Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Bring it on      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Bring it onPage 1 of 1    
So, a few months ago I found the forums and profile reviews. After reading dozens of reviewers' and reviewees' profiles, I realized that we were all saying the same things and made some radical changes to the format of my profile. I had phenomenal success with it and posted it here for review but was completely slammed and insulted by the reviewers. It was actually quite entertaining until the thread was deleted, probably because people were being so nasty. Anyway, I've been in a rather intense but short lived relationship for a few months and have recently returned to POF with a new profile (same pics) that is achieving the same if not better success. I'm posting this here for some honest opinions, good or bad, and to offer an example of what actually works to those who may be struggling with theirs. Who am I kidding, this thread will probably be deleted too.
 Forums_only
Msg: 2
Bring it on
Posted: 10/8/2014 8:53:30 PM
Main would've been better without the sunglasses.

Google-mapped Ancaster - I've been by there on the way to Niagara. I suppose it could technically be within 75 miles of the US border. Did you get a lot of messages from women in Buffalo? I wonder if both those email restrictions are really necessary.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 3
Bring it on
Posted: 10/8/2014 9:01:39 PM
Sounds like that first paragraph was inspired by a real life event. Nice of you to generalize, then imply the reader take control of her love life by messaging you.

The second paragraph says nothing, and half of it is a poorly constructed caveman joke. If you want to be taught, go to college. The Q/A is annoying to read, so I didn't.

In writing - be specific, be clear, or else be joking. Your profile is full of flat jokes, and has no substance.

So, simply add substance. If you are confused, refer to clarity and specificity.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Bring it on
Posted: 10/8/2014 9:01:47 PM
I hear ya about the pic, tried others but that's the one that gets them in the door.

Yep, redundant email restrictions put up at different times.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bring it on
Posted: 10/8/2014 10:11:27 PM
Thanks CTRL, you're funny.

Aside from a couple fictional Qs about pics, the FAQ is just that, frequently asked. At least twice a day I'm asked about my username.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 6
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 1:52:06 AM
A fan of Freud? Maybe the joke about mother issues was more- psychoanalytic satire, and less- introspective experience.

Freud, is the poor-man's Jung.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 7
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 2:11:43 AM
Your sunglasses photo would not have gotten me in the door, so to speak. It was your post that made that happen, for the review. And, unfortunately, your first paragraph was enough to convince me that you should not be taken seriously. Are you trying to take jabs at people for making their own relationship choices?
 CTRLvector
Msg: 8
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 2:43:45 AM
Read the subject title, he wants negative reinforcement to his proclaimed positive success. He reinstates the point of not needing help several times throughout, and continues to do so as he posts in reply.

He is being satirical, he knows that women get boring/lewd messages. So he refreshes their memory as more of a ploy, than a reminder. All this in hope that it displays a level of confidence, and humor, that deems worthy of response.

"But enough about you. I'm into all kinds of things, constantly changing. I'm a fairly creative guy. But our commonalities aren't that important to me beyond personal chemistry and physical attraction"

That (outside of a manic Q/A section) is the way he describes himself- He is into things, constantly changes, and is fairly creative.

You may ask, "what does that even say?" And the answer would be- nothing, it says nothing.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 4:57:52 AM
Nope, not seeking negative reinforcement. I'm not taking jabs at any relationship choices, don't really see how you got that. I am being satirical, yes. And you're right, it really SAYS nothing about me but probably gives the reader a better sense of my personality than most profiles (I'm sure you'll tell me what that sense is). The point is that it works, I think because it's entertaining and unique. I've written the specific and sincere profile before without success and though you may not believe me, entertaining and unique beats specificity.....hands down.

Wasn't it Jung who said "the laws of attraction are undefined" ? I don't think the reviewers in this forum know as much about attraction as they do about analysis.
 Smthn_Like_Olivia
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 5:16:19 AM
I'm not on the same page with everyone else. I like it. Little wit, little humor, great smile, decent pics, tall, AND handsome. I'd take you for a spin, just to see if you're as witty in person as you are in writing.

I think the write up is a fresh approach to what you usually see on this site. When I was OLD, I didn't try to delve too deep and find hidden messages. I think it gives a good feel for your type of personality and I think you'll fair well on this site. Good luck!

P.S. Almost forgot, I would, however, swap out the main for for one without sunglasses and showcase that winning smile.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 11
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 5:18:27 AM
This allows you to quote a previous post. You're seeking negative reinforcement, the subject title says it all. You're confident that your profile is perfect, and needs no adjustment because:

"(same pics) that is achieving the same if not better success" & "and to offer an example of what actually works to those who may be struggling with theirs" & "bring it on" & "At least twice a day I'm asked about my username."

You take jabs throughout your first paragraph, i'm not going to quote it.

The only certain thing about your personality- is that you are arrogant. Humility is a virtue, and you would do well to remember that. Confidence turns to arrogance, if you cannot be humble.

So, yeah know, figure that part out. Otherwise you end up being 39, with your longest relationship lasting approximately 2 years. And you will find yourself going from one short lived relationship to the next...... oops, too soon?

Its ok buddy, I'm sure you'll find some other girl to have a rather intense hook-up.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 12
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 6:19:56 AM

. Anyway, I've been in a rather intense but short lived relationship for a few months and have recently returned to POF with a new profile (same pics) that is achieving the same if not better success.

Why are you here if you are having success?

I can understand why many reviewers didn't like it, but also agree with you that uniqueness will no doubt draw attention.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Forums_only
Msg: 13
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 7:34:08 AM

I don't think the reviewers in this forum know as much about attraction as they do about analysis.

Generalization is always dangerous. Did you want to clarify that?
 tatersprout
Msg: 14
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 11:45:11 AM
Personally, I love it.
It's unique, fresh, humorous, creative.
Not even cribbed from the internet...
I would want to meet the author to see if he's as much fun in person :)
 Ainen
Msg: 15
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 12:10:14 PM
It's good to be different and unique. Stand out from the herd.

This summer a guy reported lots of success here. He broke many of the supposed rules, for example he held a fish in his main photo.

The "faq" is amusing because it's difficult to believe some of those questions are frequent.

I'm guessing the first contact messages you send are different from the cookie cutter ones most people send, as suggested by your caveman reference.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 4:52:29 PM
I should retract my statement about reviewers and attraction, I may have been influenced by a previous experience.

Believe it or not, I have yet to send a first contact message since coming back to POF, 3 weeks or so.

Thank you all for the kind words.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 17
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 5:46:37 PM

should/may

Believe it or not, I am the reason my last thread was deleted, because I'm a blatant troll

Thank you all for the kind words

You give yourself too much credit, you're not that good of a troll.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 6:38:41 PM
You've really got me confused now CTRLfreak, I started this thread. Which one of us is a troll?
 Forums_only
Msg: 19
Bring it on
Posted: 10/9/2014 8:29:53 PM
Ignore the toddler.

So the main photo now is WAAAAAY better. (Can you crop it even closer!?) Now the cheeky profile matches the smile and doesn't have the douchey overtone of some guy wearing sunglasses. MUCH better first impression.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Bring it on