Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Feedback      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ScooterSB
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Profile FeedbackPage 1 of 1    
So this tells the reader exactly nothing about you, it also seems to explain the premise of online dating, as though the reader doesn't know what online dating is. Of course they do, they are using it too.

Once upon a time you were able to meet someone on a train or after an awkward glance in a pub or cafe. Now everyone's faces are glued to their smartphones and nobody looks up anymore, those days are gone and so it's time to turn to the internet. I'm getting a little fed up not of being the 3rd, 5th, 7th person at any given social occasion having been single for nearly a year and a half.

In your main photo you need to smile, make a great first impression with a bight, clear headshot. Avoid selfies, it's hard to look good in them, have the photo taken outside, natural light is your friend.

Theses are some questions you can answer in your profile to make it really stand out.
What makes you special and unique?
What's the most exciting thing in your life right now?
Why should a woman date you over every other guy on this site?
What attributes do you find attractive in a woman?
What is it like to date you?
What does romance mean to you?
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 3
Profile Feedback
Posted: 10/2/2014 9:40:10 AM
The second to last photo is much better! You're smiling and it looks a bit candid, which is even better. Try making that one your main for now (maybe crop it so your legs don't show).

First paragraph is a rant about the decline of social interaction, followed by a complaint you've been single for 18-ish months. Yikes. Gives off the impression you feel entitled to a date/relationship/bedroom fun because you've gone so long without.

no colleagues to show me around town and introduce me to new people
Moving is hard, but "I need a tour guide date because I cannot make friends" does not sound enticing. It sounds kind of desperate and makes me worried you are a bit of a clinger. Plus, how long have you been in Birmingham?

Some suggestions if you're not sure how to open an email;
Or... you could answer those questions now. Or better yet, you can assume that if she's interested, she'll likely come up with a half-decent question on her own. It comes off a little condescending.

I've only ever been in distance relationships
For me, I also consider this a negative. It conjures the impression that you wouldn't know how to be in a relationship where you can see the woman two or three times a week and that you don't do well with face-to-face communication. If you do talk to a woman who is far away, you can mention your previous experience with a long-distance relationship. But that sentence might put off the nearby women reading your profile. The first sentence in this paragraph was fine though.

What is a typical message you send to a woman?
 tennistown
Msg: 4
Profile Feedback
Posted: 10/2/2014 10:39:00 AM
......starting to make me think I'm just getting it all wrong.

I think your "Headline" is not doing you any favors.

Londoner_in_Brum: Non psycho, will not bombard you with naked photos

Instead of them leaning in,
to read more.
You have them rocking back
on their heels and pushing away.

Psycho.
Bombard.
Naked.
Photos.

Yes, you said "non."
But the unsavory words have that sentence outnumbered!
I suggest a rewrite on that headline PDQ!

oldfashmntman
Msg: 5
Profile Feedback
Posted: 10/2/2014 10:41:18 AM
Hi OP, I don't see it as a surprise you are struggling, your profile has zero personality in it whatsoever.

Personality is what enables the ladies to form a connection with you as they read, that is how you get mail and dates that are more likely to be compatible.

Have you seen the profile tips at the top of the page in green?

Best wishes

OFMM
 Forums_only
Msg: 6
Profile Feedback
Posted: 10/2/2014 8:46:07 PM
A few quickies...

Your photos make you appear hesitant. There is one almost-smiling photo where you're sitting cross-legged, you look fun in that one.

The Interests are all pretty much generic. Replace most of them with one or two-word specific examples. (ie: instead of "Reading", name a favourite Author, or genre)

Lose the pity party about being the single one. What kind of sense of humour do you have? What makes you laugh?

Correct the word 'live' to 'love' in that sentence.

Skip the distance thing - it sets you up for scammers.

I'd really like to see what this looks like with a bit of imagination and description. Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Feedback