Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Any veterans familiar with the drug court program?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 1
Any veterans familiar with the drug court program?Page 1 of 1    
My son is a veteran of Afghanistan. He was medically discharged last year after 7 years of service due to PTSD. He's recently gotten into some serious legal trouble. We're trying to get him into veteran's drug court to get him some desperately-needed therapy. Does anyone know exactly how this program works?

I'm awaiting a return phone call from the local organization who can probably answer all my questions. I'm mainly interested in anyone's first-hand experience.

Thanks.
 StarClassic
Msg: 2
Any veterans familiar with the drug court program?
Posted: 10/14/2014 8:49:42 AM
I can't offer any specific advise on the issue you're faced with. What I can advise is you contact your local veterans advocate which I'm only guessing is the "local organization" you are waiting to hear back from.

While my service time was '80-'87, I do understand the oath and commitment of seven years. I also know the blessing and nightmare that VA can be.
Give your son a hug for those of us who truly care about his wellbeing. He will be on our prayer list here.
The following is simply to meet word count requirement, so please disregard.
VStar1100Classic the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs
It's still telling me I need to log in.
Maybe clearing cookies again. BRB.
 billingsmason
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/14/2014 1:15:57 PM
From what I've seen of drug court....... I would just do the time.
Often goes like this: 18 months in DC or 12 months in the hoosegow.
DC is every week, a wasted morning... any slip ups and you get extended or start over.
Many restrictions, some that are not even possible or rational.... and costs for everything.
(Buying a new tv without permission could mean another year)

You deal with people who control your life, and many aren't fit themselves.
You are put into "programs" and surrounded by idiots who are all just filling in the forms to get out.
Often these are folks too scared to do any time, yet still have the need to be seen as badasses.

His decision to act out and get into legal trouble is just that... a decision.
Decisions come with consequences.

He might just consider taking responsibility for himself and making better decisions in the future.

Only thing that sobers folks up is making up their mind to stop.
It may take a cell for him to see the light.... or a burning bush..... or a burning ford.... or he might just never stop.
His decision.
 Worbug
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2014 8:46:04 AM
Let me get this straight, your son, either through arrogance, sense of self entitlement, or total disregard for the law, chose to break the law and now you feel the resources of the VA should take care of his legal problems when, in a lot of cases, deserving veterans who do not break the law cannot get the proper care need needed.

Hats off to your son for serving his country, but as the accolades come from good deeds done, so should the shame from the bad. We do not live in a society where you do two good deeds so you get to do 2 bad deeds.

So, So tired of hearing parents try to justify their offspring’s bad /criminal behavior by having some kind of condition. Outside of a person drifting over the speed limit, there are no accidental crimes. By your words, serious legal problems, I am inclined to think he needs to take SERIOUS responsibility for his actions.

You mentioned Drug Court so am I to assume he has some kind of drug abuse. He may need some kind of therapy, I agree, but it should be at his own expense and not of the tax payer.

I for one, have ZERO tolerance for any person who has a drug addiction at this day and age. There are so many examples that everyone sees every day of how bad drugs rip your life apart, the damage it does to friends and family, and stangers of the drug user,
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/15/2014 9:29:49 AM
Shut up, worbug. You're just talking out your ass. You have no idea what war does to a kid, obviously. I am not justifying in any way what my son did. Maybe seeing your friends die around you messes with your mind. I have no idea. It's never happened to me or you.

He voluntarily served his country for 7 years, was honorably discharged and yes, he has addiction issues. He's not the only one. And he deserves some help. Just like you'll think you deserve some sort of free treatment when the cigarettes rot your lungs out.

femaleconnection
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/15/2014 9:43:51 AM

I for one, have ZERO tolerance for any person who has a drug addiction at this day and age. There are so many examples that everyone sees every day of how bad drugs rip your life apart, the damage it does to friends and family, and stangers of the drug user,

ffs

She is asking for experience with the VA and PTSD issues. She did not excuse anything, she described the issue at a high level.

You yourself are addicted to nicotine and the only difference is, your drug choice was legalized. Stop looking down your nose at people who are doing exactly what you do multiple times per day-give in to their addiction.

OP, I hope you find help for your boy. Where I live, Veterans are revered, but getting them actual practical help when things go bad is not easy -as funding is constantly being cut. Good luck.
 Worbug
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2014 9:47:53 AM
Not going to battle with you, you obviously went to my profile to find something to slam me on, good for you, I smoke. Maybe you should have took a little more time and read my profession before you state what I have no Idea of. I am a Retired Marine. I was Medicaly retired after 13 yearss as a result of the Gulf War. Was in armed conflicts for the majority of my time in the Corps. Don't need to get into gory details or a pissen contest with you.

Oh, Thank you for "Dumbing Down" your post for me so I could understand.
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/15/2014 9:54:05 AM
Thank you, femaleconnection. I absolutely do not condone my son's behavior, but like I said, seeing your friends being killed around you obviously changes a person -- probably makes you numb to life in general. I can't even imagine what that does to the psyche of a 20-year-old kid. He's been on a downhill spiral since he got back from Afghanistan, but certainly nothing as serious as the trouble he's in now. And while I'd like to blame the homeless stripper who was with him at the time and probably goading him, I know the ultimate decision to commit the crime was his.

I can only hope and pray that this ordeal makes him a better man and a better father to his precious little 6-year-old daughter who will always see him as her hero.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/15/2014 12:28:50 PM

Not going to battle with you, you obviously went to my profile to find something to slam me on, good for you, I smoke. Maybe you should have took a little more time and read my profession before you state what I have no Idea of. I am a Retired Marine. I was Medicaly retired after 13 yearss as a result of the Gulf War. Was in armed conflicts for the majority of my time in the Corps. Don't need to get into gory details or a pissen contest with you.

That's great, but just because you came out and didn't get into a drug problem, doesn't mean this is not a real issue for other soldiers. People self medicate every day when they don't get the help they need and I would think someone in your shoes would have a little empathy. Not everyone can witness a horror and walk away unscathed. In this regard, your stance on the OP...I say you don't have an idea of what her son is experiencing-how can you, you came out feeling OK about things. Just because you held a similar job does not mean you know how this man processed events or what he felt he had to do to survive afterwards. Good on you that you came home and were able to function, not all soldiers have that same experience.

You remind me of a female doctor who has never has monthly cramps. Therefor, she goes around making all her female patients feel guilty about wanting to discuss cramps. Just because the doctor doesn't get cramps, doesn't mean no other woman does.
 mike11091
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/18/2014 10:58:16 AM
And it's idiots like that that keep younger soldiers from getting the help they need.
They tell them they don't have a problem when they do. So instead of using the VA, they feel guilty and don't. Then they go and do crazy stuff because they didn't get help. IN THIS DAY AND AGE, advances in medicine have lead us to understand PTSD and that it's a real disease that can (amongst other things) lead to drug abuse.

My advice is to go through drug court. Even though it has some VERY stringent requirements, it will make him get treatment. Serving the time will not allow that and with PTSD, he needs treatment.

Despite what he might say, he needs it. If you feel guilty about using the VA, talk to their rep and let them explain why you shouldn't.

Source: My father works for the VA, I'm a vet....
 StarClassic
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/20/2014 12:22:01 AM
(QUOTE)People self medicate every day when they don't get the help they need and(QUOTE)
+1
Given VA's propensity for employing low grade, bottom of the barrel physicians, VA may well be the underlying reason for the young man's drug problem. It may well be he was not receiving the level of treatment he desperately needs. My own experience with VA points this possibility out.

(QUOTE) I would think someone in your shoes would have a little empathy.(QUOTE)
I'm about as hardline a conservative as you are likely to encounter. With that said, I for one DO believe there are those among us who are deserving of a HAND UP via taxpayer support. Society as a whole simply will not step up to the plate with donations. The church can only do so much with their limited donations. This leaves families and individuals in desperate and dire situations with nowhere to turn but taxpayer support. These people ARE NOT to be lumped in with the entitlement babies and their generational group enslaved by the welfare dependency foisted on them by those who feel they know how to live their lives for them.
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/20/2014 8:19:39 AM
Thank you, Mike. And thank you for your service also. We're on track with geting him into a treatment program and then on to drug court. I read the drug court manual and there are tons of rules and regulations, but it seems better than jail. Hopefully, this is the answer.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Any veterans familiar with the drug court program?