Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Looking for some constructive input on my profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Glade_Runner
Msg: 1
Looking for some constructive input on my profile Page 1 of 1    
Hey,

I'm interested in getting some outside opinion on my profile: what looks good, what could be improved, should it be more focused. Any input is appreciated :)

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=72093416
 jukebox_cowboy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Looking for some constructive input on my profile
Posted: 9/11/2014 8:47:16 PM
Pics and profile are good. Change wants to date but nothing serious to wanting a relationship.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/12/2014 1:30:57 AM
It's pretty good, just a couple of things.

IMO the photos look better when they fit onto one row which means a limit of 7. I'd get rid of the shirtless one, although it's "in context" it is against site rules and can get your profile deleted. Plus some women automatically pass on a profile with shirtless pics.

Your "what I'm looking for" will most likely cause most to pass you by. Nobody really wants to get involved with someone who won't be around in a year. You've already said you're looking for "dating" so I don't think you need this paragraph at all. It's something that can be discussed in person.

Un-bold the last part, it draws the eye too much.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/12/2014 2:06:48 AM
Pics and profile are good. Change wants to date but nothing serious to wanting a relationship.

He should only do this if he really does want a relationship. I don't think he should lie to somebody for their attention. He should be able to take responsibility for his choices and respect people's boundaries and wishes. (Of course, that is a lot to ask from some PoF users (in general and not necessarily the OP)... But still, it needs to be addressed.)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/12/2014 6:08:22 AM
You spoke clearly about what you are looking for - that said I don't know many women just want short term. But you are super handsome so you have that in your favor.
Don't like the Header
First date is too rambling, say what you have planned
Are you leaving Deadmonton at a certain date or is it more a long term goal?
Zillions of places to meet women real time there
Remove the " sexy" from the text
Add your name
 Forums_only
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/12/2014 8:10:54 AM

He should only do this if he really does want a relationship. I don't think he should lie to somebody for their attention. He should be able to take responsibility for his choices and respect people's boundaries and wishes.

I completely agree. "Looking for a relationship" is completely misleading as it's truly not the intent in this case. Smart women will read between the lines and if they're up for short term casual stuff, they'll respond. Don't waste someone's time if you have no intent on being around. Honesty is better than giving faint hope she could possibly change your mind and you'd be suddenly overcome by the urge to stay in Edmonton. It's Edmontont, for God's sake.
 Glade_Runner
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/12/2014 9:05:36 AM

I'd get rid of the shirtless one, although it's "in context" it is against site rules and can get your profile deleted.

Isn't that sort of a double standard? I've seen lots of female profiles where they're wearing swimsuits, and it doesn't appear to get people banned from what I've noticed. It's frustrating in that it doesn't appear that what the intent of that particular rule is meant to address. Granted, it probably turns some people off immediately, but on the same side, it's attracted several people as well.
 Forums_only
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/12/2014 9:12:05 AM
It's all about the nipples. I'm sure guys would be just thrilled to let women post shirtless photos, but yes, it's considered tacky.
 Glade_Runner
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/12/2014 9:15:45 AM

He should only do this if he really does want a relationship. I don't think he should lie to somebody for their attention. He should be able to take responsibility for his choices and respect people's boundaries and wishes.

I completely agree. "Looking for a relationship" is completely misleading as it's truly not the intent in this case.
Don't waste someone's time if you have no intent on being around.

^This was one of the issues I was trying to figure out how to solve on my profile in a concise way. I'm pretty open to what I'm looking for on here (as I note); unfortunately the site pigeonholes you into seeking only one overriding thing. Granted, I could probably focus my search on here to just one thing (relationship) and leave others (such as meeting new friends) for other sites that cater more to that, but I hate closing potential doors, as I know there are at least several unique people on here I've already interacted with who are looking for just friends.

And I 'am' open to coming across a relationship, and not just short term. But (and as I mention quite clearly), it would be with the understanding that I won't be sticking around in Edmonton forever, so they would need to be open to moving/travelling. I realize many people would never do this, but a few will, and it's those who I'd be seeking a relationship with for a longer term. Is it misleading people if I have "seeking a relationship", given my situation? Maybe I could make my Looking For statement clearer?
 Glade_Runner
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/12/2014 9:17:47 AM

It's all about the nipples. I'm sure guys would be just thrilled to let women post shirtless photos, but yes, it's considered tacky.

Really? I would never consider it like that. Arg, why are we so prudish here regarding our bodies? But valid point I suppose. I'll probably remove it and do as Mark_it_Up suggested with the 7 photos.
 eddieinalbq
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/12/2014 9:31:39 AM
Excellent photos and profile.

However, when you get to the part about how you won't be sticking around for longer than a year or two, you lose all the women who are looking for something serious. They don't want to fall in love and then have you disappear. It's possible that you could find a woman to travel with you, but that's a long shot. I think that most women your age want marriage and kids, so it might be a challenge to find someone who just wants a short-term fling.
 TrebleMaker87
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/12/2014 8:51:54 PM
I like your profile a lot (but that's just my opinion...)!!! Your pictures and "description" provide an easy-to-understand, comprehensive picture of what you're looking for.

The ONLY thing I would say is to use less words. Condense what you want into a list, maybe?
 TrebleMaker87
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/12/2014 8:55:21 PM
You're right about shirtless pictures, BUT we (us women) mainly dislike the bathroom shirtless picture. This picture is a little different, and seems to be more classy (I'm not sure why; maybe because he has so many pictures posted, or because like you said--it's contextual).

I do agree with the notion that people don't want to waste time on someone who won't be around. I forgot to include that in my first "critique".
 Glade_Runner
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/13/2014 11:08:13 AM
I added some formatting and tried to break up my 'looking for' paragraph into distinct sections. Is this more helpful, or just clutter it more?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Looking for some constructive input on my profile