Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help! I need a profile review from a womans perspective!!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 theartvandalay81
Msg: 1
Help! I need a profile review from a womans perspective!!!Page 1 of 1    
Im not sure what's up but I send a lot of messages, the girl looks at my profile and I have had very few replies. I have had no replies from women I am actually attracted to. Maybe I am out of my league but I'd like to think im a decent looking guy....lol. Please help! I am pretty insecure about my smile so I don't show teeth in my pics. I have good teeth but whenever I show them in pics it looks like I'm trying to be rediculous.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 2
Help! I need a profile review from a womans perspective!!!
Posted: 10/29/2014 8:12:53 AM
You must overcome your fear of showing teeth. If you hide something, they will assume the worst. Black, rotten stumps and breath that could kill a horse from 50 paces. Good first impression...? Your main also has a hat and screwed up eyes - not good. The 2nd pic looks like something out of The Shining. You need more, better pics including a foll body shot.

Headline with txt speak, not good first impression either.

Personality class clown I wouldn't recommend, women don't date the class clown, they laugh at him.

Prefer not to say if you have kids? Same logic as hiding your teeth. They will assume you have 17 kids to 14 different mothers.

When I see your about me, the first thing I notice is one big block of text, with a lot of "..." and some ***'s. Very hard to read. You need to sort out your formatting, write with proper grammar and remove profanity.

Get rid of all the negativity. If you've kindof given up on this site then why would anyone bother to write to you? Don't insult your potential audience by calling them time-wasters, and don't be bitter, jaded or negative. Those are not attractive traits. Would you walk into a bar and say "hey this bar is rubbish. The drinks are warm and the women are all ugly. Hey there, can I buy you a drink?"........... how well do you think you'd do with that pick up line? This is exactly what you're doing, with this negative, ranting profile.
 theartvandalay81
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/29/2014 8:40:10 AM
Thanks for the tips. I see your points and agree with you on most of them. An actual girl from POF recommended the hat pic as my main. Difference in opinion I guess.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2014 8:45:41 AM
Do you have ridiculous eyes too? What about the top of your head? Is that ridiculous? Both are covered by that cap. Some great advise a female reviewer on here once said is "The sexiest thing a man can wear is a smile". Just sayin.

As for the text, there is so much negativity. You need to sell the positives of you, rather than selling the short comings of all other men, or even this site.

...odd I know.... I've kindof given up on this site for meeting anyone worthwhile.... This site has proven to me that there are a lot of time wasters out there so if you are not serious about meeting then why waste your time and mine...... I am not a bum......I'm not an ego maniac and don't send****pics..... If you are tired of losers and tired of jerks that want nothing but sex right from the start then message me...... OK.....thats enough of that! I don't have a six pack.... Im going to be picky....

Does this sound like nice dateable, boyfriend material? All this talk can go!

You sound like you want a pat on the back because you don't send d*** pics and you don't talk about sex in the first message, newsflash, YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THOSE THINGS. Is a reader really thinking "wow he must be great because doesn't do something that your supposed to do." as Chris Rock would say "what do you want, a cookie?"

How do you think your potential dater will think when she reads that you have given up on the idea of finding someone special on this site, and you think most people are time wasters? "Hey, we probably arn't going to have anything special, and your probably a time waster, but hey, lets date!"

You have every right to be picky and not settle, but you have to remember she has that right too.

If we take out all the negative stuff what we are left with is this.....

Love the water....Love animals....love football! I am a big K State Fan and Huge Redskins fan. I am from a small town and have old fashioned small town values but I have lived in other states been to other countries and I can hang with just about anybody. I am a big believer in fate so that is reason enough to try. I have a great sense of humor and I have the most genuine personality you are going to find. I'm a great guy and I won't settle. I'm a considerate, intelligent, genuine and hard working guy. I have a successful career and I work out every day, I try to take care of myself. If I message you please get to know me ... I'm worth it!

Now this IS nice and this guy IS datable. Talk more about your sense of humour, you refer to yourself as a 'class clown', great make the reader laugh, or talk about things that make you laugh. What are your passions in life? Women love a passionate man with fire in his belly. You say you have a good stable career, what is it? Being financially stable is an attractive attribute in a man. What attributes do you find attractive in a woman? What is it like to date you? What does romance mean to you?
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/29/2014 8:56:06 AM

An actual girl from POF recommended the hat pic as my main.

And since you followed her advice, has your inbox been overflowing with messages from attractive, interesting, exciting, passionate girls wanting to meet you?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/29/2014 9:11:02 AM
You are a good looking Man, pity you don't send dik piks Joking!!!
You need more than 2 pictures, at least one full body
It is full of negativity - don't put down other guys, don't whine you have near given up on this site - who likes a quitter?
Add your first name.
Lose the not settling bit
Don't demand they reply to your messages, no reply is a reply.
WOMEN, not girls, WOMEN
Having prefer not to say re children makes me think you have kids by different women.
 tennistown
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:24:26 AM

I have had no replies from women I am actually attracted to.

That is strange.
That's the same thing, the attractive women have also been complaining about.
It's a small world.

I have a great cultured personality and wit

If you have it, I suggest you use it.
If you've got it, flaunt it!

So, ladies, I am not on here looking for just sex or a "friends with benefits".
On the other hand, a night in on the couch cuddled up with that special someone watching a movie would be just as nice.

Yeah! Culture and wit!

After reading your profile,
Those are the exact words
I was going to say
that best describe your dating profile.

Culture and wit, lol. (Not.)

I suggest removing the cuddling, just sex, and FwB.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/31/2014 4:30:45 PM

If I send you a message and you happen to read it, please either let me know.
For $10 a month (or whatever the price of an upgraded membership is), you can know this without begging her to reply to you. And many guys who do want "no thanks" actually just want to continue the conversation.
 petula1908
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/31/2014 5:03:40 PM
dont show pics of your children please. It is not appealing, just foolish, in cyberspace. Just you and a full length shot as well. Smiling is always best. If you have good teeth show them, how easy is that?? We are all unique and what "average" means, I dont know.

I am sure you know that men outnumber women on dating sites like these by at least 10-1. The hot ones will be inundated and of course many of them are fakes or flakes too. So the pics upfront are crucial to whether a woman will be interested initially.

By the way, if a woman doesnt respond she is not interested. Simple. She wont bother to say so. She will be dealing with many other requests if she is anywhere near attractive. Many men get resentful and abusive when they are actually rejected with words, so why would she bother?

Keep the profile positive and forget any other negative comments.
 gingersnapOH
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/31/2014 7:19:34 PM
If a woman is interested, she will automatically ask why you are cultured and have wit, without you having to tell her that she has to ask. (I mention in my profile I speak several languages, I don't say - hey ask me which ones! - but have yet to have any man ask me which ones.......lol)

I didn't look at the caption, but I figure that is your kid. Does your ex know you are posting pics of your kid on a dating website? I would be none too pleased if my ex were doing that. Or anyone. Kids don't really belong on dating websites.

You are handsome, so, it is someone about what you say, or your dating pool is small. I don't live near you and I have a feeling, culturally, the people may be different - so it may be hard for me to suggest what types of things to say to real in midwestern women.

Oh - and guys who say "I am not interested in fwb, or easy sex" are AlWAYS (always!!) interested in easy sex. Guess how I know. I have been here a while. Statistics. Take it out. Aren't we all interested in easy sex, anyway? Just sayin....lol
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/1/2014 8:52:53 AM
Your ridiculousness comes from your demands that the women you "actually like" respond to you when they don't want to respond to you. Delete that last sentence, along with your false promises, and strike this expectation out of your head. Soonest. It's most unattractive, and it makes you appear quite controlling.

Maybe you are "out of your league" in expecting that you are entitled to receive messages from women you like, regardless of what they may prefer and want. (They don't owe you anything.)The world doesn't revolve around you and you're not entitled to anybody's affection or attention just because you merely exist. These are not attributes of a cultured, intelligent person, not in the least.

As far as your wit is concerned, it's absent from your profile, as well as maturity. I suggest you work on these character irregularities, before you compose another limp profile.
 Forums_only
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/1/2014 10:39:04 AM
Things that would be red flags for me:

No smile with open lips. As already explained, we want to know you have teeth. No need to do a giant cheeseface, just open lips and grin.

Photo of a child on an online adult dating site. This shows incredibly naivete and flies against anything anyone could say about being a parent. For so many reasons, lose that photo.

Generic Interests. I don't recall any specific examples in this field that would set you apart from the herd.

Generic profile. You start of explaining how you're not the average guy then go on to give no personality, humour or description that would prove otherwise.

If there's no personality in a profile, I can't imagine how a conversation with you would go. Would your viewer have to be interrogating you for information? carrying the conversation herself? Will you be holding your lips together the whole time being self-conscious about how you look? Who has time for that....

It always surprises me when people think they look decent enough but still expect they should be swamped with messages from women. Just as not every woman on this site is your idea of a great beauty and a good match, it works both ways. You have no idea what she is looking for and, as already stated, no response IS a response, just not the one you want. It will not be a good experience if you equate responses rates to your looks, it just doesn't work that way.

Start with a smile. That's your first impression and you're already blowing it. Once you've done some thoughtful editing, post back here for some high-fives.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/1/2014 11:02:11 AM
theartvandalay81...welcome to the Profile Reviews forum.
You are a handsome young guy, so that will clearly be beneficial.

My suggestion is to eliminate things like bathroom selfies...they are too predictable.
Also take out the last sentences about a response note. If the woman does not respond...that confirms she is not interested, besides, who wishes to have an inbox utterly filled with rejection notes? That would be depressing! You want the notes in your inbox to be from enthusiastic and exciting women who might wish to MEET you live. :-)

Conventional photograph suggestions are to have a friend take two dozen well-lit, OUTDOOR, crisp photographs using a high-quality digital camera...which is preferred over a fuzzy cellphone. This is primarily due to better ergonomics and superior capability of a camera to process available light. Include a variety of backgrounds, activities, and various articles of clothing to add greater interest. Make sure there are enough without hats, sunglasses, or costumes. Have both close-ups and full-body images. Upload the best pics of the bunch. Ensure you continue to date and caption each...to make them more entertaining to read. Good luck with your romantic search. :-)
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help! I need a profile review from a womans perspective!!!