Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Yep, please take a look and review      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JohnyJohn7
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Yep, please take a look and reviewPage 1 of 1    
I think my profile is ok but there is always room from improvement.

I'm most interested in the first impression women form when then look at it. What kind of person do they judge me to be. Stand-out positives and negatives.

Any constructive criticism welcome, thanks guys!
 Forums_only
Msg: 2
Yep, please take a look and review
Posted: 11/4/2014 6:44:07 PM
I was immediately drawn to the photo with the smile because of the gap (my husband has one, too!) but the caption is obnoxious. Don't do that.

The main photo you have now is really nice. How about just a little grin?

Stats, Interests are ok....

Unfortunately I remember the photos more strongly than the profile body. How about a little bit of description/detail/elaboration on some of those points?

Are you really overwhelmed with incoming messages and need those restrictions? Especially the same country/within 75 miles. Would they not still be in the same country or the ocean if they go 75 miles in any direction?

First impression? "Probably not a serial killer. Probably.."
 JohnyJohn7
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2014 6:52:08 PM
Thanks for you input.

I've had ladies tell me the gap caption made them laugh. I know some girls would be put off by the teeth so that's how it deal with it.
As for my restrictions. I'm old enough not to be wanting to waste too much time ;)
 Forums_only
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/4/2014 7:00:00 PM
Of course you are. You're practically decrepit already. How many did you have swamp your inbox before you decided you needed to prescreen? You could always do what the women do when they get bombarded with emails from undesirables. Ignore them. Even better, contact the ones you find interesting first.

If the gaption is working, great. It may put off someone with a great sense of humour because it is a bit trickier reading sarcasm than a straight comment. Again, if it's working, great!
 tatersprout
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/4/2014 10:53:52 PM
Hi John,

First, the email restrictions:
How much mail have you received from picture-less men or women >50 yrs old that live outside the UK?
Thought so.
Just get rid of all.

Love the guitar photo.
The shirtless pic is against site rules...could get you nuked.

Interests should be activities, likes or things you study. You have enough real ones, so delete the lame fluff like "talking nonsense, laughing, a good story...."
Don't repeat interests down below unless you are going to elaborate.

Woman--not girl.

Otherwise, pretty solid profile :)
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/5/2014 1:50:33 AM
Get rid of the shirtless pic, it's against the rules.
The other pics are pretty good, you could try the Chamonix one as a main? See which one works best.
I'd change the gap caption to something humerous rather than aggressive. Mind the gap?

Your age restriction <50 is pretty pointless since there's a hard-coded restriction of +/- 14 years anyway. And how do you think a woman your own age would view this filter? "He's looking for an older woman". This restriction is putting off women in your target audience. No guy needs any message filters on this site (except "female" if you get messages form gay guys). They don't achieve anything. Filters make you receive less messages, not more.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/5/2014 6:17:25 AM
Makes for a dull read when you use so many Is.
Are some of your photos older? They should all be current
Women your age usually prefer being called WOMEN, not girls.
You consider yourself " sexy as hell"???!!!! hmmm
You don't need restrictions unless your inbox is exploding
Your first sentence just repeats your interests
 ScooterSB
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 2:41:23 PM
You pictures paint you as a guitar playing fun loving action-jackson.

The you text is just a bunch of cliches and vague descriptions.

You say you are geeky, how? Why is this something to be celebrated about you, so much so it is the first thing you talk about.

Seems like about 90% of guys on here these days claim to be geeky, so what sets you out from the crowd?

Be more specific!

You profession is IT/Film that actually sound interesting, why no mention of it in your profile text.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/5/2014 3:55:33 PM
Your shirtless photo needs to go. Yes, well-chiseled bodies are nice to look at and I know you must work vigilantly to maintain it - but the rules here prohibit shirtless photos on profiles. For good reasons.

Apart from that, you are very handsome; I'll give you that much. Sexy as hell? lol. Do you show offs ever leave anything to the imagination? Get rid of that whole boondoggle. It makes you appear a lusty, run-of-the-mill goon, whom no lady with taste in interesting men will accept. Seriously. You can exude sexuality without having to advertising it.

The written portion of your profile is average, drab, and boring; I've seen the same cookie-cutter "about me" submissions on dozens of profiles. Impress upon yourself to illuminate your intellect, delve into your interests and how'd you like to share those with the lady of your preference, witty anecdotes might be interesting if written well. You need to put personality into your profile. This is about you, too; so you should make this about you.
 JohnyJohn7
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 4:22:07 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Made some changes and more to come.

Keep them coming.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/5/2014 4:32:07 PM
My suggestion is to discard the inbound email restrictions.
Two of the most remarkably stunning women I ever dated from this website had no pictures.
When I say beautiful...I am talking shockingly supermodel beautiful.

They had grown weary of the same trite, tiresome, and threadbare notes from guys.
In response they hid their own pics and opted to contact guys in whom THEY were interested.
Had I had a picture restriction in place, we wouldn't have enjoyed a handful of fun dates.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 5:32:33 PM

I'm a geeky guy who is interested in a huge range of things and enjoys a challenge...

Such as? What challenges have you taken on in the past?

I much prefer to be doing something new....

'Like the time I......'

than talking about the same old bollocks.

Please don't swear in your profile, it's not attractive.

I don't follow the crowd, unless they happen to be headed in the same direction as me.

When have you gone away from 'the crowd'? When has the crowd followed you?

SPECIFICS! Otherwise it's meaningless words.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/5/2014 5:36:16 PM
Can't see the changes
Keep waiting for the honey to rain from the sky.. I think you are broadcasting
 JohnyJohn7
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 5:47:03 PM
I'd like to point out this isn't an essay for my GCSE english coursework ;)
I'm just trying to arouse enough interest to lead to a bit of chat and perhaps a date.
 JohnyJohn7
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 5:48:24 PM
"Keep waiting for the honey to rain from the sky.. I think you are broadcasting"

What a wonderful phrase. Wish I knew what it meant..
 Ouija2025
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/5/2014 5:56:10 PM
It means
Because some people told you that you were attractive
you feel you don't have to do any work
I'm sorry, did not realize I was typing in Sanskrit
Nice fangs
 JohnyJohn7
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 6:07:50 PM
Ok, time to take my immaculate but lazy ass to bed.

Happy fishing and spread the love folks!
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Yep, please take a look and review