Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Hi could use some opinions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hockeyfan 101
Msg: 1
Hi could use some opinionsPage 1 of 1    
I've had a profile for a couple of years just wondering if I could get some tips on my profile I feel like its not grabbing some attention. Don't get many replies just wondering if it's my profile or not.
 Forums_only
Msg: 2
Hi could use some opinions
Posted: 10/13/2014 6:30:55 AM
- the main photo is too dark to be viewed on a little cellphone app
- you have a photo captioned 'first beer' but selected "I do not drink". Which is it?
- one of your photos - preferably the main - needs a BIG smile.
- many of the Interests are generic/useless. Replace those ones with specific one or two-word examples.
- no need to repeat your name.
- you need to create little paragraphs so it doesn't give your viewer a brain tumor trying to read it.
- you are looking for "HANGOUT". Girls your age hang out with their girlfriends. They are on this site looking for romantic attention. You already have friends, are you looking for someone you can slobber on or not?
- you say you will make her laugh. Prove it.

I look forward to a rewrite.
 tennistown
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/13/2014 7:27:05 AM

..... just wondering if I could get some tips on my profile

There has been some lively commentary
about the proliferation of bathroom
selfies on dating sites.

I tend to lean towards the side
favoring the "outside picture"
instead of the humid
"toilet and tub" photograph.

That's my tip-o-da-day.
Remove that picture
replacing it with one
taken outside.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:23:29 AM
Hi OP, what you have there is a very boring ho hum run of the mill yada yada yada yada yada paragraph. It does absolutely nothing to separate you from the crowd, for all practical purposes it is worthless.

Go to the profile tips at the top of the page in green, spend at least 30 minutes reading. Then construct a REAL profile based on those guide lines.

Then post back to THIS thread and someone will help you tweak it.

Best wishes

Jerry
 ScooterSB
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:37:42 AM
Main photo is poor.

All you seem to mention, both in photos and text is hokcey, surely there is more to you than on sport? What if a woman reading your profile isn't a hockey fan?
 hockeyfan 101
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/17/2014 1:09:38 AM
bump
how about now
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:37:18 AM
Hi OP, you are still missing the mark by a significant margin.

Don't tell them what you aren't good at, only what you are.

Never ask them to message you, you open AND close with that.

It lacks personality.

Have you read the profile tips at the top of the page in green?
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/17/2014 6:55:46 AM
A selfie in the bathroom? Really? That was as good as you could come up with for a main photo? A woman is looking at a page full of search results and deciding which one to click on. She's looking for a man who looks like he'd be fun and adventurous rather than a man who took a selfie after he just got done doing his business. Put up some photos of you having fun outside, vacation shots, whatever you have to do to get a woman to click on your photo and read your profile. And that dark photo is still there.

As for the profile, it's pretty generic. Put some enthusiasm into it. What are your goals? Where do you want to travel to? Talk about things you're passionate about.

Keep it positive. No one wants to read that you're bad at first impressions.

Don't ask a woman to message you. She probably won't. You need to message woman first and hope that your photos and profile dazzle her enough that she'll reply to you. Woman do message men first but there is probably something in his profile that really jumped out at her and made her want to know more about him. There's nothing about your profile that's overly different than the last 20 she read. Except for the part that you're a tolerant guy and will hang out nearby while she shops and goes to the spa. That's kind of cute.

Your username could be a problem. You've just alienated all the women out there who don't like hockey. And the women who do like hockey might be worried that you'd be spending lots of money going to hockey games. Or that you'd be sitting in front of the TV every time there's a hockey game on and if you've got satellite there is always a hockey game going on somewhere.

Good luck.
 Forums_only
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/17/2014 7:15:04 AM
Change "A few extra pounds" to the next level up. Someone looking for a big huggy bear won't find you.

This still stands:

you are looking for "HANGOUT". Girls your age hang out with their girlfriends. They are on this site looking for romantic attention. You already have friends, are you looking for someone you can slobber on or not?

Especially as you seem to be describing 'dating' in your profile. Correct that selection.
 tatersprout
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/17/2014 7:50:58 AM
Hi Taylor,

I'm sorry, but 60 or 70 is not a few extra pounds.

Do you really want to spend endless hours walking around a mall shopping with her?
You enjoy nail salon waiting rooms?
Gonna go to the dentist with her too for that quality time?

Your biggest weakness is makinf the first impression?
What do you mean?

I'm now looking for a relationship, but I'm not looking to jump into anything without getting to know someone first. I've never been married, so I'm pretty sure it won't kill me to take things slow and make sure we are compatible. If you are divorced, I'm totally OK with that. You had to leave him in order to find me right? :)

Anyways I think I wrote enough for now. Anything else feel free to ask or save for the first date.
Don't be bashful!

Everybody knows that dating comes before a relationship or marriage.
Why mention divorce at all?

No, you didn't write enough.
How can she ask if you don't give the info?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Hi could use some opinions