Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > need honest review of my profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweetie1537
Msg: 1
need honest review of my profilePage 1 of 1    
I haven't gotten many responses to my profile. The few that did respond were too young or too far away one guy called once and said he'd call the next night and never called again. I'm ready to give up on ever dating or getting married at this point and there are no men in the area I live in that would be worth my time.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 2
view profile
History
need honest review of my profile
Posted: 10/16/2014 11:53:35 AM
Hi sweety,

I'll be honest, your profile needs some work.

Photos: These are poor, they are all very similar selfies and all taken from an unflattering angle. Like me your someone who is a fuller figure, nothing wrong with that at all, but if you look down in photos it can make you look larger than you actually are. Your photos should show you AT YOUR VERY BEST to make a great first impression. Have a new headshot where the camera is either level with your head, or even a little higher so your look upwards. Dress to impress in this photo, think about how you would look on a first date. Have the photo take outside, natural light is your friend.

Text: The first three lines read like a job application, no one is interested in your entire education history, they just want to know your current status. In your second paragraph you mention sex twice, this is a no-no, this acts as a calling card to every weirdo and perv who thinks your just here for sex. You also state things that should go without saying, such as that you wouldn't share a man with another woman....well...obviously!

Talk more about things you are passionate about, what do you do for fun? Try and use words like 'adventure' and 'excitement' men respond well to them.
 Whirled_Peas
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/16/2014 12:04:22 PM
Better lit pics where the light does not shadow your eyes.

Straighten your clothes - don't appear you're sloppy when you're not.

Look directly into the camera - not down.

Full length pic is a must. Guys want to know what they're getting. Doesn't matter if you're a heavy women, flaunt who you are.
 Whirled_Peas
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/16/2014 12:06:51 PM
To add to the above: You're profile is loaded with, " I want, I'm looking for, etc, etc., - too many demands! What can YOU bring to the table, instead?
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/16/2014 12:15:26 PM
Hi sweetie, the first thing I suggest you do is delete the profile you have currently. Then go up to the top of the page, in green you will see profile tips. Read them as well as the comments, then write a profile based upon what you learned.

I can easily understand you have not gotten many responses, there are numerous things wrong/lacking from your profile and your request for review.

If there is one universal thing that people are attracted to it is no doubt confidence, few are attracted to whiny/needy.

I suspect you may resist, but the first thing you need is a full body shot. Men and women alike want to see what the person looks like generally speaking.

Little doubt you already know this, but you are going to be fishing in a smaller pond than many ladies are, but there are certainly men available that appreciate ladies of your body type, the key is to be confident in who you are.

Do the things I suggested, then bump this thread back to the top and we will have another look.

Best wishes

Jerry
 tennistown
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/16/2014 12:44:39 PM

I haven't gotten many responses to my profile.

But, you are getting some? Good!

With a little rewriting
and a couple of new pictures,
your response rate may skyrocket.

My review will focus on your "First Date" section.

First Date
start with something to drink and see where it goes from there

Are we talking milk, lemonade, coffee or tea?
Or,
something stronger?

You might insert your beverage choice preference into your first date idea.

Glass of wine.
Couple of beers.
Knock the top off a keg.
Pull straight from the jug.

That little bit of information
may draw in a man
that enjoys the same kind of drink.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/16/2014 1:47:38 PM

That little bit of information
may draw in a man
that enjoys the same kind of drink.

This is very true, for all practical purposes I do not drink, when I see "get a drink" in a woman's profile I almost without exception move along, assuming she means of the alcohol variety.

As a rule, generalizing is not a productive way to gain someones interest, be specific in everything you write.
 irishgirl772
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/16/2014 3:29:39 PM
Delete the entire 2nd paragraph. Too many sex references. They dont belong in your dating profile. Get some new clear photos too.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/17/2014 11:26:08 AM
Good afternoon, Sweetie,

Your entire "About Me" section needs to be deleted and re-written. Your second profile is laden with references to sex, and they belong on your profile. I don't know if that level of sex referencing is reportable, but for your convenience, it's better you leave those surprises for your partner.

The first paragraph has all to do with your finances and living arrangements and job desires; these are not for the dating public to know and these are things you can discuss with any prospective date. There are many people who've I come across who are in share living spaces with flatmates, family, and boarders, situations which weren't included on the profile, and ones in which I was not very concerned. Others may not agree; but I think it places you in a position of vulnerability, though it's clearly not the case -- many people have chosen such living arrangements for the same reasons. So long as you're not living off your parents or have an ex or current hiding in there, it's fine.

Best wishes on your search.

Cheers!
 tatersprout
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/17/2014 1:13:27 PM
Sweetie,

It's awful...honestly.

You need better pics right away, as already mentioned.

This is what I know about you according to what you've written:
1. You attended a "for profit" questionable, mainly online college and had a high GPA which should be impressive to a date.
2. You are looking for sympathy or praise over caring for a sick relative.
3. You don't have a job.
4. At 38, you can't support yourself.
5. You like sports and music.
6. You dates must live <35 miles away.
7. You have a lot of men in foreign countries contacting you.
8. You like to cook and clean in a man's house as sexual foreplay and have costumes.
9. You have been used for sex a lot.
10. You have been in relationships where men always demand that you text while driving and need to explain why it's a bad idea.
11. You have been asked or been involved in sexual threesomes.
12. You want a supportive man that takes care of all your needs and willing to get kinky outside his comfort zone.
13. You've had ONS's and FWB's since you mention that you don't want them.
14. You want someone older than you (I assume that he will financially support you and has his own place so you don't have to live with dad and brother anymore).

So what in all that would make you a great catch and make men come beating a path to your door?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > need honest review of my profile