Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What am I doing wrong?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Alex8ton
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What am I doing wrong?Page 1 of 1    
Hi everyone!
I've been on POF for a little while now and tried various different approaches to writing my profile, and tried a few different photos too. I think I have never received a reply to a message I have sent in my time on here! I do not have leprosy, so that's not it. Please can I have some feedback on my profile? Did I miss something?
Thanks for your help.
Alex.
 Alex8ton
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/16/2014 2:23:56 PM
Perhaps last night's random re-jig worked a bit - since posting this I've had a couple of replies... I wish I understood why so I could improve my profile still further!
Thanks.
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 3
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/16/2014 3:35:45 PM
In several of your photos you're drinking something. Looks like a party boy. Not all women are into that. I'd at least get rid of one drinking photo. Maybe the one with 2 beers.

Your first paragraph you can delete. No one needs to hear how you got drunk all the time in your 20's and what today's drinking habits are. Though you should put a sentence in your profile that you enjoy a couple of nights a week at the pub. Or every night if that's the case so a woman has some sense of whether she's going to be hooking up with a problem drinker or not.

But if you're getting responses to what you currently have as your profile, then you must be doing something right. If you're not getting responses to your messages, are you sending notes that say something about what interested you in her profile and that you have a similar interest, or ask her a question about something? Women get a lot of messages. I get 3 to 5 a day and women younger than me must be swamped. But we don't get quality messages. I get a lot of "Hi." Hey there." "Want to chat." "Are you ever sexy." "You're so pretty, yes so pretty, so pretty, so pretty." Some of them I block. Most I just don't respond to. So hopefully that gives you some insight on what women are getting messages about.
 Forums_only
Msg: 4
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/16/2014 6:27:05 PM
I quite enjoyed this version. I do have just a couple of little nitpicks...

You can't ask for someone intelligent when you have typos in your profile. Fix those.

In your main photo, I just want to smack that curlicue thingy off your head. It's a great photo, but that thing is really distracting.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 5
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/17/2014 9:07:00 AM
I appreciated your second paragraph. Your first paragraph requires significant revision. I agree with another poster that you should omit your past with drinking, especially when you have pictures of yourself with drink. If you've really giving up on drunken jols, you need to write and display which reflects your current situation.

You need to remove the part in which you label yourself as masochistic (there isn't anything in your profile which indicates this). You enjoy sport (running) for the personal satisfaction of accomplishment you feel -- you don't derive depraved satisfaction in creating yourself pain (if you do, then I guess keep it). Ideally, this shouldn't be on a profile.

Toward the end of your profile, absolutely omit the part where you expect a devastatingly attractive women. You're handsome, but not "devastatingly attractive." Women are entitled to feel they are as such, just as much as you do, and they may feel they fit that standard or you may turn away people who are far more humble (and probably better for you). You can request fit and attractive, whatever that means, but it may invite more people and somebody who you may things is average in appearance may stun you with her intellect and equally strong heart.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 6
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/17/2014 10:58:48 AM
You look chubbier than " average" in some of the photos, it is important to have current pictures up. Year Max
You use too many bangs
The really handsome men have a hard time getting replies, your line about how she should be so attractive..well, I'd lose that
A lot of spelling mistakes.
So you go to work hungover? I'd ditch that bit too.
 eddieinalbq
Msg: 7
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/17/2014 1:59:16 PM
I noticed some spelling mistakes in your profile. You should do whatever it takes to correct those.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are coming across as an alcoholic in your profile. Four of your photos show you with a drink, and you mention that you want to drink beer on the first date. You even start off your profile by talking about drinking in your first paragraph and how you only want to drink during the week now. You might attract a few party girls, but that is about it. If you are looking for a party girl then great, but don't expect many replies.

Lastly, you mention that you are looking for someone who is "devastatingly attractive". Most women out there are not super-models. Few women will reply to you after reading that.
 Alex8ton
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/17/2014 4:30:24 PM
Thankyou everyone for your kind and constructive criticism. I have made some effort to re-vamp the profile, taking on board your comments. If anyone cares to make further comment that would be greatly appreciated.
Alex
x
 Ouija2025
Msg: 9
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/17/2014 5:27:14 PM
Alex ! This is so much better
I can now actually get a mental image of what it would be like to date you - and that is what you want. She needs to see how she fits into your World.
I do suggest changing " undecided" re children.. plus I am assuming many women inyour target group would have a child.
I love, simply love, the story you painted re the skiing
Remember to keep your first msg easy and ask one Q max.
I'm not a huge fan of people posing with a drink ( and I adore my wine, but) it often gives the first impression that booze is vital to you.
You kept it upbeat, fun, if I was younger I'd giggle like a school girl at a 1D concert if you msged me.
I wish you great luck :)
PS, stick around and help with reviews, POF also has other forums if you aren't aware including a UK one
 ozsealady1
Msg: 10
What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 9/17/2014 7:56:52 PM
Photos and profile look great to me.
Wish I was on your side of the world and younger.

Sigh!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What am I doing wrong?