Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > profile review please      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Forums_only
Msg: 2
profile review pleasePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
But you ARE getting replies from some of the women you contact? What seems to be the problem, then?

(there are a list of things you could change in your profile, but if you are getting replies, I don't know why you'd want to).
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 3
profile review please
Posted: 10/28/2014 7:49:46 PM
I agree that if it's working, don't think an overhaul is necessary. You'll never get a 100% return rate. Focus on the quality (are the replies turning into dates?) rather than quantity.

I do recommend actually answering questions. N/A and "prefer not to say" comes across as evasive and dodgy because you aren't giving answers to simple, direct questions.
 Forums_only
Msg: 6
profile review please
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:54:48 PM
"Wants to date but nothing serious" = f-buddies, FWBs. If that's what you're looking for, don't change it. If you are ultimately wanting to meet one great girl, consider a change.

You have a photo of what looks like you taking a whizz up against a wall. Not good.

"Prefer not to say"= we'll make sh1t up in our minds and it will be worse than what you would've put.

You have no Interests = you are boring.

The profile body is so full of yourself I thought it was a joke. If someone gets that far into your profile, they're going to wonder why you'd want to spend time with anyone other than yourself. Confidence is fine, arrogance is a turnoff. Can you see the difference and why you shouldn't have to explain it?

Start with those ideas and see if you want to make any changes. If you do, post back to this same thread for more feedback.
 2015LadyLove
Msg: 7
profile review please
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:25:19 PM
The shirtless picture looks like you are peeing!
 tennistown
Msg: 9
profile review please
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:59:59 PM

.... for some reason I do not get nearly as much replies as I would like.

^^^^^ That statement is not unheard of.
Let's take a look at your profile..................

Your "Headline" looks like a construction workers catcall.

TheChosen1on: hey you! talk to me!

Don't mean this in a**** way but I am a man who is used to getting what I want....

How do you think the women are taking this sentence?

First Date
......... if you're super awesome like I am :P, I'll make sure our second date is super fun! :) It would be a surprise! ;)

I'm sure it would be a BIG surprise.
But, for a even a second date,
nobody want to be surprised.
Save that for date 14.

I suggest making a few changes for the better!
 Forums_only
Msg: 13
profile review please
Posted: 10/28/2014 10:55:14 PM

It can be cringing but I figured with online dating you'd have to include such details about yourself

OK, leave it then. If you don't mind your viewer cringing when she reads it, who am I to argue. As freakin' awesome, talented, funny and intelligent as I am, I never felt I needed to bash anyone in the face with it. It just came as a pleasant surprise when we met.

You can choose to describe your qualities, or you can SHOW your qualities (humour, intelligence, etc.) Again, if this is working for you now, why mess with it, right?
 ScooterSB
Msg: 15
view profile
History
profile review please
Posted: 10/29/2014 2:01:03 AM
Do you ever smile? You look dull and boring in your photo graph. SMILE it makes you look warm, fun and friendly.

Delete the first section, no reader is interested in how many times you have been on pof before or how many great people you have met. No one cares.

Switch the second and third section round, talk about yourself first THEN talk about your perspective partner, it sounds a little demanding otherwise.

Give real life examples of how and when you show the qualities you list, otherwise it's just nice words. How are you honest? In what ways do you value loyalty? How are you a good communicator? In what ways do you not take yourself seriously? How so you show your sense of humour. Prove what you say.

Take out the part about 'bullsh*t personality' swearing is not attractive in a profile.

Hope that is helpful
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 16
profile review please
Posted: 10/29/2014 2:44:24 AM

It's online dating, you cannot SHOW your qualities. You have to describe them

Let me give you an example. Which do you think would work best, and generate the most conversation?
"I like to try new things"
"I went windsurfing in the Caribbean last year, it was amazing"
... see, one is describing qualities, the other is showing them.

Headline mentioning anger seems like a bad first impression, and get rid of the txt speak.

Photos are all bad, the main is bad quality and unsmiling, the 2nd is ust your back (dunk? no, what I am thinking is "why has he got his back turned to the camera"), the 3rd is too old and bad quality. You need a whole new set of pics that shows you AT YOUR BEST.

The first paragraph is off-putting. Nobody cares if you've been here before.
Switch your paragraphs around: describe yourself first, before your ideal woman.
Saying you're used to getting what you want, makes you sound controlling.
The last sentence WTF, older brothers?? I don't get it.
Describing your ideal woman's physical attributes is not a good idea, take out beautiful, sexy, feminine, takes care of herself, the hair colours, and nice curves.

Get rid of the negativity from your first date. Don't talk about what happens if you don't like each other.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 19
profile review please
Posted: 10/29/2014 5:21:11 AM
Dude you're far from unphotogenic. Although your main photo is terribly bad quality, a mirror selfie with the phone in shot (worst type except for public bathrooms)... at least it has the main element, a nice smile! Now if this same pic were taken in your local park, taken by someone else (just ask a passing stranger to take a pic to send to your mom or whatever).... you'd be sorted.

Shirtless pics are against POF rules, and the tongue pic... just no.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 21
profile review please
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:29:10 AM
You have a spelling mistake in your interests
You use the word I far too much - makes for a dull read, and like you are far too self absorbed
Instead of saying WOMEN say Woman, doubt you going to get a harem :P
Add your first name
Main too blurry
Last one was what, high school? No, pictures should be current
Maybe the first time was a fluke :)
I've never in my Life known someone who " always gets what they want" even those who don't set the bar very high
JMO good luck
 Ouija2025
Msg: 23
profile review please
Posted: 10/29/2014 3:31:28 PM
Akim,
lose the disclaimer, just put up new photos as you get them ( and rotate them).
You have Other as a language.. I am guessing it means it is not all that common - fun fact to include
You only want to date women with dark hair? Given women change their hair color ( often) you are missing out on some possible good matches.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 26
profile review please
Posted: 10/29/2014 4:42:57 PM
I am going to be watching you young man LOL
Trust me, the others will chime in soon.
Hey, do you say A KIM or AH KIM?
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 27
profile review please
Posted: 10/30/2014 2:55:31 AM
Nobody is going to "stay tuned". They will look at your bad photos, hit the "next" button, and never look at your profile again.

You have 1 chance per viewer. Make it count.

"Disclaimer" is pointless. Just put up good pics, not excuses for bad ones.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 29
profile review please
Posted: 10/30/2014 5:44:57 AM
Get rid of the disclaimer!!!!
No, so lame it was off my mouse pad ( altho some say Satan is my Daddy)
Women aren't going to stay tuned, one chance so make the best impression you can Akim
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 30
profile review please
Posted: 10/31/2014 8:40:42 AM
That last paragraph is awful. Delete it and re-write it with eloquence and respect for your prospective date.
 tatersprout
Msg: 31
profile review please
Posted: 10/31/2014 10:29:18 AM
Hi Akim,

Great advice offered; follow it.
Using the words "douche" and bullsh1t"...seriously?
Everybody here is honest and sensitive.
"Friends describe me as" has got to be one of the most overused phrases here.

So are you a beautiful, intelligent, caring, playful and affectionate woman? I adore a genuine, REAL (what you see is what you get ) down to earth woman who is sexy and is comfortable being feminine. Physically my type of woman takes care of herself, dresses modestly but still feels sexy, perhaps wearing clothes tailored to her figure and beautiful curves ;), but in all honesty I'm a sucker for a great personality above anything else!
This has to go.
Huge turnoff. Makes you shallow.
You should not be describing physical qualities.
There are other ways to get your point across.

So you are an honest guy that likes music and beautiful women. Doesn't that describe every man here?
Don't explain why 1st date should be short...it's understood.
 petula1908
Msg: 32
profile review please
Posted: 10/31/2014 12:24:50 PM
How many do you want?? Most men dont get any at all and if you are getting some response, you are ahead of the game.The really hot looking gals may not be real, you know. lol! And.... all that you want, does she really have to be online???. She would be swamped wherever she goes, in real life. Get so many messages she would have her choices aplenty and yes, even average looking gals get loads of messages on here. The numbers are skewed against men and you have heavy competition.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > profile review please