Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > age set in Search ignored      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CarArt1
Msg: 1
view profile
History
age set in Search ignoredPage 1 of 1    
Why does Search ignore my age preferences? No matter what I set my minimum age to, Search resets it to 54 and above. Is POF really telling me who I should date? Not everyone is the same age mentally, physically, socially, as their numerical age.
 CarArt1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
age set in Search ignored
Posted: 10/25/2014 6:48:42 AM
In reading further, I see other post about this. Look, I'm not looking to date teens, even those 20-40, but certainly I get a lot of interest from those 45 and above in my life but on POF I can't search for anyone under 54? 12 years my junior? Please, I see women in their 50-60s saying in their profiles about getting messages from men in their 20s, 30s, 40s, why the gender discrimination towards men in our Search for someone with similar interest?
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/25/2014 11:24:21 AM
As I recall, the pof restriction is on a -14/+14 years difference basis -- I don't know why you're unable to reach somebody of 52; that's still an age of a woman quite considerably younger than you. This restriction, ideally, is suppose to prevent the randy old codgers in their quite advanced years from preying on women in their adult teens and twenties.

If you really searched this, you'd see there is an ever-growing thread in this forum about age restrictions. You'll see scads of men in your age bracket whinging and whining about the very same thing. You'd have also read that some of these people are getting annoyed by men with fake profiles (men in their twenties inventing profiles of 40 year old men) to circumvent those mandated filters to contact and prey on women far too mature for them. (I've had this unfortunate experience.)

The rule applies to me, as well, though I wouldn't consider and carry on a relationship with anybody younger than 31.

wolfmanitoba
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:05:55 AM

If you really searched this, you'd see there is an ever-growing thread in this forum about age restrictions.

Trying to post in that thread gives me this message:

You have reached the max number of times you can post to this thread.

This needs to end. Would an organized petition convince the POF staff to get rid of these age restrictions? That's about the only solution I can think of.
 4forumzgal
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/28/2014 3:46:21 PM

Is POF really telling me who I should date?

Not at all. You can DATE whoever you want - your 25 year old next door neighbour if you wish - but you cannot CONTACT anyone +/- a 14 year age difference on POF. That goes for men and women.

This restriction, ideally, is suppose to prevent the randy old codgers in their quite advanced years from preying on women in their adult teens and twenties

Exactly and vice versa. It's not nice for a woman of my age, for instance, getting messages from the young blokes younger than my son wanting.......stuff............ Gross!

Markus made some changes a while back to "clean up" his site and many of us applaud that.
 andieisme
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2014 4:06:44 PM
As a woman who was not only contacted by many men several years older than myself (sometimes older than my mom! Yikes!) I can't say I completely agree with POF's decision to impose these restrictions on users. It is easy enough to simply ignore/block those you don't want to connect with.

My dad is 19 years older than my mom. They did meet as neighbors, many years ago, and are still married. It can work. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is also not anyone's business but their own.

PS - All this restriction does is encourage fake profiles.
 somethingnew1013
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:34:48 PM
One of the longest , most satisfying relationships I had was with a woman 16 years younger than myself. As another posted on here, it's easy enough to put your own age restrictions on your profile. That's fine, but when POF dictates what is "age appropriate", that's not fine at all!!
 wolfmanitoba
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/29/2014 6:12:41 PM

As another posted on here, it's easy enough to put your own age restrictions on your profile. That's fine, but when POF dictates what is "age appropriate", that's not fine at all!!

Exactly!
 TooShadows
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2014 10:30:40 AM
Check out the "My City" category. You'll probably be able to see profiles of all ages. I'm not sure if you can contact them though.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > age set in Search ignored