Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Does my profile suck?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dusty.Paths
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does my profile suck?Page 1 of 1    
I'd love to hear suggestions on how to improve it. Am I using the right profile pic? I'm a professional photographer, but I seem to have a blindness when it comes to myself. I don't think I've ever looked good in a photo.

Any other feedback? Cheers.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 2
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/13/2014 11:04:47 PM
Hi OP, my great grandaddy had a saying. "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is".

I would normally recommend cutting the "nice" guy stuff, cuddles and doing wash to name a few.

However, since we are kinda at the extreme ends of what we are looking for in a woman I am hesitant to say definitively that it couldn't work for what you seek.

There will be others to stop by and add their input, I will be interested to see what they have to say.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 3
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 12:57:59 AM
It's nice to read a profile from somebody with a firm grasp of social justice; it's a rarity to see...and thus, greatly appreciated.

I know you're 29, according to your profile ... but I sincerely doubt that you don't possess any baggage. As you become older and experience more, internationally and in your personal relationships in them, you will aquire and tow more; it's life. It also matters what you do with these, those life experiences, that count a great deal in your overall perspective.. I think it's also very cliche, and every time I read 'baggage' in reference to allegedly lived experiences they pretend didn't reshape their perspectives; I think: "oh, they're full of shit."

I also would like to assert that the part about "being a man" is completely unnecessary, and especially in our culture. Being a responsible human being is one who is responsible for oneself, and that includes domestic duties. Yes, I understand that you partake in the upkeep of your home or flat, as you're responsible for your own well-being -- but that's expected and not an exception, and certainly not something of which women should make deep considerations in a mate separately of everything else to consider, because it's assumed you'll be responsible for these things. As I said before, social justice, the positive perspective a man has in equality in relationships and building and reshaping lives is what's appealing. You're belaboring the obvious, here, with "I'm a man" nonsense and you're doing so to get dates, which makes you appear disingenuous, though I believe this isn't your intention. Consider revising this or eliminating it.

I also know from your profile that you worked in four developing countries -- but what have these experiences taught you? You needn't elaborate, but did it change your perspective about your sheltered life in Canada? what? The experiences means nothing to the reader without detail...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 4
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:30:29 AM
What other kind of spelunking is there besides cave?
I'd keep the freaky photo for FB
No baggage? Really? Want a few of my suitcases??
Well written but I disliked the Azzhole bit, I then read your profile in a different mindset.
Why reference past lovers?
Being able to cook and clean up after yourself isn't praiseworthy.. nor is it your fem side unless you think we are born not conditioned to toil in the house :/
Interests are a bit much
 tatersprout
Msg: 5
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 10:10:02 AM
Hi,

Let your name show. It's friendlier.

Interest list is very long. No need to include everything you can think of.
Lose 3-6 of them.

I get a good idea of your personality, but I think you could dial it back and still maintain the essence.
I don't see where the first 2 paragraphs are helping; they are fluff.
First few lines are what's visible in searches--make an impact.

So you just referenced past partners. Not a good idea.
Don't tell how others describe you.

The "views about men and women" feels like a diatribe.
It really is expected that by your age you would be fully independent.
I'm not sure your views on gender roles is appropriate...and feels like bashing.
No need to talk about your masculinity nor your feminine side...just describe you.

You write well; nice job overall.
 Dusty.Paths
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 1:33:34 PM
Thanks much for your advice. I have received maybe a half-dozen e-mails admiring some of those parts, even proposing dates based on them, but I think that you're right, and that the amount of interest I haven't received base on them, which is of course unknowable, probably outweighs the few who were specifically intrigued by them.

I've made some radical changes, hopefully to more avail.

*About half of my friends are women, I will mention, and from the uncountable stories I've had relayed to me, I don't know if it's the case everywhere in the world that self-sufficient and respectful men are the rule, rather than the exception. Perhaps you live in a good area, or I live in a bad one :) in any case, I think you're right that it's not a prudent thing to state, all-told.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 7
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 2:01:11 PM
So Jared, travelled that much - yet she MUST live within 75 miles of you. :/ I'd lose the restrictions, you have know idea if she is planning to move/attend Uni/etc.
Your prose if very well, prosey.. I'd expect you to be much older until I double check the age.
Every Summer for a number of years we travelled by the dog to Sask.. apparently everyone has relatives in Yorkton.
No idea what type of msgs you sending out
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 5:57:09 PM
I've been to Saskatoon and if she's not within 75 miles then you're gonna need that helicopter..

Your first paragraph is one sentence with a bunch of periods instead of commas. Semi-colons would be even better.

Your pics aren't bad but the captions aren't great. It's a good opportunity to make fun of yourself, especially the chippendale one.
 Dusty.Paths
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:16:05 PM
Is prosey a terribly bad thing?

Donkey; good idea on the Chippendale's caption. I wear bow ties often so it didn't immediately occur to me.

This may be a controversial question; I love powerlifting and can deadlift over 300 lbs --- the statistical data say it'd be a good idea to include what you might call a "physique shot" of doing this... but I don't want to come off as a meathead. Any thoughts?
 VirtuousDonkey
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Does my profile suck?
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:46:01 PM
Prose is fine, it's the punctuation that makes it sound ordinary.....I think. lol

This may be a controversial question; I love powerlifting and can deadlift over 300 lbs --- the statistical data say it'd be a good idea to include what you might call a "physique shot" of doing this... but I don't want to come off as a meathead. Any thoughts?

Depends on the pic and the caption, shirtless IMO is a no no. Competition pics can be good but you have to show some real humility in the caption
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Does my profile suck?