even sure whether you're worth the energy needed to write and send an email?
 Ainen
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/3/2014 4:01:16 PM
As others said, treat it as not interested.

The only time I go to sent messages is immediately after sending the message. This is to verify the message was sent. Might have been an error without an error message.

As a previous poster said, some uninterested people just let messages expire.

Here are several other reasons:

- Not interested, but thinks it's most kind to let the message expire so the paying sender doesn't get upset by seeing deleted.

- The recipient had limited time, for example lunch break at work. Read the message to make sure it wasn't an invitation to an event that evening. If they don't reply within 36 hours, likely not interested.

- The recipient focuses on one person at a time, but is not in an exclusive state. Confident the current best prospect might work, but won't delete in case the current person doesn't work out. Don't get your hopes up!

The above three are things I do, but I'm a guy and don't know if any girls operate the same way. As others said, it doesn't matter why. Treat it as no response and find other people to message!

One girl on here replied 18 days after I sent the first message. On the OK site, where messages don't expire, one gal took many months to reply. Her reply was "I agree". I had deleted the conversation long before, didn't remember what I wrote, and did not respond.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2014 4:58:58 PM
If they don't respond they arn't interested, that's that really.

If you want your profile reviewed go to the profile review forum, there are friendly people who can give you excellent advice on how to get the most out of your profile :)

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum94.aspx
 south_city
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/4/2014 7:03:20 AM
There can be exceptions. But most likely, it means not interested.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/4/2014 1:44:03 PM
It only means they opened the message, doesn't even mean the read it.

POF auto deletes mail after something like 20 days so many people don't take on the task of keeping the inbox clean.

Only concern yourself with those who reply.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/4/2014 8:47:45 PM
Maybe her inbox is like a roach motel.

She keeps all her rejects around because they provide her with a perverse sense of ego gratification.
 gtomustang
Msg: 16
What does it mean when a girl does something but its not what i want
Posted: 9/5/2014 7:21:52 AM
see, if a fella doesn't delete it, there's a logical reason.

His hand's too busy to reach the keyboard.
 WilliamVFX
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2015 5:13:23 PM
Hi Irishgirl, if u have a minute i would love your review/feeback on my profile like you gave to the gentlemen above. Most ladies i send messages to read&delete them. I have no idea what they want to read as a first message. I say more than just "Hi or Hello," I ask a question that related to their interests, especially if it's a mutual interest. simple.
 Housh1
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/30/2015 9:56:20 PM
It means the same thing as when you do it.

They aren't interested

Try one more time or move on
 Siestabeachlover
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/1/2015 3:45:31 PM
Funny how most comments are from men. Anyway, it could be that something on your profile flags you as incompatible, smoking, drinking, children.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does it mean when a girl reads your message but doesn't delete it or respond to it?