Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review, Anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ainen
Msg: 2
Profile Review, Anyone?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Add two or more outside photos. Your interests include camping and hiking, and your text mentions getting outdoors to enjoy the fresh air.

With your demanding job/career, do you have the time to date?

Get rid of the X at the end. Blowing kisses to strangers?
 tatersprout
Msg: 3
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/9/2014 12:05:09 PM
Hi Richard,

Welcome to profile reviews :)
Your pics are ok...could be better.
The current main shows you sporting a very shiny face but at least you're smiling.
I really like the one of you in the hoodie...like the angle.

Write up couldn't be more boring or generic.
Probably describes 80% of guys here.
All men here are laid back, funny, genuine, and loyal.
That makes you a cliche.

You wrote more about your job than anything else...this isn't a CV/resume.

What do you do for fun?
What makes you different and interesting?
What's it like to date you?

Show some humor and personality...inspire her curiosity.

I don't like you using the word "infectious".
If you can't come up with a header, think song lyric or movie quote.
 tennistown
Msg: 5
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/9/2014 12:23:05 PM

.....where am I going wrong people?

I wonder if your headline,
is turning heads
away
from reading the rest of your profile?

In your age bracket
women receive plenty of mail.
Almost a burdensome amount.

They have to make a pretty quick choice
to continue reading on, or round file your email.

Richie191189: Smile, it's Infectious :)

Google search:
adjective: infectious
(of a disease or disease-causing organism) likely to be transmitted to people, organisms.

I believe your intent was positive,
yet you picked a word
with multiple meanings.

I suggest changing your headline.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 8
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/9/2014 3:02:44 PM
The best word I can think of to describe your profile is lifeless.

Personality is what sells Richie, add some for both you and the woman you seek.

Check out the profile tips at the top of the page in green, they are very helpful.

Best wishes

Jerry
 AquamarineBlue8
Msg: 10
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/11/2014 8:03:28 AM
Hi Richie,

The profile is pretty plain vanilla, nothing stands out and sets you apart from the rest of the herd and screams 'this is me hear me roar!'. But I will say that I like the pic of you in the green shirt, you look mature and since you have a nice smile, it might send some gal's heart aflutter when you message her. Some of the more experienced hands will have to weigh in on the rest. Your interests are unremarkable too.

Good luck to you!
 Forums_only
Msg: 11
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/11/2014 9:53:44 AM
It really is quite generic, isn't it. Other than Indian and Italian food (which is a great specific) it's pretty much interchangeable with thousands of other guys.

Key descriptive words can create a more memorable profile. Are you on a tennis or squash team? Do you play really well and enjoy the challenge of a good match? or are you lucky not to whack an eye out? Outdoor adventure is great if FOLLOWED by a great batch of chips at the pub and a refreshing adult beverage, but the way you have it now sounds like the pub IS your adventure. Rephrase, add description.

Same with who you'd like to meet - it's a list of clichés, unfortunately. Again, use your imagination and sense of humour.

Before they're even going to read your profile, they have to get past the -meh- photos. Zip up the jacket, smile or grin really big. Then replace some of the generic Interest with one or two-word specific examples to create an image in your viewer's mind. Here is where you can show personality and humour and (hopefully) intrigue her to want to read more. Good luck.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 13
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/11/2014 2:36:13 PM
still I seem to struggle to attract much interest,

You're not alone.
It's the most common problem in online dating, men getting replies/messages.(although a lot of women will tell you that them getting lame and/or perverted messages is a bigger problem)

where am I going wrong people?

Believing there is way to go right, if you aren't a 6 foot tall male model driving a Ferrari.
Other threads on other forums here come to the conclusion that online dating sites are now all about pictures, so no matter what you write, sadly, in your profile OR in your messages, it won't matter at all if they don't like your pictures. And your pictures cannot be just any pictures, they have to be perfect pictures, right down to perfect distance, perfect clarity, perfect wardrobe, and perfect accessories.
Humor used to work well, so the best advice I can personally give is to try out as much humor as possible and hope it comes back in vogue.
Best of luck.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 14
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/11/2014 4:09:44 PM

Believing there is way to go right, if you aren't a 6 foot tall male model driving a Ferrari.
Other threads on other forums here come to the conclusion that online dating sites are now all about pictures, so no matter what you write, sadly, in your profile OR in your messages, it won't matter at all if they don't like your pictures. And your pictures cannot be just any pictures, they have to be perfect pictures, right down to perfect distance, perfect clarity, perfect wardrobe, and perfect accessories.
Humor used to work well, so the best advice I can personally give is to try out as much humor as possible and hope it comes back in vogue.

I agree with this if you want to go after the top 20% most messaged women here, having the perfect" rack and keister.

If you are however content to fish in the waters not beaten to a froth this is not true.

I have one picture, and I don't think many would say it is a good one. To top it off I wrote my profile to attract a very specific type of woman, most shudder and run. I have plenty of opportunity to meet the ladies I want to meet.

IMO the key is personality OP, yours just isn't quite there yet.

Oh, and NEVER ask the ladies to message you, if I remember correctly you did? Write a great profile and you won't need to ask, they will.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Forums_only
Msg: 15
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/11/2014 11:21:24 PM
MUCH better choice for a main, good editing.

Now how about changing out "Travel" and "Reading" for a couple of your favourite places and an author or two? A favourite comedian will also help your viewer get what style of humour you appreciate, and really, the point is for her to find things in common, right?
 BeachBikeHike
Msg: 16
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/12/2014 5:13:06 AM
Hi Richie,

The only change I recommend is your main pic. The one you have is OK, but the one in the striped shirt where you are outdoors is FABULOUS! Very flattering and gives off the impression that you really love to be outdoors. Cheers!
 BeachBikeHike
Msg: 18
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/12/2014 6:17:12 AM
Yes! Looks great :)

Many are going to criticize, because this main pic has sunglasses. But I think you should keep it.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 19
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/12/2014 6:26:44 AM
er, well I won't slam it for the sunnies, however to me there is a problem with it.
Remove the picture of the dead fish - majority of women dislike them
I'd make the last paragraph your first.. set yourself apart. The first two are pretty dry..
if she sees herself in the first them she'll read the rest.:)
Good luck
 Ainen
Msg: 20
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/12/2014 6:59:43 AM
I'm confident that fine fish (looks like a Mirror Carp) is alive and well, released seconds after the photo. In the UK Carp are revered.

One good strategy is to rotate your main photo, as some girls will prefer the striped shirt, some the hoodie, some the collared shirt with the interesting shade of blue.

Didn't see anything wrong with the text.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 24
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/12/2014 10:22:50 AM
Must just be me but - there is something funky happening with the crotchh of the white shorts.. maybe the shadow but I'd crop it
I bet carps HATE being caught.. are they called Koi?
 Forums_only
Msg: 26
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/12/2014 9:07:25 PM
Technically, the sunglasses are covering 1/3 of your face which is - technically - against the site rules and could get it deleted. Just sayin'...

I love fish and assumed it was a great catch... too bad.
 AquamarineBlue8
Msg: 28
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:04:05 PM
Tatersprout and forums_only gave you some good tips for writing a profile . Yours is too bland still and your interests plain vanilla.

Ditch the sunglasses, if you didn't like the green shirt, take another pic just like it with the same smile and at the same distance (or put it back as the main). Jazz up your profile and settle in for a long wait. That's how it is in the online dating world. Just keep plugging at it and concentrate being happy in your life.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 29
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:28:59 PM

No replies to my many messages sent out yet. Not good lol.

I hope you are sitting down, because I have some potentially devastating news.

While I certainly have not read every post ever posted in the profile review forum (so I might have missed one), I have yet to see any guy come back on here after following the advice given, and declare that they are now flooded with messages in their inbox and are now dating 7 nights a week. You can change it up until the cows come home, but if women in general are not inclined to be very active at this, the results won't change much.
But things could change at any time, so keep plugging along with humor.
Best of luck.
 AquamarineBlue8
Msg: 30
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:09:03 PM
Hi Ritchie,

I don't know if this will help but looking at other profiles might give you a clue on what we mean by an 'engaging' profile. I'm here just browsing and thinking about a guy that messaged me tonight over my goofy profile (I cast all cautions to the wind and did something weird). Anyway, he is so afraid of women wanting a sugar daddy. So I got the bright idea of putting 'gold digging' into my interests. If it comes up in blue (meaning it is a clickable link) it can be clicked and you can see others who used it as an interest. So one came up, a lady BBW smoker from Manchester. She tells it like it is in her profile and sheesh, it was refreshing to read (but her header is crappy, not funny like her 'About Me' or maybe it's British humor that I don't get). I'd date her if was looking for a good time. She is unapologetic in her words. Now whether she is like that IRL remains to be seen, you'd have to message her to find out. That's what we are trying to tell you: you need to stand out from the herd, put your bait out there and wait with a smile on your face. You have to catch their eye with your photo then hook 'em with your profile and interests. And that is just the start of it. (Actually this whole thing sucks big time, doesn't it?)

I love this place.....
 Ouija2025
Msg: 31
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:22:27 PM
Sorry, I am missing why this place sucks
You get exactly what you put out
simple concept..
When ppl ask for reviews yet don't follow most of the advise given
I reckon they cling to what they were told by their parents
" you are great.. "
Gotta show you are great
Otherwise, just another brick in the wall
Sorry but
 tatersprout
Msg: 32
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:55:58 PM
Richard,

Google "the definition of insanity".

I'm looking to meet a lady who is wanting a relationship, is genuine and has a good sense of humour. I like it when a girl knows what she wants and isn't afraid to say it. I'd like to meet someone who has a warm and caring personality, who is fun to be around and isn't afraid to take an adventure every now again. I'd also like someone who is affectionate and isn't afraid of showing that, just like myself.
Does this not describe your mom, your cousin, and the 85 year old lady down the street?
Do you want to date them?
You are describing practically every woman on the Earth (or at least they think so).

When you improve your photos and write up, you will get responses!
You are juggling your current pics instead of getting new and better ones.

Where is the energy, personality, individuality?

Ex: You love exploring and being adventurous. You actually said that twice.
How, exactly?
Do you parachute off cliffs? Tame sharks? Pick flowers by the side of the road?
Reflect on that at the pub over your pint and paint the picture.

You like nights out and nights in.
I bet you like to sleep and also be awake, too.

You need to inject some life into this...she needs to get excited about meeting you!

Divide into further paragraphs. Makes it much easier to read.
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Profile Review, Anyone?
Posted: 10/13/2014 7:31:51 PM
Hahaha absolutely hilarious headline....because it's just SO bad! I'm still laughing about it. I get it, I like to fish too but no woman wants to be compared to any fish, not even an angel fish, not even with "prize" in front of it. Maybe some badass, tattooed biker types would like shark or piranha or barracuda, but they're probably not your type. Or vice versa.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review, Anyone?