Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How can I spice up my chili?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 irishgirl772
Msg: 1
How can I spice up my chili?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I like spicy food but dont know what the ingredient is to make my chili hot. Ive added hot salsa, diced tomatoes with jalapenos, crushed red pepper. It still hasnt turned out right. What else can I add to spice it up? Tips appreciated.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 2
How can I spice up my chili?
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:19:58 AM
Simmer it longer. You gotta reduce the amount of water in it for the peppers to concentrate better.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:35:49 AM
Good advice. I will try that. Thanks.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:48:16 AM
Cayenne pepper is typically what is added to my family's recipe.
Maybe a couple of dashes of regular (freshly) ground black peppercorns will give a little kick.
Better that it is too mild rather than too spicy...since each person can adjust their own dish.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:54:50 AM
How much cayenne to use for 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef? 1 teaspoon? 1 tablespoon?
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/13/2014 12:03:26 PM
Chili powder is a common ingredient in chili. I use 2 or 3 different kinds. For example a small amount of a light colored one that is pretty hot along with a good amount of a darker one that has a more smokey flavor and less hot. Add less than you think you need and adjust accordingly at the end.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/13/2014 12:23:51 PM
I have heard of some recipes that specify Hungarian paprika be added to chili.
There have been some I've sampled yet didn't taste dramatically different to me.
 LoveCars523
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:29:56 PM
Cayenne pepper ! Start slow & work your way up to your desired heat.
I make a killer chili myself !

David
 CharminC
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/14/2014 9:05:51 AM
Research... trial and error .. would be the two ways you can get the spicy chili of your dreams
There are so many spices and things you can use... from the common pepper, cayenne , turmeric and paprika.. even horseradish root or mustard seed!
Different peppers; jalapeno, ghost, habanero, scotch bonnet, tabasco, etc etc... you may find them in gourmet or ethic markets. You can even cheat by using bottled hot sauce. There are so many on shelves.
 raxarsr
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2014 8:05:46 PM
best way i've found is to get a small can of habanero's in adobe sauce..............clean out the seeds...chop en fine and add the pepers and sauce.still not hot enough..add the seeds.....................also.....get a couple anahiem and pableno chillis.......fore roast the skns off.....chop fine and add.....not a lot of heat...bot it really "balances" the chilli
 bamagrl68
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/14/2014 9:48:33 PM
irishgirl772- Diced Tabasco peppers work well, for added kick, include the seeds. I add a hint of sweet to my chili with brown sugar, the sweet element really sets off the spice.
Good luck :)
 junipermoon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2014 7:36:13 AM
in addition to cayenne, i always use a bit of cinnamon and about a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. a few dashes of lime juice wouldn't hurt either.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/19/2014 8:51:28 PM
My son worked as an assistant to a chef. He said they added a few squares of dark chocolate to their chili as apparently the chocolate brings more flavour to whatever chili peppers you are using.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/19/2014 9:10:35 PM
I can totally see how the suggestions above of cinnamon, lime juice, and dark chocolate could all have their place in chili. A few dashes of tumeric powder might also do the trick. All of these ingredients have proven health benefits, too.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/22/2014 3:06:57 PM

I can totally see how the suggestions above of cinnamon, lime juice, and dark chocolate could all have their place in chili. A few dashes of tumeric powder might also do the trick. All of these ingredients have proven health benefits, too.

Da mn it you guys. You're making me hungry!!
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/8/2014 11:03:27 PM
Powdered stuff can work, but...

FRESH hot jalapenos (sometimes the big ones at the store aren't very hot -the smaller ones tend to be hotter -but not always) -finely chopped (don't rub your eyes and wash your hands afterward) -and cooking them too long in the chili will definitely mellow the heat -so don't add them at the beginning (or add some at the beginning and some toward the end). The flavor is very different -much better -if they are fresh.
Habaneros are good -but take even more precautions -even avoiding breathing the vapors while working with them -and definitely cook them to mellow the heat.

I grow and dry my own peppers -then process them into a coarse powder for when I get too lazy to chop. Still better than the store-bought stuff.
 TooShadows
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2014 12:10:58 PM
It's often hard to get fresh peppers up here,so I like to use ground red chili peppers in mine. About a heaping tablespoon for a 4 quart pot. That's good hot,work-up-a-sweat-but-don't burn-your-mouth chili.
 JimfromCDGA
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2014 1:50:11 PM
If you have a Wegman's near you, go to the Italian section and get the small jar of their hot pepper spread.

Very nice heat to it!!

Jim
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/17/2015 4:02:13 PM
I would say that all of these suggestions point you in the right direction.
It's better to spice your creations on the mild side, rather than make it too hot for some . You can always have some extra chopped peppers on the side to heat it up, but if you overdo it, you're in trouble :) Just one chili of the really hot varieties can make a 6 qt. batch un-eatable !
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 4:26:36 PM
son gave me a small bottle of "Da' Bomb" hot sauce for Christmas.

Scoville units off the chart.

Adds no taste of its own but will heat up anything you add it to.

First test: a SMALL amount in New Years day Hoppin' John. Yep! I added too much and it was sweating. Quite enjoyable, though.
Second batch: a pot of chilli a week or so later - nailed it! just enough heat to make it interesting.

Don't know where son purchased the bottle. Glad he did

TK
[Article in WSJ (S/S edition) back in Dec about why we like hot/spicy food. Yup, Yup]
 sunflowersalways
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/25/2017 8:13:49 PM
I like to add cumin and tumeric... Franks hot sauce, pkg onion soup mix and a nice red wine to taste... also like tomato juice instead of tomato soup........:)
 stenomage
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2017 3:49:17 PM
I read an account in one of my crock pot cook books about a woman that used the *ENTIRE CAN* of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in her batch of chili!

Needless to say, it was a wee bit too spicy. Fortunately, three of her friends also made chili that day, so each of them gave her a quarter of their chili in exchange for one quarter for each of theirs (not too clear on exactly how they did that), and disaster was averted -- this time!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How can I spice up my chili?