Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is My Profile Too Direct/Short?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrebleMaker87
Msg: 1
Is My Profile Too Direct/Short?Page 1 of 1    
Okay, so I'm releasing myself to the wolves (and I'm a little scared). I tried to keep my profile short so that people wouldn't have to read a novel before contacting me.

Also, is my "Please don't send a generic message" statement too blunt? Is there a friendlier way to get that message across?

Thanks, guys!!!!
 BeachBikeHike
Msg: 2
Is My Profile Too Direct/Short?
Posted: 9/12/2014 7:01:49 PM
I think your pics are awesome, and so is your profile name. Very clever.

The ALL CAPS warning about generic messages is too blunt, yes. It will just get ignored anyway. I'd take it out.

I'd also change the wording of your college degree. Could you say "I have a degree in Music Education" instead of "I have a BM in music" ???? As a health care worker, I can assure you that BM means something else, and it's not Bachelor's of Music.
 TrebleMaker87
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/12/2014 7:05:32 PM
Hahahaha! Duly-noted (about the BM....). I'll fix that right away.

I'm just so tired of generic messages (i.e. "Hi"), but I guess I can just delete those and only respond to worthy ones (or maybe I should be replying to generic messages, after all).

Thanks!
 Indira46
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2014 7:58:47 PM
You can change your email settings to only accept messages that are at least 50 characters long.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:45:27 AM
"other religion" may raise a few eyebrows so you may want to change that category or state what that means for you in your profile.

You profile to me is a great example of where pictures and text don't match.

Your picture paint a picture of someone who is outgoing, creative, fun and live an exciting life.

Your text on the other hand is bland, and doesn't really sell you well.

Make the reader think 'wow I really need to date this girl'. Use words like 'adventure' and 'excitement' in your text.

If a guy sends you a message just with 'hi' then you can do one of two things. 1) Delete and ignore him. 2) Reply and say hi back, maybe he's a little shy and struggles to start conversations. Is it really the end of the world that you get messages saying "hey whats up?" ?
 irishgirl772
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/13/2014 4:55:56 AM
Write a little about the type of man you would like to meet. Fill in a 1st date idea.
 jukebox_cowboy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2014 9:57:33 PM
Pics and profile are perfect.
 Forums_only
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/14/2014 8:49:38 AM
Love the main photo - really cute. But unless your underage neice is looking for a date, it's probably not a good idea to have her little face on an online adult dating profile. There may be parental consent issues for this, too, not to mention some guys may not read beyond the photo and realize she's not yours. Never a good idea to have children's photos on these sites.

The Interests field is pretty limited. At 26, there must be more things a guy could talk to you about than music. Do you have a favourite holiday destination? Food or cuisine? Author? Guilty pleasure? It just feels very one-dimensional.

The profile itself is also rather limited for someone looking for Long Term. Unless the guy is also a musician, who would respond? Why not add a couple of lines about the man you'd like to meet to help him out? You want the profile to have enough information for a guy to find things in common, not so limited that he feels he needs to play "20-questions" just to determine if you'd have enough to talk about over coffee. Write for the guy that you want to have a conversation with.

ps - this is one of my favourite usernames in over 8 years of doing reviews. Brilliant!
 petula1908
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/15/2014 5:21:59 AM
I would get rid of any group shots and have just you. Also a full length clear smiling shot is always a winner.
I think your profile is just fine. Guys will look at the pics and then decide to contact you. Some of them dont even bother to read the profile as you will discover when all sorts of unsuitable guys get in touch..
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/15/2014 5:37:16 AM
Your about me is very brief and uninteresting. You basically said nothing except you like music.

The photos tell a much more interesting story. I think you could write a much more compelling about me, if you put in a little effort.
 tennistown
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/15/2014 8:09:37 AM
I tried to keep my profile short so that people wouldn't have to read a novel before contacting me.

Your current, four sentence profile
would never be questioned... of being a novel.
More of a novelty.

It's true, women can write very brief profiles and still get plenty of attention.

Plus, it ends with this sentence.....

Finding someone who is also passionate (about ANYTHING) would be fantastic!

I read that ^^^^^^ and thought.....
You must have been dating some real dullards.

It's four sentences long.

So, if you remove the last sentence,
now we are down to a three sentence profile.

I think the better you write one,
the better chances you have
of finding a man
that best suits your wants and needs.

Also six "Interests" looks better than four.
So add a couple more, yes?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Is My Profile Too Direct/Short?