Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Are there any active moderators?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 1
Are there any active moderators?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Just an observation...
In all of the threads that I have been in in the past week or so I have not seen any posts or statements by moderators. Also, the report thread hasn't had this many visible posts since the link to the forums disappeared from the top of the dating side pages. Although it has taken more than a week to get the ones posted and in the "old days" that many would appear daily.

Like I said, just an observation.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 2
Are there any active moderators?
Posted: 9/27/2014 3:52:23 PM
I heard that Elvis has left the building....both of them. Which begs the question- can we police ourselves? Can the nasty settle down and can those that "think" they are mods back off?
 Holly63
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/27/2014 4:31:13 PM
Neither are moderating anymore. Someone is though, (maybe a new one) as a thread to which I posted yesterday has disappeared. I had an idea it would go considering the subject matter but I wondered how far it would go. Thankfully its gone.

The forums need moderating as one can imagine how out of hand they may get.
 Holly63
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/27/2014 4:59:04 PM
The Mods are members of this site just like we are. They don't get paid to be a mod - its all voluntary. The exception being the Event Host Mod......BUT I'm not 100% sure on that. Some choose to leave the site (like we all will eventually), some simply don't want to BE a mod anymore - as its a thankless and time consuming job and there's other reasons why they stop moderating.

LIke I said, someone is, as a thread I participated in has now gone. :)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/27/2014 5:13:21 PM
We are adults and should be able to moderate ourselves. If you have an issue why not simply msg who you have the issue with?
oh what am I saying
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/27/2014 5:14:10 PM
The lack of moderators policing this forum can quickly allow the thing to spin out of control and that could quickly become the death of these suffering forums. That would be too bad.

I can’t fault the last two moderators who hung on for leaving. It is a thankless unpaid job that had to be like a part time job.

Holly, I thought that threads can be deleted by community vote. That doesn’t take a moderator. Or does it take a moderator to open it up to a vote? Also, reports can be made to CSR@pof.com. There is a "Forum abuse" selection too on the report user link on profiles. Those are two ways for reporting directly to administration but probably not as responsive as the moderators would be.

I hope they find some people who are smart, fair, and firm that they can talk into the job.

EDIT:
Ouija2025, got a chuckle out of your post.
 Holly63
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/27/2014 5:24:30 PM
<div class="quote">The lack of moderators policing this forum can quickly allow the thing to spin out of control and that could quickly become the death of these suffering forums.

Amen to that, Bobby.

...and yes, they can be deleted through community vote. Mine was the first response in the thread then I saw 2 more then I went to bed. This morning it's gone. I actually don't know how some threads have that option of voting off and some don't. Maybe a mod, yes.

I hope they find some more people too. I'd hate this to be the end of the Forums.

EDIT: See? How much fun can these forums be sometimes?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/27/2014 5:37:08 PM
Not like on line we can remove body parts, some of the petty reporting is well BS. I deal with any issues I have Ovary on Ovary ( or Balls) Instead it is like supervised recess.. some people SHOULD run with scissors. What needs cutting so bad you have to run with scissors BTW? I stroll :/
They call me Squinty. ok, this will be removed but I amused myself
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2014 5:48:52 PM
Well, I do see one mod name in the "Deleted Threads" page. Lots of threads deleted by "blank" as well. Maybe there's a mod with a hidden profile.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/27/2014 5:50:17 PM
I don't think moderators are a bad thing but I think they should be changed up...not stay longer than a year for a few reasons - it's a thankless task and mods have "favourites" and lose the fairness aspect of it all. For the most part, threads and posters sort themselves out. I know there is a lot of petty "you reported me so now I'm reporting you" going on. There is also a lot of those that "think" they are mods and go around reporting silly things; they need to stick to profile reviews or just get a life. There are a few that love to report and if you read their posts, they are downright nasty posters themselves. A snitch is a snitch.

Overall, we need the mods. We need to give them a shorter shelf life, change things up and thank them when they leave.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/28/2014 4:30:06 AM
Igor,
I see the blank deleted by boxes. Not quite sure what to make of it. The other deleted threads have been deleted by “event moderator” or “seanfoxy” who is also an event moderator. Is it possible that the threads deleted by no-name were deleted by admin after being directly reporter to them? Also, if the last active moderator, who apparently has quit moderating, also deleted his profile could it have also removed his name? (Just some thoughts)

Also, in the last 100 deleted posts thread, the last non-event related deleted post was posted on Sept 16.

All I know is that it is a job I would never even consider undertaking and don’t see why anybody would but I hope that someone dose. These forums will never survive without moderation. Since they do not generate revenue I don’t see BigFish putting much effort into trying to save and support them. Otherwise he would have been proactive in maintaining and supporting moderation.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/28/2014 8:09:46 AM
All I know is that it is a job I would never even consider undertaking and don’t see why anybody would but I hope that someone dose. These forums will never survive without moderation.

Funny thing is that I DID volunteer as a moderator but never even got a response. I moderated a divorce forum on Yahoo for a couple years for which we should have earned combat pay. You think dating brings out the crazies? You should see divorce threads. POF would be a piece of cake.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/28/2014 9:26:29 AM
I’ve had a few profiles on POF at different times. The current one is going on 6 years old, and I maintain it mainly for the forums. I took down my photo and have had my first email age restrictions set to between 98 and 99 a few times. All just because I was only interested in the forums.

In the years that I have been reading, and occasionally contributing to, the forums there have been numerous offers by members to moderate the forums. It seems that those requests are virtually an exclusionary action for being invited to participate as a moderator.

There have been many threads where people talked about the moderation of this forum with some offering to take on the job. In one I asked how the current moderators were chosen for the job the then moderator Miss A*****n replied with the story of how it happened with her. I am looking for that thread so I can post a link to it. In the meantime, here are a couple others I found…
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13544169.aspx
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15163327.aspx

If someone has a desire to punish themselves and volunteer for the unpaid/uncompensated position I would suggest that you send your resume to CSR@pof.com. Don’t hold your breath waiting for a reply.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/28/2014 9:45:33 AM
I just found it. Problem is that miss a*****n’s reply is gone. It looks like all her history is gone. Obviously her account is deleted. I had a couple off-forum conversations and she has disappeared from my contacts history. In fact, after doing two different searches under that user name there is only one post where I see her name. Everything else appears to be gone. Must have been a bad breakup between her and POF. (??)

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned in my last post above. Although her story/reply has been deleted…
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15553726.aspx
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/28/2014 10:31:35 AM
This is the thread I'd seen: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15553726.aspx
And this is how I applied.

You might contact a current mod and SUGGEST one
 Ouija2025
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/28/2014 3:01:32 PM
CynthiaSM.. I think you would be a great Mod. Your posts are always well thought out, you maintain your cool.. maybe we can toss some other names in the mix, only two is prolly why they quit
 cotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2014 4:42:53 PM
Holly ...
... a thread to which I posted yesterday has disappeared.

Are you talking about a thread that might be in the deleted threads?
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/deletedthreads.aspx ...

Apparently as far as most of us know, no one else is moderating the forums and in regards to the thread Holly was participating in, if you view the deleted threads forum, you'll see that it was community voted off and NOT removed by some new, unknown moderator. No magical newbie forum moderator #3 unless you count the poor fella in the UK that can't even get his age straight that is voluntarily looking after UK events only. I think you can see him in the "deleted threads" too ... seanfoxy.

Okay ... rumor has it both of the forum moderators have left the building. One completely quit POF while the other just stopped moderating. Better to ask them as to why they quit instead of making assumptions and guesses.
 Holly63
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/28/2014 5:09:12 PM

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned in my last post above. Although her story/reply has been deleted…
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15553726.aspx

Yes, I'd forgotten about that thread. The answer to my post at #13 outlines what it takes to be a mod. Miss A gladly outlined how she became one, as Bobby said. Admin asked her.

And Bobby?...I'd like to think that she didn't have a falling out with POF and rather that she chose to delete her posting history before she left.
Anyway, Will Admin choose someone? Will Admin sit and wait for offers? Will the forums die? We'll just have to sit tight and see what happens I guess.

EDIT: Thanks Cotter. That explains why it was deleted. Like I said I was only there for 2 posts then searched the next morning and it had gone. :)
 cotter
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2014 11:02:34 AM

I'd like to think that she didn't have a falling out with POF and rather that she chose to delete her posting history before she left.
I doubt admin had anything to do with either her or the other moderator's lack of posts. Rather I choose to believe that they deleted their own posts ... as only a moderator or admin can do. I doubt if Admin was involved.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/29/2014 11:36:45 AM

I doubt admin had anything to do with either her or the other moderator's lack of posts. Rather I choose to believe that they deleted their own posts ...

If that is the case it could be looked at, in the least, as somewhat foolish and as worst spiteful. All of her moderator posts and comments with so many answers and suggestions to user questions are gone. That is a loss. Some may not consider it a great loss, but none the less it is a loss.

That would be like me leaving my job but before going making sure I didn't leave the information and knowledge I had collected and documented.

Better to ask them as to why they quit instead of making assumptions and guesses.

Good idea and I completely agree. There is a slight problem though. How should we contact the (former???) moderators to ask them how and why they left? One is gone and her profile deleted. The other I am not positive (but I have a really good idea) of his/her identity. A lesser forum user would have less of an idea on the identity of who he/she is.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/29/2014 1:18:45 PM
It could be Miss A had her profile deleted because She was Blocked too many times in the Email Program. I've read it has happened to other Moderators in the Past.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/29/2014 4:17:43 PM
I find most of this thread hysterical because I've been sent to banned camp exactly once and it was by Miss A because I posted about a member who had been gone for 2 yrs at that point. The reason for the ban - 'name and shame'

Consider yerselves all banned for 2 weeks! ROTFLMAO
 Holly63
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/29/2014 8:40:21 PM

Or, finally; it would happen if she herself decided to leave and wiped her history before she went.
I'm going with the last idea, it makes sense

It makes sense because it's true. She wiped her history a while ago.

Anyway, the majority of us know how to conduct ourselves in an adult fashion on these forums so while this site searches for new mods...if Admin even does..... lets hope it stays that way. Lets not ruin a good thing.
 ohenryx
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2014 12:27:03 PM

I find most of this thread hysterical because I've been sent to banned camp exactly once and it was by Miss A because I posted about a member who had been gone for 2 yrs at that point. The reason for the ban - 'name and shame'

Consider yerselves all banned for 2 weeks! ROTFLMAO

Miss A put me on a partial ban about 2 years ago, and I think it's still in effect. She's probably banned or partially banned more people than all of the other moderators over the history of these forums.

But it's all good. Being limited to 5 posts per day keeps me from wasting as much time here as I used to, and that's probably a good thing.
 overunity
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2014 1:57:47 PM
The divine Miss A is gone?????????? Say it isn't so!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Are there any active moderators?