Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 1
Profile Review!!Page 1 of 1    
Hello to everyone!!

I'm kind of excited to get a review regardless of what is said. I'm always open for improvement whether it be about life or just learning about something new such as POF dating.

I've actually done this before but it was a LONG time ago. The last time i got a review my pictures were an issue but this was when i was 130 pounds heavier and i wasn't comfortable with myself. So now i'm back 3-4 years later and if i need to improve my pictures i'm willing to do so this time around :).
 tennistown
Msg: 2
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 1:29:51 PM
The first half of your profile,
reads like a giant fortune cookie.
You might add in a few lucky lotto numbers to finish that paragraph.

After that,
all I can glean
from your profile
is you recently were,
way heavy.

There has to be more to you
that you can share
with your target audience?

You might, write about one of your listed interests.
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 3
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 1:57:41 PM
Thanks for that insight. I'm not to good at this online thing.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to showcase myself on here.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 4
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 2:05:43 PM

I've actually done this before but it was a LONG time ago.

Be prepared for a shock.
It's a whole new OLD world now.
The glory days have been over for a couple of years now.
Use as much humor as you can in profile and messages. Maybe it will come back in vogue.
Best of luck.
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 5
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 2:10:38 PM
well i'm prepared for the worst. I'm not expecting to get anything out of this.

Some insight would be helpful.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 6
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 2:18:15 PM
So it is one long quote. And not your words.
I would not make mention of the weigh loss, I get you are proud but to me I'd be worried you will pack the weigh back on. This is a dating profile not an advert re weigh loss. :)
So you gained and lost weigh - but you say you are unique.
Tell us what makes you YOU..
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 7
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 2:25:05 PM
wow interesting! never thought of it like that.
Well the weight loss is what makes me who i am.... It's part of my story.

This online thing is totally different than IRL because IRL it's so much easier to tell your story so those worries will not even come to mind.

Should i just take it all off and explain it in a different way?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 8
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 7:18:03 PM
You are more focused on the loss than on looking for a date. I know I sound harsh but I never clap when someone loses weigh that well, they put on. You also don't want to spend your Life being that former " big" guy. That is the past.. speak of the here and now..
So what makes you YOU now Jeff?
Instead of the weigh loss you could mention you are determined and have a story to back that claim.. something more along those lines
But it is probably my bias, you need to have up what feels right for you Doll :)
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 9
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 7:59:36 PM
No it's totally ok, i totally get it. Everything that everyone has been saying makes a lot of sense.

this is why i made a profile review :)

Just want to thank you and the other people that have replied to my thread.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 10
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/23/2014 10:42:22 PM
I hope you shall take the effort to 'flesh out' your profile a bit. You have nice photos. Maybe draw up an outline in your mind and on paper and transfer the story to your profile. Get tips from people around you whose writing flows a bit. Don't be afraid to talk about yourself in a more positive manner and what you seek, on here.

I wish you luck.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 11
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:43:30 AM
Jeff .. I am rooting for you.
Take a look at some of the seasoned Male reviewers profiles ( Mark, Scooter, etc)
You want to bring your profile to "life" give her insight into what it is like to date you, be with you.
I know it is hard for people to speak highly of themselves, but this is where you need to bring the A game.
Remember end of the day it is your profile, we are all just trying to help but everyone has their own opinion/bias
Pick IDk, one story, brief, to tell us about you :)
You are adorable and as long as you are patient and don't just use here to find dates you'll be fine
Best of luck Doll
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 12
Profile Review!!
Posted: 9/24/2014 8:26:37 AM
Thank you Eternityboresme and Ouija2025.

I have my profile as hidden right now so i can figure out how to showcase myself on here. I'm a pretty humble guy and i don't like to talk "highly" of myself but i do "think" highly of myself and am confident if you know what i mean.
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 13
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/15/2014 6:01:07 AM
I'm back after a little break and reflection. I'm pretty sure my profile is defiantly better than what it was before.

Let me Know plz :)
 tennistown
Msg: 14
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/15/2014 7:54:06 AM

I'm pretty sure my profile is defiantly better than what it was before.

Definitely.

Jeffy1985: Try and fail, but never fail to try

I don't believe using the word "fail" twice
in your "Headline" is doing you any favors.
Can you pick something else to place there?

...... but i promise If we go on a date, you can expect to have a great time and please don’t freak out if I put my arm around you :) (It just means… I like you.)

Don't make promises you can't keep.
Not every first date ends up being a great time.

Also advising not to "freak out" suggests,
that precise thing, has happened before!

Saying.... "It just means... I like you"
feels like you left out part of what you really wanted to say...
"It just means... I like you, and want you to birth my kidletts.

I would remove that long sentence ^^^ and the preceding sentence about your shyness.
Good luck.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/15/2014 5:25:30 PM
You have TV shows and movies as interests. What TV shows? What kind of movies?

You have indoors and outdoors. Think about it, that's everywhere! What do you like to do outdoors? And indoors?

What do you like to do in NYC? Plays, museums, dance clubs, what?

What's Ufc?
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 16
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/17/2014 12:33:19 PM
Thanks for the input, i really appreciate it.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 17
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/17/2014 3:29:07 PM
Hi Jeff, I made it half way through the second paragraph and had to stop when I hit the third cliche, cliche is VERY boring to read and causes eyes to bleed.

Absolutely NO cliche in a good profile, ALL of it MUST be original content to be interesting.

What sells the best is personality and humor, tell the ladies why they should date you rather than the any of the other men here!

Read my profile, then come back here and tell me the difference between yours and mine.

Also if you have not already done so read the profile tips at the top of the page in green.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 18
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/18/2014 6:47:02 AM
I'll be honest here i have only been on one real date in my life so it's kind of hard for me to actually write a profile. Most of my friends are girls that i am very good friends with.

All the girls i'm friends with love my personality and enjoy my company but how to translate that to a online dating site? This i have no idea, i don't want to describe my life story but i have been through a lot of changes on the inside so i know myself very good and maybe i am cliche but i am a good cliche. I am not taking anything personal and i enjoy everyone's opinions on my profile which i agree with all the time but perhaps this whole online thing is not for me.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 19
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/18/2014 9:50:42 AM

I'll be honest here i have only been on one real date in my life so it's kind of hard for me to actually write a profile. Most of my friends are girls that i am very good friends with.

All the girls i'm friends with love my personality and enjoy my company but how to translate that to a online dating site? This i have no idea, i don't want to describe my life story but i have been through a lot of changes on the inside so i know myself very good and maybe i am cliche but i am a good cliche. I am not taking anything personal and i enjoy everyone's opinions on my profile which i agree with all the time but perhaps this whole online thing is not for me.

Hi Jeff, you are far from alone, many have difficulty writing a good profile. We can not help you much if we don't get good feedback from you to get a feel for where you are coming from and and level of commitment to do your best to make it happen.

In my original post I asked you to go do a few things then comment what you learned if anything.

Unless I have missed something there has been no reply to my request. That leads me to think you commitment lever is quite low. Correct or incorrect?
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 20
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:12:40 AM
As far as online dating my commitment level is quite low just because I've never had success in the past and i expect nothing. I know why i have had never any success though and i really want to learn. I will give your profile a read and i will explain what i have learned :)
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 21
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/18/2014 11:15:16 AM
Yeah i see your profile shows your personality, it is very distinctive compared to anyone else. Your profile really showcases "You" and at the same time showing humor. I see the difference between my cliche and your profile as very non cliche :)
 tatersprout
Msg: 22
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/18/2014 1:21:43 PM
Hi Jeffy,

You get out of it what you put in.
Check out the pics and profile write ups of the reviewers here (not necessarily the ones on your thread).
No 2 are alike; all show originality, and can't be applied to anyone else.
Many are in relationships forged here; others are very actively dating.
Nobody has glamorous jobs or look like models.

Think of that as you rewrite.
Everybody likes music, movies, tv, going out, staying in, the gym, friends and family.
Unless you get very specific in these areas, you will sound like the hundreds of other men and not be memorable.

Passion, enthusiasm, humor all work well here.

Good luck!
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 23
Profile Review!!
Posted: 12/18/2014 1:51:57 PM

Yeah i see your profile shows your personality, it is very distinctive compared to anyone else. Your profile really showcases "You" and at the same time showing humor. I see the difference between my cliche and your profile as very non cliche :)

Okay, that is the first step to understand in order to be successful.

Now you need at least 2 unique personality traits that make Jeff the man a woman will want to get to know. Both words are best used in a sentence explaining why or how that trait describes you.

Then do the same for the woman you seek.

Have you read the profile tips yet?
 Jeffy1985
Msg: 24
Profile Review!!
Posted: 1/29/2015 7:38:36 AM
Thanks for all the tips :)
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review!!